PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter Stephen Silleres "Tunnel to Tower Run"

CarolNYC
09-25-2006, 03:01 AM
Well,
I ran thrugh the battery tunnel yesterday with about 15,000 people-it took me 51 damn minutes-how a firefighter with all his 100 lb. gear on did it in 18 minutes is beyond me-all in all I can say :BEEN THERE,DONE THAT!
Carol_it was so hot, people were ripping off there clothers-the biggest inspiration was all the firefighters holding flsgs throughout the tunnel rooting us all on with pictures of the 343 that passed away-that made me run faster!ha ha ha
Take care!
Carol:)~375,000 is a good amount to raise-I like it!:)

CurrentArchive

Into the light at 9/11

15,000 tunnel racers honor Bravest

BY NICOLE BODE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thousands of Bravest and their supporters emerge from the Battery Tunnel in a run/walk to honor Stephen Siller, who made same, heroic trek on 9/11 before his death.

Stephen Siller

More than 15,000 people raced through the Battery Tunnel yesterday to remember rescue workers' ultimate sacrifice on 9/11 - and to recognize the plight of survivors battling chronic health problems.
"As a wife, I'm constantly worried about his health," said EMT Dawna Mraz, 40, of Levittown, L.I., whose husband, Firefighter John Mraz of Engine 248, carried a flag for the fallen during the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers 5K run.

"It's on our minds," added Dawna Mraz, who also worked in The Pit and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a form of chronic fatigue, in 2004.

The annual charity race retraces the last steps of Siller, a Squad 1 firefighter who was off duty when he ditched his car in Red Hook, Brooklyn, and hauled 60 pounds of gear through the tunnel into Manhattan.

He was last seen at West and Liberty Sts.

The run route started at the Gowanus approach to the tunnel in Brooklyn and ended at West and Vesey Sts. in Manhattan.

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, on hand to congratulate the racers, praised the Siller family for helping remember those lost on 9/11.

"Even though this happened five years ago, people haven't forgotten," Giuliani told the tens of thousands crowding Vesey St. across from the World Trade Center site. "In fact, they remember even more now."

The race raised more than $375,000 for the Siller family's Let Us Do Good Children's Foundation, which donates to the firefighters' burn center and other causes.

Firefighter Paul Salisbury ran the entire route in full firefighting gear in Siller's honor.

"Stephen Siller was a friend of mine; I just wanted to turn out for him," said Salisbury, of Ladder 78 on Staten Island.

Capt. Pat Ginty of Ladder 175 in Brooklyn was grateful he could finish 5 kilometers when some of his fellow Bravest can't even get out of bed because of respiratory problems believed linked to Ground Zero.

"I just hope it doesn't happen to me," said Ginty, 39. "I try not to think about it."

Originally published on September 25, 2006

Fresh stories hot off the site every day via RSS!

Have stories like this emailed right to your inbox!

Email this story

Printer-friendly version

Home | News & Views | Sports | Entertainment | Business | Boroughs | City Life | Services

All contents 2006 Daily News, L.P.
Terms and Conditions of Use | Privacy Policy

wolfdancer
09-25-2006, 09:51 AM
I think it speaks well for NYC to have so many people turn out for that memorial event. We usually just get the worst news about it's denizens....and the $375k is an awesome amount.
(I gotta ask though....how much did Ann coulter kick in?)
We know the death toll, but I wonder how many NYC'rs..have had their health seriouly impacted, and their lives shortened from this attack?
Well, Kudos to NYC
......the city will never be confused with Lake Wobegon, but it'll alwways be interesting