PDA

View Full Version : Predator Z shaft for beginner player?

MrBomboko
09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I was considering buying a Predator Z shaft instead of a 314 with my new cue, but I’m not sure if that would be a good choice for a beginner player like myself. I ask this because a guy I’ve talked with recently said that it was easier to adapt to the Z shaft (which he considered far superior to the 314) if you haven’t already got accustomed with a “traditional” shaft. In other words, if you plan on using a Z shaft later on, would it be better to start using one right away? Wouldn’t it be harder to learn to properly shoot straight with a Z?

Thanks in advance for your help!

marek
09-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Hi!
While I am always for any advantage player can get from his/her equipment (low deflection shaft in this case) I wouldnt recommend Z-shaft to a beginner. Its beacause of narrower shaft - it has 11,75 mm tip diameter compared to 12,75 mm of 314 or 13 mm of conventional shafts. If you consider yourself a beginner you may find out that you put unwanted spin on the cue ball with Z-shaft, your stroke has to be very precise to take advantage of Z-shaft. 13mm shafts have larger margin of error when striking the cueball. On the other hand if you consider yourself a beginner due to the little tournament experience but your fundamentals are ok then I see nothing wrong with Z-shaft in your hands... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif You can play jacked-up shots or shots from the rail much easier with Z-shaft due to smaller tip diameter and the precision while playing sidespin on the cueball is second to none. The only problem I find about Z-shaft is stronger taper where you may found it a little disturbing to play with closed bridge. But that is something player can get used to after few practise sessions.

bluey2king
09-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I agree with marek. At this point try not to use english you will to unlearn and then relearn all of this. Spend some cash on 1hr lesson with an instructor! Do not go to a player that is real good lots of times they dont know how to teach what they know. Your money will get you playing position much faster with a good stroke than with spin. Don't get me wrong english is fun but you will learn faster taking the proper steps. A training cue ball $20 a Stroke Trainer and Four lessons will be less than a Z shaft. If you buy a quality cue around $130 you will do just fine.
My 2 cents worth
Good rolls