PDA

View Full Version : most balls on break (8 ball)

dongw34
09-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Yesterday I made 6 balls on the break in 8 ball. 3 solids, 3 stripes and one in each pocket. What are the odds?

what dwillets@senecacom.net

bsmutz
09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
14,708:1

wolfdancer
09-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Wouldn't you need to know the coefficient of restitution of the cushion rubber, and dew point temp to calculate those odds?
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/guides/maps/sfcobs/gifs/dwp.gif

rackem
09-26-2006, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Wouldn't you need to know the coefficient of restitution of the cushion rubber, and dew point temp to calculate those odds?
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/guides/maps/sfcobs/gifs/dwp.gif <hr /></blockquote>
No, actually I think we need to know the BS coeffecient.
1st time poster just registered today /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Maybe he joined just to tell us? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cycopath
09-26-2006, 10:28 AM
A friend of mine did the same thing. I doubt if his went in each pocket though.

A guy playing in league one night broke and made all the stripe balls. He then had a tough shot on the 8 ball, and wound up scratching on it.

supergreenman
09-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Last high number of balls I saw go down was 7 4 of one suit 3 of another. The guy lost after running 3 balls and missing shape on the 8.

Oh well.

James

wolfdancer
09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
ah, the old BS coefficient....had totally forgotten about that. lol

supergreenman
09-26-2006, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ah, the old BS coefficient....had totally forgotten about that. lol <hr /></blockquote>

The BS coefficient is inversly related to the number of posts a person has in %72.3143487788992222 of a sample population

sack316
09-26-2006, 11:39 AM
my best and worst came at the same time. Made 6 balls on the break in 8 ball once upon a time. 1 solid (yay!), 3 stripes (yay!), the 8 ball (yay!), and also the cue ball (boo!) for a total of 6 and a quick loss on the scoresheet.

Sack

dongw34
09-26-2006, 01:04 PM
You are right I am a first time poster but I wanted to know if this had happened to any one else. I play at Fun n Sun RV resort in San Benito Texas. We have a billard room with 8 9' tables and I have four witnesses as to what happened. I'm not looking for kudos just curious if anyone had seen this done.
Don Willets email dwillets@senecacom.net. Thanks for your replies.

marek
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
6 balls on the break in 8ball equals my personal best which I made about 5 years ago. Also cue ball went down so it makes seven balls on the break.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh and I almost forgot that the ferrule of my breaking cue cracked with that break shot!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You know, solid hit! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was able to repeat the break with 6 balls down only once which was 3 days ago during practice and I almost ran out of position for 8, I had to play sharp cut which I made. It reminds me of the 9ball tournament in Germany in the city of Bayreuth where they had 4 tables and 50 players to play (you could pay entry fee twice and you got two spots in the bracket which almost everybody did so the total number of "players" got to 100). It was like 3 or 4 am of the second day of the tournament and the tournament was still on. I was called to play my match. I won the lag and broke the rack so hard and precise that 5 balls went down while the rest 4 balls stayed in perfect stopball pattern. Guess what? I miscued on the first shot!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I won the match in the end so this story stays in my memory as a funny reminder of the fact that I cant shoot when I am sleepy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cornerman
09-26-2006, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dongw34:</font><hr> You are right I am a first time poster but I wanted to know if this had happened to any one else.

<hr /></blockquote>I've made 7 on a bar table. Didn't run out. I highly doubt I made a ball in each pocket.

Fred

Deeman3
09-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I once made a ball without scratching, a personal best.

DeeMan

wolfdancer
09-26-2006, 03:29 PM
The 6 balls on the break seems reasonable enough, one in each pocket, and 3 of each group, raises the eyebrows a bit.
But play this game long enough though, and you'll see the impossible, made possible, and usually against you....
congrats on a great break!!!
I just bought CeeBee's Breakrac, to see if I could eventually make a ball on the break, not scratch, and have a shot.
hope there's a one year money back guarantee, if this doesn't happen.

Fran Crimi
09-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Just jumping in for a minute, Marek...

Did everyone remember to control their cue ball? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran ~~ sorry...couldn't resist.

mantis
09-26-2006, 08:46 PM
5 balls while playing 9 ball was my best break. I was actually able to finish the rest of the rack. The remaining 4 were set up pretty easily.

Fran Crimi
09-27-2006, 05:08 AM
My comment was a joke from an earlier discussion where certain people felt it was more important to control the cue ball than to focus on making a ball on the break. Not me, though.

Fran

poolturtle
09-27-2006, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I once made a ball without scratching, a personal best.

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

I'm right there with you Dee /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I was in the last round of a local tournament. The other guy won the toss and got to break, and then proceeded to drop 4 stripes on the break. It spread out the solids really well, and left him with either a long, but wide open shot down the table, or a short, but extreme (close to 90 degree) cut shot on the stripes.

The guy tries to be the bad ass and takes the cut shot....makes it....and goes 3 rails around the table to scratch.......leaving me with a wide open table on 7 solids all set up perfectly for a run out with stop shots. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman3
09-27-2006, 07:33 AM
I feel his pain. Last night I had a game against a slug and had a thin cut into the corner. I knew I was headed for the opposite corner but did hit a little inside to take it to the first diamond. I hit it thin, made the ball and scratched into the very corner I was wanting to avoid. DeeWoman says, "I thought you said only idiots scratch on that shot!" I put on the dunce cap and sat silent the rest of the night.

DeeMan

marek
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi Fran!
Right now I am making balls on the break AND controlling the cueball more often than not. And YES, I still think that controlling the cueball on the break is VERY important!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif And YES, more than half of those players didnt give a s..t about controlling the cb during the break. But those who did were usually the better ones. So I try to fall in the second group... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
09-27-2006, 07:23 PM
In 9 ball its important to have a good QB because IF you make a ball, you have to run out.
In 8Ball, making a ball and keeping the QB on the table are your priorities.

Lets not forget that the Pros in the IPT / US Open etc are breaking on new cloths. This makes a big difference.

Qtec

DickLeonard
09-28-2006, 04:53 AM
Sack The legend of Troy, Andy Bakerian put 7 of 9 in and got stitched by the nineball.####

StormHotRod300
10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
during league two sessions ago, i make 6balls on the break! 3 solid, 3 strips.

The only shot i had was on solids. And it was a tricky run out. I pot all the balls and leave myself long on the 8ball and end up rattling the 8ball in the pocket lol.

But i still won the game.