PDA

View Full Version : Last opponent ball rule

RHZ
09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
While playing 8 ball, I called my ball in the side pocket. The ball was pocketed and the cue ball deflected into the last opponent ball. That ball was also pocketed and my opponent claimed that i lose a turn because it was their last ball on the table. Has anyone played with this rule?

Bob_Jewett
09-28-2006, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RHZ:</font><hr> While playing 8 ball, I called my ball in the side pocket. The ball was pocketed and the cue ball deflected into the last opponent ball. That ball was also pocketed and my opponent claimed that i lose a turn because it was their last ball on the table. Has anyone played with this rule? <hr /></blockquote>
You can pocket as many of your opponent's balls as you like on any shot and you do not lose your turn for it.

wolfdancer
09-28-2006, 10:30 AM
it sounds like one of the infamous NYC bar table rules, which change from bar to bar, on a weekly basis.
As " Captain Bob " states....t'aint no rule out here on the more urbane West Coast

rackem
09-28-2006, 07:30 PM
You will need to also need to make a good hit and pocket one of your own also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dr_dave
09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RHZ:</font><hr> While playing 8 ball, I called my ball in the side pocket. The ball was pocketed and the cue ball deflected into the last opponent ball. That ball was also pocketed and my opponent claimed that i lose a turn because it was their last ball on the table. Has anyone played with this rule? <hr /></blockquote>
The next time somebody tries to con you with a bogus rule, pull out a copy of written rules to show them (or ask them to show you a written copy of their "rules"). You can find a rules summary and the full sets of rules under "for reference" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/resources/index.html).

Regards,
Dave

Bob_Jewett
09-29-2006, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackem:</font><hr> You will need to also need to make a good hit and pocket one of your own also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Well, yes, but I was particularly careful in my wording to not point this out or to mention any of the many other things that must or must not happen on a shot for a player to continue at the table. What I said was that you do not lose your turn for pocketing your opponent's balls. What I did not say is that you keep your turn if you pocket one of your opponent's balls, which is clearly false in many cases.

When discussing the rules, it is important to both read and write carefully. For several years the rule book read to the effect that "it is a foul to have at least one foot not touching the floor" or something similar. This does not say what the author intended. Fortunately, someone who understands English eventually corrected that sad phrase.

Fran Crimi
09-29-2006, 09:12 PM
While your answer was absolutely correctly stated, the problem with it is that in order to fully get the meaning of it, the person reading it must have an in-depth understanding of the rules. If they had an in-depth understanding of the rules, they would have no need to ask the question.

I would restate your answer by saying you can never lose your turn in 8 Ball solely because you pocketed your opponent's ball. There must be another reason to cause the loss of turn, such as a foul, or by not pocketing a ball from your own group.

Fran