PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments and calcutta

killerstroke
09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
I am looking for opinions on a conflict of interest. A local poolhall has a handicap 9 ball tournament weekly at 2 seperate locations owned by the same gentleman. Should he or any employee of his have any right to bid in the calcutta? There have been rumors of him giving money to people and who they should bid on. Every week people who work at the hall buy approx. 80% of the field. I pay attention to the results which are posted on the net, and it is amazing the shuffling of the rankings. Thnaks in advance.

Fran Crimi
09-28-2006, 09:30 AM
It's my understanding that the calcutta is illegal if somebody is taking a cut. So, unless 100% is paid out, the event could be raided by the police at any time. I've seen that happen, too. An unhappy player makes a phone call and it's all over.

Assuming this is a legal calcutta, the staff and TD should not be allowed to participate. No way, no how. Anyone involved in setting the handicaps should not be allowed to bet. If the staff is responsible for 80% of the money taken in, then you don't have a real calcutta. You have a sham.

Fran

killerstroke
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I didn't mean they are taking in 80%, just that they buy 80% of the field. All money is given out. I do believe it is legal, I just don't like the idea of them having control of the rankings and buying into the calcutta. I have seen players win a tournament, one month later their ranking is lowered, and guess who buys them, the owner. Thanks Fran!

ceebee
09-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I like Calcuttas, but I probably wouldn't play in either of those two tournaments. If the local players have no say or appeal about competing player's handicap setting, I'd say somebody is conducting business...

hey what do I know

Good luck to you...

pooltchr
09-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I have made bids in a calcutta while I was running a tournament. I always made it a point to let everyone know that I was the one making a bid. If someone wanted to bid more, they were welcome to do so. I just hate to see someone who has a legitimate chance to win, go for the minimum bid.
Steve

Alfie
09-28-2006, 10:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote killerstroke:</font><hr> [possibly fixed handicaps and calcuttas] <hr /></blockquote>I can't understand how people can participate in calcuttas at handicapped tournaments, even if the handicapping is legit.

Fran Crimi
09-29-2006, 05:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote killerstroke:</font><hr> I didn't mean they are taking in 80%, just that they buy 80% of the field. All money is given out. I do believe it is legal, I just don't like the idea of them having control of the rankings and buying into the calcutta. I have seen players win a tournament, one month later their ranking is lowered, and guess who buys them, the owner. Thanks Fran! <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very clearly. I meant that unless all of the money is given back, then the Calcutta is illegal. Most people won't bother to run a Calcutta unless they take a cut. No good. Also, I meant that if the staff are the ones who are contributing to 80% of the calcutta money, it's a sham.

I totally agree with you. Get those people who do the rankings away from the Calcutta if you can. You'll probably wind up with no Calcutta, but you'll at least have a decent tournament.

Fran