PDA

View Full Version : How Long Does It Take You To Get Into Stroke?

TomBrooklyn
02-23-2002, 12:48 PM
How long does it take you to get in stroke? If you had the luxury of however much warm-up time you wanted prior to your first match in a tournament, how much time would you allow to get in peak stroke, but not be ready too early and have to wait?

Patrick
02-24-2002, 11:36 AM
If you know what you are doing on the table then you don't need to get warmed up, you need warm up to remember the feeling you have when you are warmed up.
Practice alone and see how long until you play well, use that same warm up time in tournaments.
You should always use the same warm up time for consistency!

Patrick

02-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Tom,

I'm just a schlep banger but I am at least as qualified as Patrick to answer your question. LOL!

30 minutes minimum. Enough time to hit some easy shots to get your elbow loose, some "draw" drills, and fire off some long straight in shots. If I had my druthers I would practice for 60 minutes immediately before my match. That's assuming we live in a perfect world. I think that was a great question. I'm surprised more people didn't respond. But I think if you got 100 responses you would get 100 different answers.

stickman
02-25-2002, 12:09 AM
Tom, I was very inconsistant. Sometimes I needed very little or no warmup, and other times it took me an hour or two before I started hitting my stroke. Normally if I played long enough, I began to find my game. A friend evaluated my stance and stroke, and gave me some pointers. He's an very good 7 skill level. Since he helped me, my warmup required has shortened dramatically. Normally 30 minutes is plenty.

02-25-2002, 09:47 AM
I'd say 20 - 60 minutes, depending on how frequently I've been shooting in general. And once I'm warmed up, having a wait between matches doesn't affect me too much. One thing I've noticed, when I'm doing my warm-up (or my first game if I haven't had time to get in stroke), I can't worry about mistakes. That old question "how ya' hitting 'em today" - if I put a judgement to it too early, I'll shoot like a toad all day. I have to passively observe until I get past the sloppiness that sometimes comes with being cold.

02-25-2002, 01:59 PM
I don't practice before a match, it makes me nervous. I start to feel pressure if something is not going well and my practice time is running out.

If I did practice before a match, I think running a rack is enough.

Best, Ron.

SPetty
02-25-2002, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>If you had the luxury of however much warm-up time you wanted prior to your first match in a tournament, how much time would you allow to get in peak stroke, but not be ready too early and have to wait? <hr></blockquote>
Holy cow! That's quite a luxury! I'm the exception - I'd prefer about an hour and a half with just me and the table. No other teammates to play against; no other people to talk to; nobody watching; no added distractions. This would give me time to go over shots and drills and thoughts and mantras, etc. to get to the best place I could be for that time. I've only had that kind of time once - when I stopped at one pool hall to practice on the way to the other one for league night. But for the most part, it is impossible, and I limp by on a few warmup games with teammates.

Scott Lee
02-25-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm the same way...one rack is plenty to get me "in stroke"!

Scott Lee

Kato
02-25-2002, 03:35 PM
What is that? Well, to play my best will take me somewhere around 1 hour or so. Approximately 10 minutes later it's gone.

Kato~~~dead stroke is more a mystery than women.

Rod
02-25-2002, 06:34 PM
Well I don't play near as much as many do, but if I
played say 3 times a week for 2 or 3 hrs, then it would
take about 20 to 30 minutes. If I plan to play in a tournament, then I practice elsewhere for 30 min. Then it's
a matter of hitting a few balls at the tournament site.
Interesting enough I may not be playing all that good at
warm up before the tournament, but still play very well
during the tournament. My thought is get warmed up and go play. For me spending extra time to play better may not
be of any avantage. I like the competition to bring out
my best game. As far as the wait time, unless its real
lenghthy it makes little difference. I think most of us
are or should be geared ready and focused to play, and
forget about the details.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-26-2002, 07:04 PM
15 balls on the table and about 5 to 10 minutes, is usually good enough for me.