PDA

View Full Version : Tip Shaping Radius?

belford
09-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Shaping your tip to Dime(9.1) or Nickel(10.5) radius.
What is better for accuracy, deflection and not miscuing?

Jal
09-30-2006, 08:14 AM
A dime is more accurate in the sense that the contact area is closer to the center-axis of the shaft. For a given offset of this axis, dime will produce more squirt (deflection) since it produces more spin. I don't think that either shape has an advantage with regard to miscuing.

Jim

BillyJack
10-01-2006, 12:46 PM
As a 50+ year old returning to the game after a 30 year absence, I've been tinkering with tip radius in search of any kind of advantage to offset my declining eyesight. Take it as one man's opinion, not scientific fact. I've made shapers with 120 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper glued to different sizes of plastic pipe or tube. My results indicate a smaller radius is best for pinpoint accuracy in short, sharp cut shots with heavy English (which is probably why it's the snooker player's favorite), but larger radius gives a little more forgiveness with hard hits or longer shots. My current favorite is 1 in. ID tube less .040 sandpaper, which is close to a .950 Quarter shape. Any larger moves the contact point out too far on the tip when you're using heavy english. You might want to try some different sizes for youself, and give them all a test at the table. Email me for shaper constuction details if you wish. Hope this helps.
Bill

c.holtz009
10-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Normally, I will start with a dime radius, and after playing a while, your tip will take the radius that suits how YOU play.

dr_dave
10-02-2006, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote belford:</font><hr> Shaping your tip to Dime(9.1) or Nickel(10.5) radius.
What is better for accuracy, deflection and not miscuing? <hr /></blockquote>
FYI, my July '06 instructional article (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/2006/july06.pdf) discusses and illustrates the effects of tip shape and its relation to miscues. You might find the article interesting and useful.

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
10-02-2006, 09:24 AM
can't get this to open...any suggestions?
i use Firefox....and i have Adobe reader..thanks
also get a "forbidden..." messagewhen I removed the pdf from the url

dr_dave
10-02-2006, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> can't get this to open...any suggestions?
i use Firefox....and i have Adobe reader..thanks
also get a "forbidden..." messagewhen I removed the pdf from the url<hr /></blockquote>
The link works fine for me. You can try instead going to the articles section of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/) and clicking on the July '06 article. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to suggest (except try a different computer operator /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif).

Regards,
Dave

belford
10-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the help

dr_dave
10-02-2006, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote belford:</font><hr> Thanks for the help<hr /></blockquote>
You're welcome.

Welcome to the forum.

Dave

MrLucky
10-07-2006, 07:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote belford:</font><hr> Shaping your tip to Dime(9.1) or Nickel(10.5) radius.
What is better for accuracy, deflection and not miscuing? <hr /></blockquote>

I shoot with a Moori hard tip and use a dime radius done with the ultumate tip tool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif