PDA

View Full Version : Dings in Shaft

griffith_d
07-15-2002, 05:32 AM
I just bought a Predator BK and it has two dings it the shaft,...they are not too bad. What is the best way to get them out?

Griff

Chris Cass
07-15-2002, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr> I just bought a Predator BK and it has two dings it the shaft,...they are not too bad. What is the best way to get them out?

Griff <hr></blockquote>

Hi Griff,

I don't know about the Preditor but I'll take and boil some water. Then, take a cotton ball and dunk it, sqeeze it out and hold it against the ding. Repeat as necessary. Some say sand the small ding and drop a drop of water in the dent. S.W. says the use a un-used glue gun and a wet paper towel. I believe it should be against the law to not use a glue gun for it's intended purpose. hahahah Either way you'll have to resurface the wood after you swell out the ding.

Regards,

C.C.~~that's how I do it.

stickman
07-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Dean, I normally moisten a small piece of toilet paper and place it over the ding. Let it sit there until nearly dry. Remove the TP and check to see if the ding has been drawn out. If the ding is higher than the rest of the shaft, you can use a drinking glass and carefully glass the bump out. I finish with a piece of 2000 grit paper, then leather burnish the shaft, and seal with carnuba wax.

TomBrooklyn
07-15-2002, 09:24 AM
Most of the dings I get are very small. They generally range from about the size of a pinhead to about 3/16" long and 1/8" wide.

At that range of sizes, applying a dampened cotton ball or a piece of toilet paper would seem to more than cover the ding. Wouldn't that raise the wood in too large of an area?

I wet a cue tip and by touching it to the wood very lightly am able to apply a spot of water just onto the ding itself, and sometimes a little bit onto the undinged perimeter. The water gets absorbed into the wood in a couple of minutes, and then I reapply more until the ding is all the way out. Sometimes I have to reapply as many as 10-20 times.

07-15-2002, 09:48 AM
take a damp towel (notwet just damp) and place it over your cue.. then take your iron and place it on the towel over the spot to be brought out. rock the iron back and forth for about 5 seconds and dent is gone...sand with 2000-2500 grit and burnish

stickman
07-15-2002, 09:51 AM
I'm sure that I overlap my dings somewhat, but honestly haven't seen enough swelling around the ding to be noticable. You well may have a better idea.

07-15-2002, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: griffith_d:</font><hr> I just bought a Predator BK and it has two dings it the shaft,...they are not too bad. What is the best way to get them out?

Griff <hr></blockquote>

if it's really tiny then just put some spit on it, wait a few minutes and try to find the ding. repeat till you can't. a little burnishing after does not hurt. maybe leather or a dollar.

bigger ding? wet a q-tip and lay it on the spot. leave a while (20 min.?) burnishing as appropriate. i don't like using heat due to the chance of warping the wood, especially on a new shaft. glassing is good if you are ready to do the whole shaft. if you just do a small area then you've got the grain laid down in one place and not on the rest of the shaft.

no sanding, your problem is not too much wood, it's just that the wood at a point got compressed. puff it back up or compress all the wood to match(glassing).

dan

Cueless Joey
07-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Stick a wet rag in the micro for 30 seconds. Take it, place it top of another rag or oven glove. Slide it up and down and around the shaft. Let shaft dry.
Sand it with micro mesh.

Jay M
07-15-2002, 12:06 PM
put a little bit of spit on the ding (only for small ones) and then light a match, let it burn for a sec and blow it out. Apply the still hot match end to the ding. sand it lightly.

Works remarkably well.

Jay M

griffith_d
07-15-2002, 12:14 PM
Thanks,...I tried the cue tip with cold water. It still was there. Maybe I need to keep trying it and maybe warm water.

As I looked at it, the varnish on the shaft I would think would prevent the water from getting to the wood to make it swell.

I will give it another whirl.

Thanks,
Griff

stickman
07-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Wow, I didn't know it had a varnished shaft. None of my sticks have a varnished shaft, so I've never had any experience removing a dent from one.

07-15-2002, 06:10 PM
DAMP CLOTH AND IRON A DING IS COMPRESSED WOOD STEAM WILL MAKE THE WOOD SWELL NO SANDING

griffith_d
07-15-2002, 06:12 PM
I guess that is the wrong term,..but the Meucci shaft I have seems to have the "varnish/coating" removed almost all the way to the joint, which is normal to me. The BK seems to have none of it removed.

Griff

TonyM
07-17-2002, 11:41 PM
There are several ways to remove dings from a shaft. One way is to steam out the dings. Either place the affected area into a steam source for a few seconds (don't over do it - a small kettle is sufficient - just work on the affected areas) or place a cloth with a wet area over the ding and iron the area to create steam. Steam causes the wood to swell and the ding (which is usually compressed wood) rises until flush with the rest of the shaft (sometimes even above!). Allow to dry thoroughly and polish out the raised grain with some fine wet or dry paper (600 to 1000 grit -use sparingly).

Another way is to wet the area of the ding (warm water works as well as anything - I just use my finger, but a Q-tip would work as well) and then wrap the area with a piece of white paper (normal laser print paper - (not glossy!) works o.k.). Cut the paper into a thin strip first and wrap it around the dinged area. You can leave the strip overnight to dry and the ding will "lift", or you can iron the paper to get the job done faster.

Same advice for removing the raised grain as above.

If the shaft is also dirty, you might want to give it a thorough clean with Dutch Cleanser applied with a damp cloth (or Q-clean if like expensive Q products!). Then wipe the shaft off with a clean damp cloth and allow to dry. The water will raise all the grain including the dings. The entire shaft will have to be sanded to remove the raised grain though.

I ignore small nicks and only fix larger nicks (on my personal shafts). I try and prevent any larger nicks from occurring in the first place (watch out for metal bridge heads, they can leave a shaft nicked in a hurry!).

Some players seem to suffer from the "Princess and the Pea" syndrome and fuss over the slightest nick or irregularity with the shaft. Many pros play with shafts that would cause most amateurs to shudder! But I've mentioned the theory behind this before.

Tony
-doesn't suffer from the Princess and the Pea syndrome.... a few little nick's never hurt nobody!