PDA

View Full Version : A stupid question...

aritoni
10-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Are there any tricks to pocketing a ball on the break in a game of.. 3 ball? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
----------------------------------

pooltchr
10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Yes...find the right place to aim, and always hit that spot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

ras314
10-01-2006, 05:37 PM
First figure out how to get them racked exactly the same way every rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
10-02-2006, 06:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote aritoni:</font><hr> Are there any tricks to pocketing a ball on the break in a game of.. 3 ball? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
---------------------------------- <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it can be approached methodically by understanding the physics of ball interactions.

There are two basic 3-ball racks, "three-in-a-row" and "triangle". For three-in-a-row, you throw the center ball to a back corner pocket. For triangle, you bank a corner ball.

Around Dallas, "three-in-a-row" racking seems to be favored on bar tables. It's also the trickier and more complicated break shot, but here's how I make a ball:

1. Practice alone to get a feel for, and calibrate, this shot. Place the cueball about 4-6 inches to the right of the head spot.

2. Aim directly at the second ball, which means you will hit the head ball slightly right of center.

3. Cue with a firm draw stroke. Shoot as if the head ball is not there, and as if you are trying to draw the CB back 2 or 3 feet after hitting the second ball squarely. Of course, you'll actually hit the head ball, but I'm describing the methodology for determining how to hit the rack.

4. If executed properly, the second ball will roll into the left corner pocket at the foot of the table.

5. Experiment with a perfect rack to calibrate the shot. Ofsetting the CB more to the right, and keeping the same aimpoint (straight at the center ball), throws the 2nd ball further to the left. Offsetting the CB less has the opposite effect, making the 2nd ball roll more toward the back rail.

6. Less draw and more speed throws the 2nd ball more to the left. More draw and less speed pushes the second ball more toward the back rail.

7. If the rack is not straight, determine to which side of a straight line the center ball protrudes. Offset the CB to the opposite side, but not so far from the head spot as if the rack were perfectly straight (the 2nd ball offset increases the side throw). If the rack is really cocked, even putting the CB on the head spot may still result in the 2nd ball going to the side rail. Ask for a re-rack.

With good racks, you should be able to push the second ball to within a few inches of the corner pocket nearly every time, and many times it will drop.

SpiderMan

ras314
10-02-2006, 01:22 PM
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AATY3BBim4CBBl2PAMO3VBim3VOCk3Vboj2VFll1VcCD4WB Bl4WNtm4WbiJ1WEvk2WbtG2kAMO3kALI3kAxM3kAxN@

One way to start with the triangle rack. If one ball is not frozen sometimes the touching rear ball will run about where it should, the ball with the gap will not roll as fast and probably most any off angle depending on where the gap is.

A perfect rack and break will sometimes have the crossing balls hit each other. Ain't going to happen too often.

Sometimes you can "push" a corner ball to a corner pocket if the whole rack is twisted.

Whatever break used I usually try to leave the cb as near center table as possible. If nothing hits it or goes there is usually at least a decent run for a 4.

I don't drink enough these days for 3 ball to be much fun for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif