PDA

View Full Version : help me identify this variation of billiards??!

CoryJ128
10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
My first post, so be kind...

I was recently taught a variation of pool that I can't seem to find the rules for anywhere, and I'm hoping someone can help me identify it.

You play with only the 1, 2, and 3-balls and the cue ball. You place the 1 on the head spot, the 2 on the middle spot, and the 3 on the foot spot. The winner of the lag for break then has ball in hand (anywhere on the table, not required to be in the kitchen) and the goal is to either sink any object ball, or to combo any object ball into any other ball.

Doing either of those things nets you a point, and doing both would net you 2 points (i. e. if you knock the 1 into the 2 and pocket the 2, you get 2 points, one for the combo and one for the pot, OR... if you knock the 1 into the 2 and the 2 hits the 3, that also = 2 points, one for each combination).

Every time any ball is pocketed, it is brought back out and placed on its starting spot before the next shot takes place.

As long as you score at least one point on your shot, you continue to shoot, "floating" your points on the scoring beads, but if you scratch during your turn, you lose any points you accumulated that turn, and the incoming player has ball in hand.

You play to 50 points, using the standard wooden scoring beads that hang over the table

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks in advance!

CJ

cushioncrawler
10-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Hmmmmm -- one of the rules iz sure to be that u karnt simply sink a ball off its spot time after time -- koz u could eezyly run-out by playing baby screw-backs -- or even baby run-throoz. Ok -- let me guess -- one rule iz sure to be that any pot off a spot must involve a combo, or, the qball must contact a cushion before or after.

And, if 2 ballz are close together near midcushion, it would be eezy to combo one onto the other etc etc -- and/or then turn around and combo the other onto the one etc etc, untill the cowz came home -- so this would need some sort of limiting rule allso.

But it soundz interesting -- i suspekt that players would go crazy (crazyr) if they had to play straight pool or 8ball or 9ball all of the time (not that i play any ovem -- i play english billiardz) -- hell, i dont even play snooker. madMac.

Bob_Jewett
10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CoryJ128:</font><hr>... I was recently taught a variation of pool that I can't seem to find the rules for anywhere, and I'm hoping someone can help me identify it.

You play with only the 1, 2, and 3-balls and the cue ball. You place the 1 on the head spot, the 2 on the middle spot, and the 3 on the foot spot. The winner of the lag for break then has ball in hand (anywhere on the table, not required to be in the kitchen) and the goal is to either sink any object ball, or to combo any object ball into any other ball.... <hr /></blockquote>

It sounds a lot like Cowboy. If you can't get a BCA rule book, see the article at : http://www.onthebreaknews.com/Jewett4.htm#July06

dave
10-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Sounds like Cowboy billiards to me too, only you don't combo balls, you "carom" them. You can sink one of the balls for it's numerical point value or carom balls for 2 points. If say, you sank the 2 AND caromed into another ball that would be 4 points. We used to play this on a 12 ft. snooker table. Maximum points on a single shot is 7 points ( sink the 3 and carom into BOTH the other balls). Balls are respoted to the nearest center spot. Play to 50 points. BUT. You have to hit 50 exactly. If you go over, you have to return to zero points and keep shooting. We also had a different opening break requirement. The three balls were positioned on each of the center spots. Cue ball in the snooker kitchen (the D). You had to shoot two rails first into a carom to open.

dave
10-02-2006, 08:36 AM
I may be mistaken but I think the rules can still be found in the BCA (Billiard Congress of America) rule book.

iralee
10-02-2006, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CoryJ128:</font><hr> My first post, so be kind...
Anyone know what this is?
CJ <hr /></blockquote>

It sounds a lot like cowboy. I just learned the rules myself recently at a club in Manhattan where they are very serious about two games: cowboy and bottle-pool. At the club they use carom-sized balls on 5x10 foot tables with 4.5" tight pockets. Beautiful conditions to tune your stroke.

There are essentially three phases to the game: Pocketing/Caroming, Carom-only, and in-off. In the pocketing stage you may either pocket or make carom shots up to 50 points exactly. Pocketing earns: red=2pts, blue=5pts, yellow=1pt while caroms earn 1 (straight-rail carom) or 2pts(caroming into all three balls). In the carom-only phase you play to 5 pts exactly. The final phase is a single shot called an "in-off" (a carom into a scratch) - which must be played off the yellow ball. You must finish each stage before proceeding to the next. If a ball is pocketed, then it is re spotted on their original spots. Red at the foot spot, blue in the middle and yellow in the head spot. The opening shot must be off of the red ball.

Bottle-pool is essentially the same except the middle blue ball is replaced with a bottle. Caroming into the bottle (with the cue) during the pocketing phase is worth 5 (or 10 pts if knocked right side up). Another difference in bottle-pool is that on the opening shot, the red and yellow balls are placed frozen to the far end rail each one diamond from the corner pockets: red to the left and the yellow to the right side.

It is an extremely interesting game that combines pocketing and carom skills very nicely. I am actually looking forward to playing the game again tonight at the club. Playing carom mostly, I'm used to shooting large balls around on a 5x10 carom table, so the setup is strangely pleasant to me (same dimensions involved - except with pockets).

-Ira

iralee
10-03-2006, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iralee:</font><hr>
It sounds a lot like cowboy.... <hr /></blockquote>

Correction: that's 3 points for pocketing the red.

-Ira

cushioncrawler
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Bob -- i read your article on Cowboy -- it looks to have most of the features of English-Billiards played on a 12' table.

I wonder if it iz worthwhile playing proper EB rules on a 9' table (it would need a Dee drawn in chalk temporarily).

I woz in Adelaide for the Ozzy Open Billiards -- the best break (run) woz 638pts -- the final woz a 6hr head to head match. Allso, in the same week, the Ozzy National Billiards -- the final woz a race to 6 -- each game being to 150pts -- max break (run) woz 154pts. madMac.

Bob_Jewett
10-03-2006, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> ... I wonder if it iz worthwhile playing proper EB rules on a 9' table (it would need a Dee drawn in chalk temporarily).... <hr /></blockquote>
The main problem is that compared to a 12-foot table, all the shots are a lot easier. Someone (Sincerely Sam? Billy Bob?) proposed some modified rules for EB on a pool table. As for the D, I think you could just restrict the cue ball to a patch two diamonds across and a diamond deep behind the headstring.