PDA

View Full Version : Hercek or Tad or Tascarella cue??

07-15-2002, 10:49 AM
If you had to rank each in playability (without regard for design or collectibility), how would the ranking fall?

Now, if you had to rank each just in terms of collectibility and most likely to be a good investment, which would you pick?

Any response would be appreciated. A friend of mine only has enough cash to buy one of these, so he's in a bind. We could all have his problem........

Cueless Joey
07-15-2002, 11:11 AM
Hercek. I don't see one being resold that often.

07-15-2002, 11:35 AM
They are all well made cues and I was fortunate enough to try all three. IMHO I would have to rank a Tascarella full-spliced cue on top of both lists, playability and collectability.
I guess this question is similiar to: Which of these three cars drive better and which one has a better resale value?
Mercedes, Porche or BMW?
It just personal preference. The buyer should base his decision on what work best for him.
but thats just me

07-15-2002, 11:45 AM
I'd say a lot depends on what game your friend plays, Val, although you generally can't go wrong with any of those cuemakers. If your friend is partial to straight pool, then I'd vote for the Tascarella, as he was a good friend of George Balabushka's and tailors his cues along those lines. Tad Cues, both excellent and largely economical, are favored by short-games players; Hercek has been a cuemaker for far less time than either of the other two - he was a cue dealer for quite a while - but his reputation is quite flawless. GF

07-15-2002, 11:49 AM
I have sold Tad cues before, but have never had the opportunity to play with one for an extended period of time. Pete and Joel's cues are both made excellent and to the highest standards. Both are in high demand, play excellent (if you like a hard hitting cue), and hold all of their value and some. Tascarella cues are more traditional, while Hercek cues can be too, Joel also makes some pretty elaborate works of art.

gypsy

07-15-2002, 12:26 PM
Here are some examples Tascarella's and Hercek's.

http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/tascarella.htm

http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/joelhercek.htm

maybe this will help in his decision...

gypsy

Cueless Joey
07-15-2002, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: gypsy:</font><hr> Here are some examples Tascarella's and Hercek's.

http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/joelhercek.htm (http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/tascarella.htm>http://proficientbilliards.com/examples/tascarella.htm</a>

<a)

maybe this will help in his decision...

gypsy <hr></blockquote>...........
I'll take both.

07-15-2002, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>If your friend is partial to straight pool, then I'd vote for the Tascarella <blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>

Curious? As to why only straight pool. I have one and it hits the balls SUPER in all games I play. I even had Pete make a 3-cushion shaft for it so I would not have to switch cues when playing 3-cushion billiards.
I only wish I could play up to the cues ability more regularly. But I guess I'm not alone with that statement.
but its just me

07-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Tascarella once told me he uses Balabushka's original machine shop equipment to make his cues. He purchased it from George's wife after his death. I wouldn't be surprised if he got some of George's specs along with the equipment because his cues are very similar to Balabushka.

Fran

07-15-2002, 08:08 PM
for me this is a no-brainer, i'd choose the Tad for both playability and collectivity, but thats just my opinion. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

BLACKHEART
07-16-2002, 12:08 AM
You will never be unhappy with a HERCEK CUE. His Qs play like a dream &amp; his finish is beautiful. Other than a BLACK HEART, I would play with one of Joel's Qs any time...JER

Rod
07-16-2002, 01:09 AM
I've only played with an early Tad, when the old man was making the cues. Nice cue, but I no longer own it. I looked at the pictures on gypsy and noticed the grain in the two shafts of a Hercek. While he may be a good cuemaker, his pick of maple for those shafts left a lot to be desired. I'm not a fan of coarse grain shafts. It could be a poor example, but an example all the same. What ever he buys, people need to be aware of what their buying. The last two shafts I ordered I specified a very tight grain. There was more but I did say I would send them back if not satisfied. They were made perfect. Just a little info for ya.
I really liked the looks of the Tascarella, but that is an individual preference.

07-16-2002, 02:29 AM
in what manner is a cue tailored to straight pool?

Scott Lee
07-16-2002, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: George Fels:</font><hr> Tad Cues, both excellent and largely economical, are favored by short-games players; GF <hr></blockquote>

George...you must be a little out of touch! Tad's cheapest plain cue is $1200! That's more than a Cognoscenti OR a Samsara! LOL

Scott Lee

Voodoo Daddy
07-17-2002, 11:36 PM
Pure playability...Tad for me. Collectable I would say a custom Tad or a Tascarella, though I have held/played with three of Pete's cues...none of them had fantastic shaft wood {even one made for Steve Mizerak} Never held a Hercek so I couldnt say, but they sure do look nice. Is it true he has Burton Spains equipment? Maybe George Fels knows....

Voodoo

07-18-2002, 10:43 AM
I never meant to imply that a Tascarella cue was good ONLY for straight pool, so I suppose I could have been more clear. As Fran says, he models his cues after Balabushkas, and when George still ruled, straight pool was still king on the east coast and just about every top player had one of his cues. Those cues featured stainless-steel joints just about exclusively, and most 14.1 expert players feel that metal joints deliver a more absorbent, "mellow" hit than that of the stiffer ivory or synthetic joint. Since straight-pool players hit the ball more softly on most shots than those of any other cue game, that feel is critical. Hope this clears things up for both you and Arnie. GF

TonyM
07-18-2002, 02:12 PM
"If you had to rank each in playability (without regard for design or collectibility), how would the ranking fall? "

I've hit balls with each of the cues (at least two examples of each) and here is my personal impression (playability only):

1) - Tascerella - beautiful hitting cue. Very solid and lively. Great shaft wood, very dense and solid. You can't go wrong here.
2) Tad - a bit of a diferent hit, but also very nice.
3) Hercek - for some reson all of the Hercek's that I've tried have seemed a little bit "dead" when compared to the Tascerella. Not sure why, it might be the shaft wood.

A friend of mine owns several Tascerella's as well as a few Joss Wests. Bill Stroud told him that if he didn't make cues himself, he'd get a Tascerella to play with.

For what it's worth...

Tony