PDA

View Full Version : I am "Left-Eyed?"

Mrs_DG
10-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I've played pool just for fun for many years, but get very frustrated when the ball never goes where I want it to go. Then my loving husband (far more experienced!!) asked me which eye I used when aiming.
I never really thought about it, but realized that I am dominant with my left eye and was aiming what I thought was my right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyone else have this challenge and have tips to straighten this out (other than having my eyes removed and relocated in opposite sockets)

Mrs. DG
never could see 20/20 anyway...in fact I can't even read the big letter on the top of the eye chart without my glasses /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif...

Tony_in_MD
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Don't have this problem, but here is a solution used in other shooting sports.

Take a pair of light colored sunglasses, and put a smeer a dab of vasoline over the center of the left lens.

Practice shooting with the glasses on, center your right eye over the cue. In time this will train your right eye to be dominant.

SoCalCarl
10-03-2006, 11:24 PM
I've read (and seen it posted) that many great players were right handed but left eye dominant. If you naturally possess that combo, you might try working with it before trying to train your way out of it. Centering your dominant eye directly over the cue is what many advocate.

BTW: How do you know that you are left eye dominant?

cushioncrawler
10-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Mrs DG -- there are lots of good tips in the archives -- but, with all due respect to some old posters (and a few that will soon post here), i could never train myself to pozition my head and eyes over the cue in some other pozzy other than my "natural pozzy" -- whenever i tried to get my weaker right eye more over the cue (or less over the cue), my brain allwayz hurt.

Here iz my suggestions, worth a try.
Tip No1 -- hold your cue at the very end of the butt, and thusly uze the maximum length of bridge -- this will get your eye(s) the max dist away from the qball -- hence u will tend to hit the qball closer to center than what u do now.
Tip No2 -- hold your chin further from the cue (ie further above the cue) -- this will give a more accurate perception of the contact on the qball and of the ball-to-ball line allso.

If its any consolation -- one of my mates, a New Zealand Maori, had only one eye -- yet, for some unknown reason, he allwayz hit the qball a long way off center, every shot (i would have reckoned that he would have learnt to hit dead center) -- even so, he won my club'z Snooker Championship.

And, another one of my mates won the Ozzy billiards championship, and the Ozzy snooker championship, in the one year, even tho he had the worst line-up i have ever tested (compared to other top players that i have tested) -- i guess that he played and praktised so much that it didnt matter. madMac.

Billy
10-04-2006, 01:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mrs_DG:</font><hr> ... but get very frustrated when the ball never goes where I want it to go ... [/i] <hr /></blockquote>

have a hard time getting the balls to go where I want them to go too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

being left eyed dominant while playing right handed is not that uncommon. what all seem to do though is to somehow get their left eye over the actual line of aim. Tony Mougey (sp?) of Ohio is a classic example and he's a world class player

continue playing thru it ...

jmo

dr_dave
10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
FYI,

"Dominant eye" is a perennial topic on the forum. If you want to check out some past postings, see the dominant eye links under "aiming" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mrs_DG:</font><hr> I've played pool just for fun for many years, but get very frustrated when the ball never goes where I want it to go. Then my loving husband (far more experienced!!) asked me which eye I used when aiming.
I never really thought about it, but realized that I am dominant with my left eye and was aiming what I thought was my right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyone else have this challenge and have tips to straighten this out (other than having my eyes removed and relocated in opposite sockets)

Mrs. DG
never could see 20/20 anyway...in fact I can't even read the big letter on the top of the eye chart without my glasses /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif... <hr /></blockquote>

Scott Lee
10-04-2006, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> FYI,

"Dominant eye" is a perennial topic on the forum. If you want to check out some past postings, see the dominant eye links under "aiming" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mrs_DG:</font><hr> I've played pool just for fun for many years, but get very frustrated when the ball never goes where I want it to go. Then my loving husband (far more experienced!!) asked me which eye I used when aiming.

Mrs. DG
never could see 20/20 anyway...in fact I can't even read the big letter on the top of the eye chart without my glasses /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif... <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

It sure is...and it has NO bearing on how well you can learn to play pool. At pool school, we have an exercise to help you determine where the cue should be, for you to SEE a straight line to the shot...and it has NOTHING to do with what your "dominant eye" is.

Scott Lee

dr_dave
10-04-2006, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>"Dominant eye" is a perennial topic on the forum.<hr /></blockquote>It sure is...and it has NO bearing on how well you can learn to play pool.<hr /></blockquote>
I agree 100%. Vision and perception are too complicated and personal to simplify into a "formula" that works for all people. The focus should be on results. Each person should find the head position and sighting technique that helps them create the most accurate cue tip contact point and aiming line.

Sometimes I like to check my contact point and aim by temporarily closing the eye that is not over the stick. This provide a different type of view of the shot (with no depth perception info but perfect alignment with the aiming line) that adds confidence to my alignment. To me, the more info the better.

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
10-04-2006, 10:14 AM
with all due respect to your loving husband, the good Doctor, Scott Lee, and everyone that places a premium on the dominant eye placement theory for aiming....
I believe since we have binocular vision, your brain will make the sighting adjustment for you....automatically.
If you line up with your dominant eye centered over the cue...close the other eye....and the cue will still appear to be on line....close your dominant eye...and it will appear to be lined up wrong. Place the cue under your weaker eye, and the results will be reversed.
Place the cue centered between your eyes and it'll appear to be a little off one way or the other, when you alternately close each eye. In his day, Cyclops was the best pool player around.
If you've ever threaded a needle...you weren't worrying about dominant eye.....
I played for some years, with an inability to make long shots with a high percentage. I found out the problem was not with my sighting, but my cue alignment which pointed slightly inwards, a result of my stance.
I can now pocket these shots with some regularity, even though these new cheap balls they are selling have fuzzy edges.
now that I have saved you hundreds of dollars in pool lessons on this urban legend (invest in the Bates vision correction method instead)....I think you should send me some of PA's famous goat's milk fudge....lol

Rich R.
10-04-2006, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> with all due respect to your loving husband, the good Doctor, Scott Lee, and everyone that places a premium on the dominant eye placement theory for aiming....<hr /></blockquote>
I read Scott Lee's post and it seems to me that he said that dominant eye didn't make any difference. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mrs_DG
10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr>

Tip No2 -- hold your chin further from the cue (ie further above the cue) -- this will give a more accurate perception of the contact on the qball and of the ball-to-ball line allso.
madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="purple"> </font color> This makes sense. I notice that usually the harder I try to aim (chin close to the cue) the worse I do. But if I "stand up" I do better. Although, I am vertically challenged and that may have an effect, too.

Thanks for the ideas and taking the time to answer a question that is old to many but new to me.

Mrs. DG in central PA
Missing Steve Irwin....

randyg
10-04-2006, 05:42 PM
There are many drills available in which one can test their straight line. If the dominant eye were such a big factor, then Earl Strickland and Keith McCready would be all wrong.

It's very important to put our cue on that straight line, where ever any of us may see it.....randyg

Mrs_DG
10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>
I can now pocket these shots with some regularity, even though these new cheap balls they are selling have fuzzy edges.
now that I have saved you hundreds of dollars in pool lessons on this urban legend (invest in the Bates vision correction method instead)....I think you should send me some of PA's famous goat's milk fudge....lol <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="purple"> </font color> Oh yes... I understand the fuzzy edged objects all too well. They go right along with the clothes dryer that continues to shrink all our clothes.
Thanks for your words of wisdom - but where I live we don't have goat's milk fudge, but OPERA FUDGE which is divine (and doesn't hold up in the mail too well).
Mrs. DG in central PA

Snapshot9
10-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Do like I do, aim long shots with left eye, and close shots with the right eye .... lol You see, I have to because I have to be mono-visioned with my contact lenses.
My left is for distance, and my right is for reading.
I went to the eye doctor 2 days ago, and have to go back
next week. I am long overdue for new contacts.
They can only correct my eyesight to 20/35 at best.
My vision is 20/800 in my right eye, 20/1000 in left
with astigmytism front and back on my eyes, and corneal
scarring (accident when I was 26). AND YOU THINK YOU
HAVE PROBLEMS AIMING .... ROFL

Now, If I can win a State BCA 8 ball Championship on my eyes (3 years ago), think about how good YOU SHOULD BE
doing .... LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
10-05-2006, 08:05 AM
You're exactly right on that point Rich!

Scott Lee

Fran Crimi
10-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Mrs. DG,

Let's say that Scott Lee and Randy and those who agree with them are right, that dominant eye has no bearing on how a player sights his or her shot. From what I understand, their reasoning is based on the binocular way we view things. That kind of talk is over my head and out of my realm of understanding. I'm not an eye doctor.

I will share with you some facts that I've accumulated over the years, though. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of players I've taught, (and those who I remembered to find out which eye was their dominant eye), it's amazing that, execpt for the occasional few with specific eye pathologies, they all naturally pulled their cue sticks under their dominant eye. Now, maybe it's just a freaky coincidence....But you'll have to admit....It's one helluva coincidence.

My guess with you is that you're probably trying to pull the cue under your dominant eye subconsciously, which is on the opposite side of your body as your shooting side. If you don't adjust your stance to accommodate it, you'll have a tilted cue, that angles from outward to inward. If you were playing golf, you'd be slicing the ball into the next fairway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First get your left eye over the line of the shot, then place your cue under your eye. You'll probably have to stand more sideways to the cue, meaning face the cue stick a bit more. Try to feel your cue stick in a straight line, from front to back. Then, once your head is set, don't move it because where your eye goes, so goes your cue stick. Do this setup very deliberately and very carefully. If you do it consciously every time, you should be able to keep your arm straight. Good luck!

Fran

ARJ
10-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Great post Fran.

I'm serious when I say this because sometimes I come off like a smart A$$. I'm wondering if you might have just helped my golf slice? I guess the only way to figure that out is to go to the range.

I've screwed around with the dominate eye theory because of things I've read on the CCB. I didn't play better, I didn't play worse, and when I stopped considering it I was much happier. I've never been a great player, heck, I've probably never been good. But some days, when the stars are aligned I play ok /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mrs. DG, these are all things we have to decide for ourselves over time. It's certainly worth your while to walk down this path for a time. But whatever your decision is, don't let it frustrate you in the long run. Relish in every shot you make and furthermore, every day you have on the pool table. It's a beautiful game and you're a beautiful person. Enjoy it for what it's worth.

ARJ

randyg
10-06-2006, 04:00 AM
From Fran's post:

"Then, once your head is set, don't move it because where your eye goes, so goes your cue stick."

Best info yet. Great job Fran.....SPF=randyg

Mrs_DG
10-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Fran, Thanks for your ideas. I'll give them a try and let you know.
The reason I ask this question is that this has been a consistant problem for a few years and has left me frustrated to miss my shot so often when I am sure I aimed correctly.
Thanks! I'd like to win the CCB tournament in 2007!
Mrs. DG

ras314
10-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Mrs_DG, I can't relate too well to your particular issue with eyesight. Since I had cataract surgery in the right eye it now focuses well at long range while the left eye works well at short range. I apparently have no eye dominance so I just ignore what eye I'm looking out of.

What I do find does help is to concentrate on basic good fundemtal strokes. It is absoutely amazing how many times this is the real problem rather than the eye issue.

Of course the old advice of shooting 10,000 balls a day probably works pretty good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

freddisam
10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
There's a way to tell which is your dominant eye. With both eyes open, point your finger at something across the room. Then, without moving your finger, alternately close one eye, then the other. When you have your dominant eye open your finger will remain "aimed" at your target, but when the other eye is open your finger will no longer be pointed at it--it'll look as if it's jumped to the side. It can be a real problem if you're left-eye dominant, but a right-handed shooter--whether you're a hunter who's aiming at game, or a pool player.

cjt08046
10-24-2006, 01:35 PM
By God, Fran, I think you're right...I'm also left-eye dominant but right handed (makes shooting rifles awkward, but I digress), and I have noticed a "pull" in my pool shots, especially on long ones. Another poster (later on in the thread) gave good advice about concentrating on getting the stroke straight. Good stroke mechanics do wonders for compensating for the left eye vs. right hand conflict. Thanks to all for the insights.