PDA

View Full Version : When you see your pool hall slacking

StormHotRod300
10-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Do you mention to the owner or manager if you see the pool hall slacking in areas?

Ok, the pool hall that i have been going to on a consistent basis for the past 18months has been slacking for the past couple of months.

And its only in a few area's, and I've mention'd this a couple times to the owner who, loves to play pool but doesnt seem to want to do anything about it.

Heres a list of the things

1- All of the tables have bad rails! And I mean every table has atleast 3 to 6 bad rails. Some of the rails are only held up by the felt!!

2- The cloth needs to be changed, or should have been changed 6months ago. Some of the tables its so bad you can see the slate at the head spot and where people break at.

3- The balls get cleaned well, i'm not sure when they get cleaned lol. Its probably been 3 or 4 weeks maybe more.

Now, I've always been one to help the owner out cuz i like hanging out there and seeing a good thing happen. And it usta be that the owner would let me clean all the ball sets up 2 or 3 times a week, normally mon-weds and fri.

Which was nice because i would spray them down with ball cleaner and they would get a nice polish on them and play excellent, which would dampen the notice of the dead rails.

But once she hired a new girl in all this stopped.

I even mention'd to the owner the stuff i noticed, and went so far as to tell her, i would be going to another pool hall because of this stuff. Yet i get the who cares lol,

But she is quick to ban someone from the pool hall if said person, does something so somebody doesnt show up anymore and heads to another pool hall.

Now I've even tried to explain that if the ball sets were cleaned daily, I would be in here 4 or 5 times a week, which i had been, and playing, gambling or practicing for several hours. You'd think it would be a no-brainer right? nope.

Now I've even gone so far as to buy my own Aramith Premier set and a Pro-cup CB, so if i want to play thier or have a game set up, i bring them in all polished and use them.

I've also heard of the horror stories about how some places never clean the balls??

Yet I went to Lansing Mich @ Pockets for a tourny, and the sets where cleaned often during the tourny. Go figure.

Rich R.
10-04-2006, 02:40 AM
It may be time to carry through on your threat and go to another pool hall. The owner obviously doesn't want to put any time or money into the business.

StormHotRod300
10-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Rich,

I've been doing that, I've started splitting my time between the other two pool halls in town. Which i had kinda boycotted, for this place. And now I find myself going back to them lol go figure.

I guess i find it kinda funny, that I can go outa town, to pool halls and i get spoiled, with tables that are cleaned daily and balls that are so polished you could shave in them.

ras314
10-08-2006, 10:19 PM
You have no idea how bad it can get! Imagine some where it is 200 miles to the nearest pool hall. So you buy magnetic cbs (to get cb the same weight and size as the ob) for the local bar after they have their own coin tables and agreed to keep them up. When it gets smokey they open the doors whether it's raining, snowing or whatever. You can imagin how much the playing conditions can change (but it is the same for everyone). Then they move the tables every dance night and don't bother to level them on the wood floor (but it is the same for everyone).

Next closest place is 60 miles with slow red cloth and unreal dead rails, along with heavy cbs, abit the right size. Then there is a fun 9 ball bar tournament only 100 miles away that opens their tables for the correct weight and size red dot db. Of course the rails are dead and one tables rails are so low anything but low english will put the cb in the air.

Next place, also 100 miles, has three tables with a different cb size on each table, believe it or not.

So it can always get worse. But can be a heaven for an old fashioned hustler if he has some protection from the marks.

robodog66
10-09-2006, 06:34 AM
I'd have to move on. This owner you're describing sounds like he's/she's complacent with owning a pool hall and not too concerned with the upkeep of the place.

I knew of a person like that and he didn't make any changes unless it appeared as if it was his idea. A very arrogant man. Needless to say, he didn't stay open for much longer after that. All of his business went elsewhere and he was left with the neighborhood kids whom had no interest in pool but came in to play the video games.

Fran Crimi
10-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Well, the only thing I can say is that based on what you're saying, the owner is acting very stupidly. If I were you I'd give her my card and tell her to give you a call when she's on the verge of bankruptcy and looking to sell the place. Maybe you'll pick it up at a bargain.

Fran

StormHotRod300
10-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Well needless to say the owner, she isnt exactly the brightest star in the sky lol. She basically works 2 maybe 3 days a week, and lets her other employees run the place. And just lets the place go.

Fran, heres the kicker!!! lol in the small town i live in, there is 3 pool halls.

1- is a old school place, been around since the 60's, but most of the tables are 7ft Valleys and need new cloth. But they actually play better than, the PH that i posted about. But hardly anyone goes there anymore. And there is no $$ tournaments only free ones, for the newbies.

The other pool hall, has all Diamond tables /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The rates are the same as the other two pool halls, but the only tournament they have is a weekly 5$ straight 8ball tourny.

Which is nice to play in because normally its all the upper skill level players. But trying to get a game is difficult because, these guys all want 50$ to 100$ sets.

the only draw back to this place is that it has a bar, and cant have a calcutta. And they might clean up the ball sets once a month. lol But I have my own set that i bring in, so SOLUTION SOLVED LOL!!!

Now if i had the $$$ or someone to back me money wise. I would Open up a brandNEW pool hall, and keep the same rates, as these 3 places, but obviously have better service, clean equipment, GOOD tournaments with guaranteed first place prizes.

Its not that difficult of a job, its just nobody wants to actually do it.

DickLeonard
10-10-2006, 06:19 AM
ras314 Are you in Alabama? Bad equipment usually is a sign that pool is going downhill again. No business,no repairs,no enthusiasm by owner, soon no poolroom. ####

ras314
10-10-2006, 08:23 AM
####, this is NM, I don't believe you can get this far from anywhere in Alabama. Most local pool players are strictly bar players so there really isn't much to go down from, though I had hopes for a while. Two of us tried to improve things a few years ago, most had never played anything but 8 ball with bar rules in their lives.

The closest pool halls are in Albuquerque which now has three good pool halls but that is 200 miles.

I have noticed that just in the last few years several pool halls I've been by have gone out of business, especially in Texas. Some in Arizona have either folded or gone seriously down hill. I haven't been around much of the rest of the country but it sure does seem like pool is in a decline.

Rich R.
10-10-2006, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>Bad equipment usually is a sign that pool is going downhill again. No business,no repairs,no enthusiasm by owner, soon no poolroom. #### <hr /></blockquote>
Dick, in some cases, I think the lack of care and enthusiasm by the owners tend to chase away the business.
In one of the rooms I frequent, they had a change in ownership. Although the place is still full most nights, many people are getting disgusted because the new owners are not keeping the tables and balls clean, along with a few other problems. People are starting to look for other alternatives. If this place goes under, it is the fault of the ownership, not the lack of interest by the players.

Fran Crimi
10-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Boy, it sounds like if you opened up the right place, you'd get all the business from the other rooms. It seems like each one falls short in one way or another.

Fran

houseman
10-10-2006, 07:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>Bad equipment usually is a sign that pool is going downhill again. No business,no repairs,no enthusiasm by owner, soon no poolroom. #### <hr /></blockquote>
Dick, in some cases, I think the lack of care and enthusiasm by the owners tend to chase away the business.
In one of the rooms I frequent, they had a change in ownership. Although the place is still full most nights, many people are getting disgusted because the new owners are not keeping the tables and balls clean, along with a few other problems. People are starting to look for other alternatives. If this place goes under, it is the fault of the ownership, not the lack of interest by the players. <hr /></blockquote>

I have been in business here in pa for 13 years and I clean the tables twice a day and clean the balls every time after they are used. And do most of the things a player likes because im the owner and second a player, and business is still slow at all the rooms around. Even the action rooms are hurting.
The bar leagues hurt some and poker really slowed it down.

Im moving at the end of this month and I sure hope the interest is there in a new town.
highrun55
the houseman

Rich R.
10-11-2006, 03:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> I have been in business here in pa for 13 years and I clean the tables twice a day and clean the balls every time after they are used. And do most of the things a player likes because im the owner and second a player, and business is still slow at all the rooms around. Even the action rooms are hurting.

Im moving at the end of this month and I sure hope the interest is there in a new town.
highrun55
the houseman <hr /></blockquote>
Mickey, I didn't mean to imply that poor care by the owner is the only reason business will fade. Unfortunately, a lot of factors are hurting pool rooms lately. All an owner can do, to maximize business, is to keep his room in the best possible condition, just as you do.

Good luck in your new location. I wish you the best.

houseman
10-11-2006, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> I have been in business here in pa for 13 years and I clean the tables twice a day and clean the balls every time after they are used. And do most of the things a player likes because im the owner and second a player, and business is still slow at all the rooms around. Even the action rooms are hurting.

highrun55
the houseman <hr /></blockquote>
Mickey, I didn't mean to imply that poor care by the owner is the only reason business will fade. Unfortunately, a lot of factors are hurting pool rooms lately. All an owner can do, to maximize business, is to keep his room in the best possible condition, just as you do.

Good luck in your new location. I wish you the best. <hr /></blockquote>

I knew that,
thanks much
mickey