PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan, NATO, and America....

Dagwood
10-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Just thought I'd let all of you know that soon, all of Afghanistan is going to be run by Nato, including all but about 8,000 of the 24,000 US troops over here. Those not going to be under the NATO command will be those support personnel and flight personnel. Only one airbase in Afghanistan will be run by the US, (not sure where, though I can take a guess). I think this is important to point out because, in the war on terror here in Afghanistan, troops under NATO command generally do not have the authority and presence that American forces do and for the most part are getting their asses waxed. That is part of the reason that you are hearing more and more about southern Afghanistan. Just in the recent past, (4 months ago), America ceeded control of southern Afghanistan to NATO. Then everything went to hell. Now we're doing the same thing in the North and thinking that the same isn't goign to happen. Have we decided that having a stable Afghanistan is not worth the effort any more? Or does our government see the deteriorating situation here, in large part due to the opium and poppy trade (90% of the worlds heroin and opium came from Afghanistan last year, and this year's crop was 55% larger), and decide that we are going to separate ourselves from it and blame it on the international community? The Governmental situation out here has become so unstable and corrupt due to the drug trade that it is on the verge of collapse. Many different factors have contributed, but those listed above are the newest and most distrubing to me. I've gone from a soldier who was optimistic about our mission here, to an extreme pessimist who only see's dark roads ahead and a divided Afghanistan constantly struggling to dig it's way out of the dark ages and into the modern era.

Dags

Deeman3
10-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Dags,

Thanks for the information. I know the UN and NATO troops can in no way measure up to our troops. Keep safe.

DeeMan

Gayle in MD
10-05-2006, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Don't feel bad about it Dags. Most of us feel just as you do about what's happening overthere, no wonder you feel that way. Please stay safe! We're all pulling for you.

Love,
Gayle