PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning felt

mantis
10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
I have been told that it is a good idea to use a small handheld vacuum to clean your felt. Does anyone have any experience with this, and a type/brand of vacuum to recommend?

scaramouche
10-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Here is a link about table maintenance

http://www.fgbradleys.com/et_table_maint.html

ras314
10-08-2006, 07:20 PM
I use a small unit called a "Shark" mainly because it was "free" from some other order. The smallest Shop Vac with the brush attachment works well for me also, but is bigger to haul around.

No vacuum will remove stains than look ugly but don't usually affect how the balls roll.

BTW a favorite peeve of mine is the insistence by many places on using the chalk color that matches the cloth color. I would much rather be able to see chalk easily on the cloth and run a quick vacuum over it than pick it up on my fingers. Not that I care about it on the fingers but I REALLY don't like it when it transfers the bridge area of the cue!

dr_dave
10-09-2006, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I have been told that it is a good idea to use a small handheld vacuum to clean your felt. Does anyone have any experience with this, and a type/brand of vacuum to recommend? <hr /></blockquote>

FYI, there is some good advice under "how to clean" under "table" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

SPetty
10-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Yep, ras314 turned me onto the Shark awhile back. It's the best I've found for a pool table. I previously used a hand-held with a powered roller brush, and found through personal experience that it did actually raise little hairs on the table. Others had previously said that it was a good idea to use the powered roller brush because it helped pick up chalk better and didn't hurt the cloth, but I now believe otherwise. The Shark is a great little lightweight machine with a long cord that's perfect for pool table maintenance.

bluey2king
10-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I use "Quick-Clean" just spray on and wipe off. It works real well. Even on spots where I do drills and chalk for every shot and that makes quite a mess. Works good on the rails and even cue shaft, the chalk lifted off is impressive.

Bob_Jewett
10-17-2006, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I have been told that it is a good idea to use a small handheld vacuum to clean your felt. Does anyone have any experience with this, and a type/brand of vacuum to recommend? <hr /></blockquote>
There are varying opinions about using a vacuum cleaner. At many carom tournaments, where the run of the cloth is of prime importance in making the shots, a high-powered cannister-type vacuum cleaner is used several times per day. The other extreme is a total rejection of vacuum cleaning because it can do various bad things to the table.

My opinion is that vacuuming is the best way to get chalk dust and other dirt out of the cloth, and once a week is not too often to do it depending on how much use the table gets.

Be warned that on a badly-installed table, the gunk between the slate joints might pull up during vacuuming.

kevinkins
10-22-2006, 08:46 AM
I use a hand held vaccum every month and in between games one of those sticky lint removers. The non-sticky one can be used but one cant see if you pick up chalk.

catscradle
10-25-2006, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> I use "Quick-Clean" just spray on and wipe off. It works real well. Even on spots where I do drills and chalk for every shot and that makes quite a mess. Works good on the rails and even cue shaft, the chalk lifted off is impressive. <hr /></blockquote>

I use quick-clean regularly plus periodic vacumnings. Works good for me.