PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Motorcycle Battery While Charging?



Sid_Vicious
10-08-2006, 06:42 AM
I left a battery on a charger overnight and this morning it was literally boiling. I assume the regulator in the charger is shot, but the question is, "Is the battery possibly shot now?" It shows 13v with a volt meter, but I wonder if the plates maybe took a slam. Opinions???sid

wolfdancer
10-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Sid, probably not, if you are showing 13 v. You boiled off some electrolyte though for sure.
When lead acid batteries overheat, the plates will buckle, and if the seperators become damaged, some plates will touch, and the voltage differential between them will be lost. The most dangerous part of overcharging a battery, is that it gives off explosive hydrogen gas.
I worked with batteries on subs, took care of Boston's harbor bouy batteries for the Coast Guard, and was a service rep for Gould Batterys....none of that makes me an expert, but I have seen the results of a few explosions, and pictures of an entire battery room explosion in a sub.
Toss the charger....if you suspect it to be faulty.

Sid_Vicious
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
I made sure to pull the ac socket, then the connections. I really need a small trickle charger for the bike anyway, so that's a good sugestion. As far as the battery itself, I may ride locally with the thing as it is, but most likely will re-new it with a brand new one. Those bike batteries go out instantly, when least expected, even though my last one was 4yrs plus, and still spinning, but slow. Thanks, I'll be carefull and wise, money is not an issue for safety...sid

ras314
10-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Sid, all of what Wolfdancer says can happen. However if you have reasonable confidence the trickle charger is not defective some hydrogen bubbles during charging is normal.

If money is not an issue get a good charger that uses temperature to control charging current for the next battery.

Deeman3
10-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Sid,

Get yourself a nice G-bat and stop playing with these cheap ones.

All the things Wolf and company say are true. The best answer is to ride the bike often enough so you don't need a charger. You don't see many folks leaving there car on a trickle charge.

DeeMan

Sid_Vicious
10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone. The battery was young, but left to dwindle due to my lazy butt in not getting a rear wheel pulled off for a tire change(which I already have in my possession.) That battery was down to 10v this AM, so it's toast, my bad. I can use a new charger, yet not riding the bike was the trend of death. Funny though, my riding lawnmower can sit for months, and be charged readily.

One thing I did that may have helped it the death of this battery was that last time it was low on fluid, I topped it off with leftover acid(instead of water)I had from the initial fill. Maybe that's not a good thing in itself. Seemed logical at the time to give it a healthy boost with the pure acid...sid

Chopstick
10-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Wolfdancer~~~~~~>Knows his batteries /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chopstick
10-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Comeon Sydney, confess. You wuz out parting with some girls and forgot about it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif