PDA

View Full Version : can't get better???

1pkplayer
10-09-2006, 12:17 AM
To start out I have been playing pool for about ten years, and I would seem to me that around two years ago I hit a plateau. I play four to five times a week for hours at a time and im not getting any better. I do practice doing drills and match up as often as I can. I refuse to believe that im going to play this bad for the rest of my life!!!! I can run a few racks of nine ball from time to time but nothing special. My high run in straight pool is 55 which isnít to bad for someone who hasnít played the game there whole life but its not what im looking for.

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it
thanks
1pkplayer

Nordost_Valhalla
10-09-2006, 03:44 AM
Maybe this is something for you: http://poollogics.is-a-geek.net/articles/one/journey2.htm
[ QUOTE ]
The journey to perfection Part2 - The second awakening

1st: Suddenly I improved faster in 1 week than my whole life before that...
2nd: After only 6 practice sessions I had gone from an amateur to a pro and to Stephen Hendry's level and beyond.<hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
1) Did the non-interaction experiement. I went outside the house only 4-5 times during this period, and had less contact with stupid people.<hr /></blockquote>
This guy supposedly stopped playing for a whole year and improved from it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I think it may make some sense though. I heard that someone called "The Monk" went to live in a cave with a pool table. Is this the same guy?

Fran Crimi
10-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Ray Martin once told me that you have to be a great ball-pocketer before you can do anything else well in the game. He told me that's how he started. He used to pocket balls from anywhere on the table before he was able to work on his other skills successfully. I agree with him.

If you're playing a lot of 1P, you could be getting caught up in the moves.

In the long-run, it's the best ball-pocketers who win. After all, pool is about putting balls in pockets. Sometimes we forget that.

Become a great ball-pocketer---Better than you are now.

Fran

dr_dave
10-09-2006, 07:02 AM
You might be interested in "how to improve your game" and other links under "advice" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Good luck reaching that next plateau,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1pkplayer:</font><hr> To start out I have been playing pool for about ten years, and I would seem to me that around two years ago I hit a plateau. I play four to five times a week for hours at a time and im not getting any better. I do practice doing drills and match up as often as I can. I refuse to believe that im going to play this bad for the rest of my life!!!! I can run a few racks of nine ball from time to time but nothing special. My high run in straight pool is 55 which isnít to bad for someone who hasnít played the game there whole life but its not what im looking for.

thanks
1pkplayer <hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
10-10-2006, 11:10 AM
No, the difference is that the Monk, Tim Miller, locked himself up voluntarily for a year. To the best of my knowledge ,Patrick is still confined to the room pictured...which he believes to be the command center of the "Mother Ship" that is visiting from another planet.
Occasionally he escapes, assumes a new identity, and posts in the third person about his theories on
Tantric Pool
"In India, traditional Tantrikas spent many years under the guidance of a spiritual teacher and engaged in elaborate yogic rituals to purify and master the body and mind. These practices were intended to awaken the powerful psychic energies through which the adept could enter into higher states of consciousness.
Through this came the harmonization of their own internal masculine and feminine polarities and a realization of the blissful nature of the Self."

Deeman3
10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
1pkplayer,

I see many good players who hit that plateau and never move beyond it despite good overall skills. I'll say this for the one hundreth time. It's the basics....It's almost never the advanced shots and super position play we can all do from time-to-time but it is....

Delivering the cue smoothly with a quiet body letting the cue do the work

Learning the difference from hitting near the center of the cue ball from hitting "dead" center

Simple position play, not getting yourself into more trouble than you can get out of

Understanding pattern play

Calm play

Not complicating things by moving balls that don't need to move, not going three rails when one is simpler

Not loading up with English when natural position will do as well

Not worrying about the game but the ball and position at hand

Gee, if I'd only do this crap myself.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeeMan
I'm..............Comfortably Numb

FatsRedux
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1pkplayer:</font><hr> To start out I have been playing pool for about ten years, and I would seem to me that around two years ago I hit a plateau. I play four to five times a week for hours at a time and im not getting any better. I do practice doing drills and match up as often as I can. I refuse to believe that im going to play this bad for the rest of my life!!!! I can run a few racks of nine ball from time to time but nothing special. My high run in straight pool is 55 which isnít to bad for someone who hasnít played the game there whole life but its not what im looking for.

thanks
1pkplayer <hr /></blockquote>

If you really want to reach a new level, I suggest you avail yourself of the services of an excellent instructor.

The are many truly competent, caring, and professional instructors who post here on a regular basis. Perhaps you may wish to contact a few and talk about your situation and their suggestions for a training program tailored for you. I'm sure they'd be willing to discuss rates, amount of required training hours, and so forth.

In the meantime, get some good instructional materials (DVD's, tapes, books) and go over it. Go back and review all the fundamentals and most importantly make time to practice the basics in a regular, structured, disciplined, manner.

You can improve if you want to.

randyg
10-10-2006, 01:01 PM
1pkplayer: What City do you live in. I can help....SPF=-randyg

1pkplayer
10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
thanks every one, with any luck some of these suggestions will pay off. some one mentioned that there are instructors on this board, any screen names come to mind??
also I live in Ohio for the one gentleman who asked, I will gladly do what ever is needed to improve as long as my day job permits.

BillPorter
10-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Often, an excellent instructor can help you to move to a higher level of play. I can recommend Scott Lee.

dr_dave
10-11-2006, 08:50 AM
FYI, you can find info on pool schools and BCA instructors around the country via the links under "Pool Schools" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/links.html).

Regards,
Dave
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1pkplayer:</font><hr> thanks every one, with any luck some of these suggestions will pay off. some one mentioned that there are instructors on this board, any screen names come to mind??
also I live in Ohio for the one gentleman who asked, I will gladly do what ever is needed to improve as long as my day job permits. <hr /></blockquote>

1pkplayer
10-11-2006, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Often, an excellent instructor can help you to move to a higher level of play. I can recommend Scott Lee. <hr /></blockquote>

do you know where he is located, or how i might get in contact with him??

BillPorter
10-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Scott's email address is: Poolology@aol.com

1pkplayer
10-11-2006, 09:32 PM
got it, thanks

Scott Lee
10-12-2006, 12:29 AM
1pkplayer...Check your PM's

Scott Lee