PDA

View Full Version : Balance point: with or without shaft?

trokinine
10-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Sorry for this silly question but when searching for the balance point, should I do it with shaft or without?

On my custom cue, with shaft, the BP is about 4 inches to the top of the grip. Without, it is right the top of the grip.

Thanks

Rich R.
10-10-2006, 02:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trokinine:</font><hr> Sorry for this silly question but when searching for the balance point, should I do it with shaft or without?<hr /></blockquote>
With the shaft.

randyg
10-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Why would you need to know the balance point of your cue?????randyg

trokinine
10-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Because I read that back hand should be positionned 8-12 inches behind it. Being a beginner such an advice may help.

dr_dave
10-10-2006, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trokinine:</font><hr> Because I read that back hand should be positionned 8-12 inches behind it. Being a beginner such an advice may help.<hr /></blockquote>
I agree with Randy that grip distance from the balance point should not be a big concern. (I assume that is what Randy was implying.) More important is to have a lose grip with the forearm hanging down vertically. Also important is comfort, so if a cue stick doesn't feel right (because of its weight or weight distribution), maybe you should consider a different stick; otherwise, keep on strokin'.

Regards,
Dave

Rich R.
10-10-2006, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trokinine:</font><hr> Because I read that back hand should be positionned 8-12 inches behind it. Being a beginner such an advice may help. <hr /></blockquote>
I believe you came across some bad information.

Your back hand should be positioned so your forearm is approximately perpendicular to your cue. The balance point would only affect how your cue feels in your hands, when in that position. Some like a cue back weighted, some forward weighted and some neutral. That is a personal thing.

trokinine
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Your back hand should be positioned so your forearm is approximately perpendicular to your cue.<hr /></blockquote>

I agree but there are many positions that lead to have your forearm perpendicular to the cue, depending on bridge length, no?

pooltchr
10-10-2006, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trokinine:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>Your back hand should be positioned so your forearm is approximately perpendicular to your cue.<hr /></blockquote>

I agree but there are many positions that lead to have your forearm perpendicular to the cue, depending on bridge length, no? <hr /></blockquote>

Bridge length will require you to change your grip position so you can continue to remain at 90 degrees when you are addressing the cue ball. 90 degrees is the constant.
Steve

Cornerman
10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trokinine:</font><hr> Because I read that back hand should be positionned 8-12 inches behind it. Being a beginner such an advice may help. <hr /></blockquote>I was hoping you'd come back with something a little better than this.

Like:

I want to determine it so that when I buy a new cue, I can accurately tell my cuemaker where it needs to be for me to feel comfortable.

or

I need to hang it on the wall because I'm giving up this game, and I only have one nail.

or

I'm taking up tightrope walking, and I'll be damned if I can't find my balancing stick.

or

Because people on this board keep mentioning it, and I want to be on the same page.

Fred

P.S., cue should be completely assembled to find the balance point

P.P.S., the balance point means nothing without a cue length and a distance the BP is from one of the ends. Distance to the grip/handle/wrap means nothing.

wolfdancer
10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
"I'm taking up tightrope walking, and I'll be damned if I can't find my balancing stick."

As the great Karl Wallanda once said "balance point is everything"

trokinine
10-11-2006, 12:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>I was hoping you'd come back with something a little better than this.<hr /></blockquote>

Ok... Because I want to plug my Ipod into my cue so I need to set the balance to get a good stereo sound.