PDA

View Full Version : Cues, cues, cues?

cuetangclan
10-10-2006, 03:29 AM
Hello,

I live in Australia, where the American style 9 and 8 ball games are just begining to get a wider appeal and audience. So I've been looking for a cue that I can use playing with American balls, (our balls for eight ball are almost half the size of yours.)

The main cue I use for our style of game is a solid ash with an ebony butt, because it is a snooker cue the tip is only 8mm. Other cue tips over here only really go up to ten. The ash shaft has a lot more give than maple. You can't buy american cues here unless they have a Jim Beam label on them, and while I like the drink I don't think the cue is gonna do me any good in a tournament!

So, my question is. What cue should I order from America?

To help you out here's the way I play, maybe someone who plays similary can help me. My cue ball control is fairly precise, I like the cue to be about 20oz, I don't wack the bsll very often I prefer weighted shots. My budget will be around $300.
Thanks Guys. <font color="green"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color>

robodog66
10-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey Cuetangclan,
Unfortunately, you can't just experiment with several different cues from over here so picking one particular cue is going to be a tough choice. I know Meucci. Meucci cues have a soft hit, low deflection and loves english.

The big selling point for me is the soft hit and that you don't need to crank a ball to get the english to grab. It's all just a natural stroke for me to use different variations of english.

Meucci also has a lot of cues in your price range. Go to www.meuccicues.com (http://www.meuccicues.com) or do a google search and put in Meucci cues and find dealers that sell them.

Just one of many suggestions.

Good luck in your search,

Rob Doggett

cushioncrawler
10-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Funny-Thing No1 -- Phil Riley (Adelaide) a few years back won the South-Ozz snooker championship uzing hiz new Predator 4K1 (i think he said) -- he haz made a 141 snooker break with it -- 12mm tip i think -- parallel taper -- balance way way forward -- steel join -- zero inlays and zero linen and zero all that krap.

Funny-Thing No2 -- And in that same year 2 snooker players played-off in the grand-final of the South-Ozz 8-ball (or was it 9-ball) uzing their snooker cues.

Joe Minici (Sydney) told me that he recently bought a new Z2 (Predator??) -- he can give u the good oil on how it feels for a snooker player going to a Z2 if u contact him on hiz website.

Me -- i wouldnt buy anything -- u can soon convert a cheap snooker cue to say 11.5mm and say 20oz no worries at all. Dont even put a ferrule on -- just araldite a steel washer on the end, u wont even have to do that, if u use a leather tip with a bakelite backing (i think that lepro have a backing). madMac.

andrew
10-11-2006, 12:15 AM
hey cuetangclan,
where do you live? i can help you out. contact me on realpool.com.au

hondo
10-11-2006, 08:06 AM
In response to the Meucci suggestion.
20-25 years ago Meuccis were great.
Now everybody not trying to sell them
says quality &amp; service are very poor.
I'd be careful. Try McDermott, Joss,
or a nice custom sneaky pete.

robodog66
10-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Hondo,

That's the only thing I buy are the old non production line Meucci's. I thought I would have been too hard on Meucci if I tried to give my honest opinion on the new designs from my bad experiences. It looks like I'm not alone on this feeling. Thanks!

hondo
10-16-2006, 09:55 AM
I have a 25 year old Meucci Ol-1, " The Diamond".
Still straight, original tip &amp; ferrule. Although
technically a production cue, Bob Meucci took about
3 months to make a new cue for me so really I got
a custom cue.
Since then I've found a few cues I love: Kikel, Olney,
Scruggs, but my Meucci ranks right up there.

Cornerman
10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuetangclan:</font><hr> Hello,

I live in Australia, where the American style 9 and 8 ball games are just begining to get a wider appeal and audience. So I've been looking for a cue that I can use playing with American balls, (our balls for eight ball are almost half the size of yours.) <hr /></blockquote>What does Quinten Hann play with?

I'm going to guess that you'll end up with something more like a billiard cue or a snooker cue. Something similar to what you've got, but maybe 11-12mm.

Fred

DickLeonard
10-17-2006, 05:24 AM
MadMac I had posted before about beating Babe Cranfield in an exhibition in Hudson NY using a house cue. I had a Paradise and Rambow cue and was searching the housecues for tips to put on my two piece cues. A tip I had learned from an old room owner in Troy who had Willie Hoppe play a 3 cushion exhibition in his room and Willie asked him if he could hit his house cues and take the tip off the cue if he liked the hit. While testing the house cues the feel of the tip and cue was great, I said to myself I am not going to break up this marriage.

It did look funny walking down the street carrying a one piece cue. Every one in the pooroom wanted to know what was I doing with that thing. So I am off the thinking that your on the right track. The less distractions from the wood of the cue the better.####

cushioncrawler
10-17-2006, 04:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> MadMac I had posted before about beating Babe Cranfield in an exhibition in Hudson NY using a house cue. I had a Paradise and Rambow cue and was searching the housecues for tips to put on my two piece cues. A tip I had learned from an old room owner in Troy who had Willie Hoppe play a 3 cushion exhibition in his room and Willie asked him if he could hit his house cues and take the tip off the cue if he liked the hit. While testing the house cues the feel of the tip and cue was great, I said to myself I am not going to break up this marriage. It did look funny walking down the street carrying a one piece cue. Every one in the pooroom wanted to know what was I doing with that thing. So I am off the thinking that your on the right track. The less distractions from the wood of the cue the better .. <hr /></blockquote>
When i went to senior school in 1963, the students recreation room (an old church) had a 12' table, all of the cues had slip-on rubber tips. I didnt know that cues normally had leather tips untill someone took the trouble to stick some on later in the year. The next year, i had the job of tipping the cues, i used oldfashioned leather tips with hard backings, and i used wafers to stick the tips on -- none of the cues had ferrules -- i didnt know what a ferrule was untill i saw a guy with a cue with a brass ferrule playing at a club in town.

I think that ferrules are over-rated -- sure, u karnt do without a ferrule if u use non-backed tips like elks, the wood will burr, and the cue might even split. But, a metal-washer will in effect convert the elk to a hard-backed tip. Handy-Hint -- Dont use nickels or dimes or any other silverish coin for the "ferrule" -- they are too shiny, and dont stick well enuff. I use 5 minute araldite for everything -- this is super-strong if u heat it over a gas flame for 10minutes (but not too hot) once the initial set has set -- but it duznt like silver coins. madMac.

Boober61
02-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Regarding a new cue, I have to agree with most of these other guys, Meucci cues have been the one to have. I have been shooting for 15 years and had made the investment of a Meucci when I started. I am glad I did, this cue has stayed straight, hit's like new, and gets the action better than any other cue I have ever used. I now own 6 cues but alway grab that Meucci when it is game time, english, draw, ball speed and rotation is all perdictiable now that I've used her all these years.

Take my wife but leave my cue alone!

Check out ebay vintage Muecci cues you can get a great deal..good luck.

Boober61

sygfrid
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuetangclan:</font><hr>To help you out here's the way I play, maybe someone who plays similary can help me. My cue ball control is fairly precise, I like the cue to be about 20oz, I don't wack the bsll very often I prefer weighted shots. My budget will be around $300.
Thanks Guys. <font color="green"> </font color> <font color="black"></font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Shipping cost from the USA may be quite high, unless an online shop can give it to you for free. I know a guy from Taiwan who orders stuff from J&amp;J (USA) &amp; TAI CAN so he gets his stuff pretty cheap. He has Joss, Predator, and some other productions cues like Lucasi, Licos, Universal, which are made by TAI-CAN (a cue factory whose adviser is Bill Straud of Joss West Cue).

Paul has cues ranging from US$80-$500. You may want to experiment with different cues since you'll be adjusting from snooker.

You may check out his site at PAUL (http://stores.ebay.com.hk/pcsbilliardsupply_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2 QQpZ3QQtZkm)

Hope this helps /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Snapshot9
02-07-2007, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuetangclan:</font><hr> Hello,

I live in Australia, where the American style 9 and 8 ball games are just begining to get a wider appeal and audience. So I've been looking for a cue that I can use playing with American balls, (our balls for eight ball are almost half the size of yours.)

The main cue I use for our style of game is a solid ash with an ebony butt, because it is a snooker cue the tip is only 8mm. Other cue tips over here only really go up to ten. The ash shaft has a lot more give than maple. You can't buy american cues here unless they have a Jim Beam label on them, and while I like the drink I don't think the cue is gonna do me any good in a tournament!

So, my question is. What cue should I order from America?

To help you out here's the way I play, maybe someone who plays similary can help me. My cue ball control is fairly precise, I like the cue to be about 20oz, I don't wack the bsll very often I prefer weighted shots. My budget will be around $300.
Thanks Guys. <font color="green"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Here you go: Shurtz entry custom cue (http://www.shurtzcue.com/gallery/FrameSet.htm) for $250.

Made by Bob Owen, Gabe's dad. Good players. Email him from his website. He is currently making some of these.

Another option is the 1st cue listed after clicking on
'Cues' from the menu from Cash Cues for $250. Is a 60" cue
with a 12mm tip and 14" pro taper.

Cash Cues (http://www.Cashcues.com)