PDA

View Full Version : Is Sandbagging A Big Problem In League Play?

TomBrooklyn
02-23-2002, 02:08 PM
Any league players out there who have seen, suspected, or been asked by their own team to to sand bag? http://www.spill911.com/spill911/images/sandbags.jpg Any thoughts on this issue in league play?

02-24-2002, 09:00 PM
I have not joined a league as of yet. I may join one this next year however. A friend of mine was ranked a 7 (out of 8) and sandbagged a little to get his number down as playoffs came around. I don't know if I could do that. I think I would rather have the respect of being a 8 than playing down to a level just to get some money. But i guess that is a big difference between playing for the team or yourself. I know another friend of mine was ranked a 5 and was told by his teams 8 player to lose specific matches as it would help the team. I think i would have told him to stick it.

Todd

stickman
02-24-2002, 09:27 PM
It can be a problem. If you think someone is intentionally sandbagging, it should be noted at the bottom of the score sheet. You can also mark shots that were clearly not intended to be made as defensive shots. This will help discourage sandbagging.

cheesemouse
02-24-2002, 09:50 PM
I have left a team because they sandbagged. The bad part about it was someone on another team had to tell me I was a sandbagger on a sandbagging team. I asked my team captain and he said "of course" they sandbagged for those extra points of handicap. I quit the team on the spot. Word got around and I had no problem finding a spot on a real pool team.

cheese~~ plays to win; don't even stall for the cash.

02-24-2002, 10:56 PM
Some thing to consider....<~~~~Sometimes labeled a bagger.

Another league plagued scenerio is one of my own.Rarely do i play my full potential during league play.This is not by design .I just cant turn it on for A.P.A.league.Only seem to be able during regionals or a play-off situation and sometimes cant get up for it there either.

My tournament play outside of league is also better than league play.

For the cash i can play 95% of any of the other 5's around and spot them the 7 & 8 and consistantly come out on top.

I do not throw matches.In valley league(all out, play your best format)and where handicaps mean very little,I have won the MVP over a handful of 7's & 8's and a handful of Master players as well.

Most players know about my $ game being as much as 2 and sometimes 3 higher handicaps over my league play.They do
not understand,they think i am sandbagging, but in true
reality i am not.I simply will allow myself to play poorly
in league.I have actually considered quitting league play
due to this.

02-25-2002, 07:49 AM
It is believed that cheating (sandbaggin) happens in all leagues. I also believe this, is it hard to catch?, well that would be up to the other members of the league. As a league operator I have not dealt with it personally as of yet in my league (knock on wood), but all my players know that they can submit a handicap audit request to the corporate office anytime after a player has had 6 weeks of play under their belt in the computer system. TAP has a strict policy on cheating. 1st offense you are warned, the 2nd you are barred from TAP for EVER. Their is no 3rd strike. We do believe that everyone deserves a fair chance but if you abuse that chance then you can take your deceitful ways to another league who will put up with it.

Doctor_D
02-25-2002, 07:54 AM
Good morning:

Sandbaging; admitted openly by better players seeking to keep their handicaps (APA skill levels) down; as well as being witnessed first hand with intentional misses, losses and inaccurate scoring, is the main reason I discontinued playing in the local APA leagues.

Dr. D.

02-26-2002, 09:06 PM
I play in a nine-ball league. I haven't been asked to sandbag by anyone but have seen it. I just wanted to comment on the subject. I have only read a couple of the reply messages and found a lot of the league players who have seen this type of activity have chosen to quite the league. These leagues are around to be meeting places for friends, night out to do something you like in an organized manner and most of all play pool. I can't stand when someone is sandbagging but what can you do? You can tell the league operator for one and find other team captains to back you up on the accusations. If they don't do anything then I suggest practicing so that the next time you play this piece of S@#$ you can wipe the floor with him/her. It motivates me to play harder when I see someone sandbagging. People like this are loosers who need validation for winning and feeling better about themselves. They will ultimately get there's. Just be patient and don't them ruin your time to have fun or competitive edge to play the game we all love.

02-27-2002, 11:42 AM
I have seen it ,been on a team that would expext players to let up and run innings.Have heard one player (SL 5) ask to be told when he got to 30 , then dumped for 5 inings as the other player was having an off night.When the score started to close the sand bagger closed out with no trouble.The Big problem was the score keeper was the league manager and is now a league operator.One way I an suspect of sand bagging is happening is players(teams) who play multible nights hot one night qualify for city and other play offs, dump on the other night to control SL. Do you thing the league will go after that ,and give up the extra $25 a week? I would be interested in hearing about how to spot sand bagging other then miised shots .I agree with Rich If I want to go to Vegas I would rather buy a ticket then lose self repect.

Steve