PDA

View Full Version : I've Got a question...

07-15-2002, 08:38 PM
If someone has only the 8 ball left, and they call the pocket, but the 8ball hits a diff ball, but still goes in the pocket they call...do they win?

Thanks.

And does anyone know a site that has all the rules to pool?

07-15-2002, 11:01 PM
http://www.wpa-pool.com/rules/rules.htm

Its legal as long as you hit the 8 first with the white, caroms don't matter & neither does sinking one of you opponents balls while shooting it. Its loss of game to sink it in a non nominated pocket or if the white goes in the same shot the 8 drops (but just BIH if the black stays up).

Cueless Joey
07-15-2002, 11:07 PM
Yes, but bar table players will argue over this all night. As long as the shooter pockets the 8-ball at the called pocket, no matter how it went in is of no substance. Even if shooter misses and the ball goes around the table and goes in to the called pocket. Check Billiar Congress of America's rule book.
http://www.bca-pool.com/start.shtml

phil in sofla
07-16-2002, 08:59 AM
Regional rules, especially in bars, vary on this question.

The answers people are giving are correct as to league rules, BCA rules, etc.

However, by normal bar rules, it isn't ever enough to call the pocket (only), you have to call 'the shot,' meaning in all particulars, and definitely including any kisses off other balls that occur.

So, by common bar rules, that shot would win the game only if the kiss on the intermediate ball was called. If the kiss was not called, that shot would lose the game.

Another variation of bar rules is that 'the 8 ball must go clean,' meaning no caroms off of other balls on the way to the hole are allowed, even if you call them. Any such contact of the 8 on the way to the pocket would lose you the game, if the 8 ball goes.

Needless to say, before shooting an 8 ball in off another ball, you absolutely must know what the rules you're playing by are. If this game was in a bar, and some kind of house rules were in effect, one of the two situations I described above apply, meaning that most likely, this situation results in a loss of game.

Since I play 8-ball mainly in a league, or outside of league, with league players, the rules we use are the ones everybody has been mentioning, that it isn't the shot, but only the pocket, that you call, with any intervening details of what happens to the object ball not mattering, just as has been said.

9 Ball Girl
07-16-2002, 10:02 AM
If you're not playing by any specific rules, then it should be up to you and your opponent before the game starts. JMO

Cueless Joey
07-16-2002, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> If you're not playing by any specific rules, then it should be up to you and your opponent before the game starts. JMO <hr></blockquote>.........
Problem is, a lot of these losers make the rule before you shoot the 8 ball. One bar banger told me this stupid rule right when I was about to shoot the 8 ball. I asked him politely, "you've made two balls and you want to win?".
Another time, I was playing this dude. I scratched on the break and he told me I ALREADY lost but we'll keeep playing. I asked him whose rules was that by. He said the PRO rules. LOL. I asked him where has he seen PROS play. He had a deer on a headlight look after that. I told him I can name the world 8-ball champions from 1996 and up. We played on. Don't even try explaining to these people what a no-rail foul is. LOL

07-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Not where i play. The eight ball must go clean in order for a win.

john bastian in pa

9 Ball Girl
07-16-2002, 12:09 PM
Yeah. I had a couple like that too which is why I insist that they tell me how they want to play before we even start.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2002, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Notorious 8 Ball:</font><hr> If someone has only the 8 ball left, and they call the pocket, but the 8ball hits a diff ball, but still goes in the pocket they call...do they win?
<hr></blockquote>

Try this thread

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=19876&amp; page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=

Cueless Joey
07-16-2002, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Yeah. I had a couple like that too which is why I insist that they tell me how they want to play before we even start. <hr></blockquote>........
Do you ask them what rules do you want me to kick your jazz? LOL

9 Ball Girl
07-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Actually I do--in an indirect sort of funny way. If I can tell that the person I am about to play with has a sense of humor, then I'll ask them something like, "So when I get to the 8 ball in the next few minutes, how do you want me to call it in?" That actually sort of breaks the ice. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Wendy~~loves the smell of barley in the bars /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

07-17-2002, 11:46 PM
Is that what that smell is? I always wondered.....

griffith_d
07-18-2002, 06:39 AM
They win,....in call your pocket.

Griff

9 Ball Girl
07-18-2002, 08:56 AM
It's either that or the guy grinning at the far end has gas. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

nAz
07-18-2002, 10:46 AM
So wendy you love the smell of "Gas" in bars?

9 Ball Girl
07-18-2002, 01:52 PM
You again. Always pleasure, Naz baby. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif