PDA

View Full Version : McDermott Cues! ....... question

MrLucky
10-12-2006, 06:23 AM
Hello everyone, I am posing this question here since of the sites I read this one seems to have the most serious players and commenting. . <font color="red"> I have played with McD's for awhile now actually since 86 when I won one and I have owned several over the years now have 2 including my first D16.. </font color>I also own a Jacoby and have collected a few others, I tend to gravitate between the Jacoby (which is also a wood to wood joint) and the McDermott I am now in the market for a nice cue and finally have the money to get what whatever I want. I am interested in others thoughts on the higher level (ELITE series and above) versus for instance The Jacobys and Schons in that same price level I have also spoken with Samsara regarding one of theirs. Is there a real difference besides looks ? as stated I've played with a lot of Cues and have a Samsara now that I do not play with much (it is great looking but I still prefer my Jacoby and D16) ! Is this a fluke or the norm? I am interested in the opinions of those out there that have actually played with these cues ! I am sure many have their personal favorites but may not have experienced the actual discussed cues ! Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hondo
10-12-2006, 06:53 AM
I own a Jacoby which I like &amp; a McDermott Sierra
which I really like. Strictly speaking about PLAYABILITY,
there a a few cues I like better.
Dave Kikel
Jeff Olney
Tim Scruggs
A couple of others I would rate as good or slightly
better:
Dale Perry
Pat Diviney
Keith Josey

MrLucky
10-12-2006, 07:12 AM
I suppose from your reply we are like minded, I am really starting to lean toward the knight elite series Mcd @ $1,100 my cost for this cue, My thinking being that for the difference of $2-3000 I would like to have a noticable improvement and not just looks or collecters value in the cue ! I have some collector cues now that I do not play with, this purchase is for a shooter! If I am reading you wrong please correct me. Thanks for your reply. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hondo
10-12-2006, 09:03 AM
My problem is that I have 3 great shooters: Kikel,
Olney, Scruggs. I know I need to go with one but I
can't bear to sell them &amp; I can't bear to just let
them sit. Kikel has the edge but not by much.
I have some nice collectibles too, Mottey, Bender,
but the hit doesn't compare to the 3 I mentioned.
I paid $1200 for Kikel, $600 for Olney, and about
a thousand for Scruggs.

MrLucky
10-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks I looked at the Olney Cues on his web page they look good and he has some great write ups by users ! however theres a 4 year wait for one his cues ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif He is a thought for the future though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bsmutz
10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
My opinion on the matter, after looking extensively at McDermott's cues, is that when you buy one of their high end cues, you are paying a few hundred bucks for the asthetics of the cue and not the playability. I'm pretty sure it's the same with almost any manufacturer or maker. If you buy the plain jane, it should play the same as the one with the inlays, marquetry, etc. It just isn't as nice to look at. I definitely liked the looks of their cues. I wanted one with turquoise and ended up with a Dale Perry. I would have liked to have the leather wrap, but for the money I saved, I could have a leather wrap put on the DP.

SpiderMan
10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
If you like the McDermott, I'd go with it. I currently play with a Jacoby "Merry Widow", and prefer it above all others, but several years ago I had a very positive experience with McDermott.

I purchased a top-of-the-line McDermott (suggested retail over $2K) from an online dealer. When I received the cue, I did not like the taper of the three shafts. In my opinion they were improperly made, having about 5 thousandths of "reverse taper", ie they were 0.005" smaller at the bridge point than at the ferrule. This can happen when an overzealous person does the finish sanding.

Anyway, the factory stood behind the product 100%. I returned the cue with a list of micrometer measurements I had taken. They verified the measurements, acknowledged the error, and returned the cue with three new shafts.

SpiderMan

MrLucky
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes <font color="green"> Spider </font color> McDermott certainly stands behind their products and Like the Honda products I drive I suppose they can offer a great warranty because they have very few problems with their product! I have a D16 my first of their cues and it was really abused! I used to leave it in my car in the heat of Georgia summer and in the cold of winter ! Broke with it and through it all it just kept on hitting great! I just had Ted Harris recently restore the entire cue and I am still playing with it and its original shaft.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrLucky
10-12-2006, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> My opinion on the matter, after looking extensively at McDermott's cues, is that when you buy one of their high end cues, you are paying a few hundred bucks for the asthetics of the cue and not the playability. I'm pretty sure it's the same with almost any manufacturer or maker. If you buy the plain jane, it should play the same as the one with the inlays, marquetry, etc. It just isn't as nice to look at. I definitely liked the looks of their cues. I wanted one with turquoise and ended up with a Dale Perry. I would have liked to have the leather wrap, but for the money I saved, I could have a leather wrap put on the DP. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <font color="green">Yes you right in that is the same with all of the Cue Makers! I already have some pretty Cues! I now want a pretty one that shoots well and will hold up well!
the Knight is $1100 and for that amount I would consider others like the Olneys I saw or for that matter a Dale Perry or The Scruggs ! but the ones I like that are available now after inquiring are 2-3 times the money of the McDermott ! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MrLucky
10-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Well Thanks for the advice and info especially hondo! I have two cues on order I just clicked the paypal button on the McDermott Knight with a 12.75 mm shaft in a 18.5 oz with Black leather wrap and engraving! web page (http://www.shopmcdermottcue.com/McDermott/M29A.html)
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am ordering today a Custom Samsara based on this model picture (http://www.samsaracues.com/image.popup.php?section=1&amp;image=1&amp;ID=256)
I chose another Samsara since I do enjoy the ones I have now and their process is just a couple of months versus Onleys (my other personal choice from the options available) 4 year wait!
<font color="green"> Hopefully I am done with Cue purchases for awhile now ! (well at least till the bug bites again! LOL! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
10-13-2006, 06:48 AM
MrLucky. I usually avoid the cue discussions because my Palmer is nearing 40 years old and my Paradise is much older than that. I had an old Willie Hoppe one-piece cue made into a two-piece cue by Paul Dayton that Paul added screw in butt extenders too.

On my Palmer I had Pete make me tapered shafts of 131/2 mil.
I used them for about a year, then when I felt they were seasoned enuff I had Petey give them a straight taper. I had felt that the straight taper on new shafts caused the whippyness of the cue. Sometimes turning a PoolCue into a Fishing Rod.

At Valley Forge this year was a cuemaker who didn't have a booth because he had a 2 year waiting list. Does he make the Best Cue I don't know maybe Voodoo Dady would know.

For my money I would search for the best tip, a great tip on a broom stick plays better than an expensive cue and a mediocre tip.####

hondo
10-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Nice looking cues! Enjoy.

Rich R.
10-13-2006, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>At Valley Forge this year was a cuemaker who didn't have a booth because he had a 2 year waiting list. Does he make the Best Cue I don't know maybe Voodoo Dady would know.<hr /></blockquote>Dick, if the length of a cue maker's waiting list was in direct relation to the quality of his cues, a 2 year list would be mediocre. I have heard of cue makers with lists as long as 6 and 8 years.

Life is uncertain. I can't wait that long. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

hondo
10-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Right. Two years isn't that impressive if he only
makes 3 sticks a year. LOL!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr>At Valley Forge this year was a cuemaker who didn't have a booth because he had a 2 year waiting list. Does he make the Best Cue I don't know maybe Voodoo Dady would know.<hr /></blockquote>Dick, if the length of a cue maker's waiting list was in direct relation to the quality of his cues, a 2 year list would be mediocre. I have heard of cue makers with lists as long as 6 and 8 years.

Life is uncertain. I can't wait that long. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

MrLucky
10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I contacted all three of the recommended cue makers and 1 of them did not respond ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif and the other two were quoting major waits for any customs !
I usually put moori tips on all of my cues I have had some done by Ted Harris and now Steve Lomax does most of my shaft work and tips! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Snapshot9
10-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Personally, I would not spend that kind of money for a production cue. For $1,100-1,200, you can get a very good playing and looking cue from Shurtz cues (Bob Owen, Gabe's dad is cuemaker and partner). The closest comparable hit and feel of their cues to another cuemaker would be a Southwest cue, IMO. (I have directly compared my $1,100
SHURTZ with a $2,800 Southwest cue, FYI, besides other
cuemaker's cues as well).
4-6 Months is the usual wait for a custom with Bob. He also makes his versions of the 314-1 and 314-2 shafts, if that is what you like.
His email is Bob@Shurtzcue.com and the website is Shurtz cues (http://www.ShurtzCue.com)

hondo
10-15-2006, 07:56 AM
I have a $300 Shurtz and it plays like my $1200
Scruggs which I really like.

DickLeonard
10-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Rich R when Balabushka was in total demand, I witnessed a poolplayer call George and get a cue in less than a month. While regular folks were waiting years, so waiting lists are all in someones head. If your a player those waiting lists disappear.

So if you really want a cue get a player to order it for you.####

MrLucky
10-15-2006, 05:59 PM
where you refering to the McDermott or the Samsara ? The Samsara is a custom ! I bought the McDermott because I have several of their cues and they hit as well as some 2-$3,000 Cues I have shot with! never the less I posted this to find any others that were reccomended ! and now its too late ! I have never heard of Shurtz before this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

hondo
10-16-2006, 04:59 AM
I've heard good things about Samsara.
Man, we're just jawing about cues in this thread.
50 people will give you 50 different opinions about
cues. There are some really HOT cuemakers out there
now getting the BIG BUCKS: Joel Hercek,Dennis Searing,
Barry Szamboti,and some guys that traditionally command
huge prices: Ernie Guitterez ( Ginacue), Bill schick,
David Kersenbrock.
Beyond that there are some really excellent cuemakers
and, as I said, I've heard nice things about Samsara.
I ran into Bob Owen at DCC. Had never heard of Shurtz
either, although Bluebook says they've been around
for a while.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> where you refering to the McDermott or the Samsara ? The Samsara is a custom ! I bought the McDermott because I have several of their cues and they hit as well as some 2-$3,000 Cues I have shot with! never the less I posted this to find any others that were reccomended ! and now its too late ! I have never heard of Shurtz before this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

MrLucky
10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
<font color="red"> Well 1 down ansd one more to come! I received my McDermott today and is it pretty I am also waiting for an I-3 shaft for it ! Well got to go ! I've a hot date with a Brunswick! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

jayhawk
10-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I hear McDermott has a new shaft in production,a hollow all carbon with internal ferruel . Anybody have any info?

MrLucky
10-28-2006, 04:53 PM
First of all what is a internal ferrule??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif The only new thing I am aware of from McDermott is the I Shaft which is around now for at least a year! it is carbon cored heres a LINK web page (http://www.mcdermottcue.com/IShaft3.asp)

MrLucky
10-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I-SHAFT OVERVIEW
3 Shafts Tuned to Your Game for the Ultimate in Power &amp; Accuracy.

i-SHAFT TUNING SYSTEM:
One cue, three shafts, three sets of shot conditions.
McDermott Intimidator i-Series Shaft System gives players the freedom to change power and spin-rate to maximize the speed and accuracy of shots in a way never before possible.

The patented Intimidator i-Series Shaft System has identified the variable characteristics required in your game (Power, Control, Feel), and utilizing our proprietary Intimidator Carbon Energy® (ICE) technology, designed the industry’s most radial consistent shaft for varying skill levels, shot types, and table speeds.

What is radial consistency and why is it important?
Why do we have it and no one else does? All shafts deflect with the grain of the wood. To help counter this, other companies cut pie shapes, which does increase radial consistency. McDermott totally eliminated all natural inherent characteristics of wood with our carbon fiber shaft core. We are so confident of our radial consistency that we offer a Lifetime Warranty against warpage, a claim no other manufacturer is willing to make.

The fact is, one shaft does NOT fit all.
The i-Shaft is designed to fit you and your game and dispels the myth that one size fits all. We give you the choice to find one, or all three, that best suits needs. Your choice. Every other shaft on the market demands that you fit your game to the shaft. There are many factors that determine shot conditions, and at McDermott we have spent years of research and development perfecting the solution to this question:

How do I maintain complete control under any circumstance or situation?
The answer: Pre-programmed deflection reduction through a System of shafts.
The result: The i-Shaft Tuning System. The Best Shaft Technology Ever Launched in the Billiard Industry.

Break away from the pack and find out exactly how the Intimidator is becoming the rule.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jayhawk
10-29-2006, 06:38 AM
I guess the shaft has not hit the market yet. The internal ferruel goes inside the shaft.The i-series has a carbon core with wood around the carbon, this shaft has no wood it is 100% carbon.