PDA

View Full Version : The Other Foot

Gayle in MD
10-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Why did they second-guess our commitment to freedom from genocide and demand that we cut and run?

" President Clinton is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nationís armed forces about how long they will be
away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."

-Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"No goal, no objective, not until we have those things and a compelling case is made, then I say, back out of it, because innocent people are going to die for nothing. Thatís why Iím against it."

-Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/5/99

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."

-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."

-Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of presidential candidate George W. Bush

Why did they demoralize our brave men and women in uniform?

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginningÖI didnít think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."

-Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"You think Vietnam was bad? Vietnam is nothing next to Kosovo."

-Tony Snow, Fox News 3/24/99

"Well, I just think itís a bad idea. Whatís going to happen is theyíre going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years"

-Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Iím on the Senate Intelligence Committee, so you can trust me and believe me when I say weíre running out of cruise missles. I canít tell you exactly how many we have left, for security reasons, but weíre almost out of cruise missles."

-Senator Inhofe (R-OK )

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarifiedrules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our overextended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"

"I donít know that Milosevic will ever raise a white flag"

-Senator Don Nickles (R-OK)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"

-Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

Why didnít they support our president in a time of war?

"Victory means exit strategy, and itís important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."

-Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

"This is President Clintonís war, and when he falls flat on his face, thatís his problem."

-Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN)

"The two powers that have ICBMs that can reach the United States are Russia and China. Here we go in. Weíre taking on not just Milosevic. We canít just say, Ďthat little guy, we can whip him.í We have these two other powers that have missiles that can reach us, and we have zero defense thanks to this president."

-Senator James Inhofe (R-OK)

"You can support the troops but not the president"

"My job as majority leader is be supportive of our troops, try to have input as decisions are made and to look at those decisions after theyíre made Ö not to march in lock step with everything the president decides to do."

"For us to call this a victory and to commend the President of the United States as the Commander in Chief showing great leadership in Operation Allied Force is a farce"

Why did they blame America first?

Bombing a sovereign nation for ill-defined reasons with vague objectives undermines the American stature in the world. The international respect and trust for America has diminished every time we casually let the bombs fly."

"Once the bombing commenced, I think then Milosevic unleashed his forces, and then thatís when the slaughtering and the massive ethnic cleansing really started"

"
Clintonís bombing campaign has caused all of these problems to explode"

"America has no vital interest in whose flag flies over Kosovoís capital, and no right to attack and kill Serb soldiers fighting on their own soil to preserve the territorial integrity of their own country"

-Pat Buchanan (R)

"These international war criminals were led by Gen. Wesley Clark Öwho clicked his shiny heels for the commander-in-grief, Bill Clinton."

-Michael Savage

"This has been an unmitigated disaster Ö Ask the Chinese embassy. Ask all the people in Belgrade that weíve killed. Ask the refugees that weíve killed. Ask the people in nursing homes. Ask the people in hospitals."

-Representative Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"It is a remarkable spectacle to see the Clinton Administration and NATO taking over from the Soviet Union the role of sponsoring "wars of national liberation."

-Representative Helen Chenoweth (R-ID)

"America has no vital interest in whose flag flies over Kosovoís capital, and no right to attack and kill Serb soldiers fighting on their own soil to preserve the territorial integrity of their own country"

-Pat Buchanan (R )

"By the order to launch air strikes against Serbia, NATO and President Clinton have entered uncharted territory in mankindís history. Not even Hitlerís grab of the Sudetenland in the 1930s, which eventually led to WW II, ranks as a comparable travesty. For, there are no American interests whatsoever that the NATO bombing will either help, or protect; only needless risks to which it exposes the American soldiers and assets, not to mention the victims on the ground in Serbia."

-Bob Djurdjevic, founder of Truth in Media

pooltchr
10-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Gayle, Gayle, Gayle...when will you understand that it's politics. When a Dem does something, the Reps are all against it. When a Rep does something, the Dems are all against it. Right or wrong doesn't mean anything, it's all about which jersey your team wears. It is this atmosphere that has created so many problems with our government. Nobody is concerned with what is right or best for the country...it's all about winning elections, winning majorities, and maintaining power. The pols just repeat the party line, or what they think the voting public wants to hear.
Steve

Stretch
10-12-2006, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Gayle, Gayle, Gayle...when will you understand that it's politics. When a Dem does something, the Reps are all against it. When a Rep does something, the Dems are all against it. Right or wrong doesn't mean anything, it's all about which jersey your team wears. It is this atmosphere that has created so many problems with our government. Nobody is concerned with what is right or best for the country...it's all about winning elections, winning majorities, and maintaining power. The pols just repeat the party line, or what they think the voting public wants to hear.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve, you should have seen the Opra show today. Wut i got out of it is that there's a horrendous amount of propaganda that passes for news in the states. It was pointed out by many Americans that live abroad and see first hand other Country's "legitimate journalist" report on current events then compare it to what comes out of the US. If it wasn't such a serious problem it would be laughable. Most Americans get thier news from the Television, and unfortunately wut passes for "news" is just partisan programing and out right fabrication of the facts. It's all about RATINGS rather than issues. I just hope the population down there realises wut a crock almost anything coming out of your news sources really is.

Take for instance those memorable images of the Iraqis hauling down the statue of Sadam and jumping all over it. Totally staged. They spun it as a story of the elated citizens rejoicing at being liberated. Actually the Americans supplied the machinery and materials to get the job done, and a small crowd had gathered to see what was going on. they got with the moment they were presented with you know? Is this News? St.

cushioncrawler
10-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Reminds me -- my mate told me re his son spending a year at high school in the USA with Rotary. One day in class, he was asked what he missed most about Ozz -- he said that he missed the type of diverse news-content found in Ozz newspapers and TV -- (i would say that here he meant reports lifted from news from lots of other countrys) -- the class gasped and cryd hym down utterly. madMac.

Gayle in MD
10-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Hi Stretch...
Very good reason why it's so important that Americans remain skeptical, particularly when our troop's, and other's, lives are on the line. To rely completely on radio or on TV, without further study, falls short of offering a good grasp of what is happening, and why, except for C-Span, and live interviews.

I am constantly amazed to hear from friends of mine who live abroad, the huge gap between what we hear, and what the rest of the world is saying. The unprecedented, vast shift in how our country is viewed abroad, since Bush has been in office, is certaily unique to our times. Sure, we've been harshly judged before, but nothing like this.

BTW, how's it going friend? Still hoping you'll make it here eventually! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
10-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Gee Steve, thanks for explaining that to me, lol, I never would have guessed! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
10-13-2006, 05:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Gee Steve, thanks for explaining that to me, lol, I never would have guessed! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle, Glad I could help! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

Qtec
10-13-2006, 06:24 AM
You paint a pretty negative picture of American politics and American politicians Steve but I think you are wrong.
What you describe is the GOP of the last 10 years. A party who was going to clean up capitol Hill and what happens? Their top man DeLay has to stand down because he was 'ethically challenged', we have the Foley scandal, Abramoff, Cunnigham, and a MILLION other etc's!. LOL
The Dems voted WITH GW on Iraq. They voted FOR the Patriot Act. They have bent over backwards[ nothing to do with Foley /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif] to support this Pres in his 'WOT'.

What Gayle's post shows is the hypocricy of the Reps, not the Dems.

Q...BTW, in case you missed it, if you are arrested today, you have no right to trial anymore. Thats gone. Old hat.

DickLeonard
10-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Cushioncrawler is that why Rupert Murdock came America to control the News.####

pooltchr
10-13-2006, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> You paint a pretty negative picture of American politics and American politicians Steve but I think you are wrong. <font color="red"> You are entitled to your opinion. I'm sure you have a better understanding of American politics than I do...after all...I only live here. </font color>
What you describe is the GOP of the last 10 years. <font color="red"> What I describe has been building within both parties over the past 20 or 30 years. It goes back to the 1970's, and has been getting worse and worse. Without some major changes, I expect it to continue. </font color> A party who was going to clean up capitol Hill and what happens? Their top man DeLay has to stand down because he was 'ethically challenged', we have the Foley scandal, Abramoff, Cunnigham, and a MILLION other etc's!. LOL <font color="red"> And the Dems have done nothing wrong during the past years. It sure is good to know that it's all just one party. I will sleep better tonight. </font color>
The Dems voted WITH GW on Iraq. They voted FOR the Patriot Act. They have bent over backwards[ nothing to do with Foley /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif] to support this Pres in his 'WOT'. <font color="red"> The Dems have done everything they can to undermine the present administration. The Reps did everything they could to undermine the previous administration. Party politics has been eroding common sense in Washington for quite some time. </font color>

What Gayle's post shows is the hypocricy of the Reps, not the Dems. <font color="red"> And we can find just as many that do the same to the Dems. It's all in which sources you decide to research. </font color>

Q...BTW, in case you missed it, if you are arrested today, you have no right to trial anymore. Thats gone. Old hat.
<font color="red"> If I am a terrorist, I am going to be worried. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
10-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, I think Steve's right but I think the Republicans
have been worse, especially since the emergence of
Karl Rove.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> You paint a pretty negative picture of American politics and American politicians Steve but I think you are wrong.
What you describe is the GOP of the last 10 years. A party who was going to clean up capitol Hill and what happens? Their top man DeLay has to stand down because he was 'ethically challenged', we have the Foley scandal, Abramoff, Cunnigham, and a MILLION other etc's!. LOL
The Dems voted WITH GW on Iraq. They voted FOR the Patriot Act. They have bent over backwards[ nothing to do with Foley /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif] to support this Pres in his 'WOT'.

What Gayle's post shows is the hypocricy of the Reps, not the Dems.

Q...BTW, in case you missed it, if you are arrested today, you have no right to trial anymore. Thats gone. Old hat. <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
10-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Even if you aren't a terrorist, you better be worried.
Do you honestly think any erosion of our rights
doesn't affect us all?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> You paint a pretty negative picture of American politics and American politicians Steve but I think you are wrong. <font color="red"> You are entitled to your opinion. I'm sure you have a better understanding of American politics than I do...after all...I only live here. </font color>
What you describe is the GOP of the last 10 years. <font color="red"> What I describe has been building within both parties over the past 20 or 30 years. It goes back to the 1970's, and has been getting worse and worse. Without some major changes, I expect it to continue. </font color> A party who was going to clean up capitol Hill and what happens? Their top man DeLay has to stand down because he was 'ethically challenged', we have the Foley scandal, Abramoff, Cunnigham, and a MILLION other etc's!. LOL <font color="red"> And the Dems have done nothing wrong during the past years. It sure is good to know that it's all just one party. I will sleep better tonight. </font color>
The Dems voted WITH GW on Iraq. They voted FOR the Patriot Act. They have bent over backwards[ nothing to do with Foley /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif] to support this Pres in his 'WOT'. <font color="red"> The Dems have done everything they can to undermine the present administration. The Reps did everything they could to undermine the previous administration. Party politics has been eroding common sense in Washington for quite some time. </font color>

What Gayle's post shows is the hypocricy of the Reps, not the Dems. <font color="red"> And we can find just as many that do the same to the Dems. It's all in which sources you decide to research. </font color>

<font color="red"> If I am a terrorist, I am going to be worried. </font color> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
10-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Kids in America generally fall under 1 of 3 categories:
1. Huh? What are you talking about? Oh, never mind.
Who cares?
2. They believe everything they're told, hook, line &amp;
sinker.
3. America sucks! Everything sucks.Except for drugs,
booze &amp; sex.
There are some sharp kids out there but they're rare.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> Reminds me -- my mate told me re his son spending a year at high school in the USA with Rotary. One day in class, he was asked what he missed most about Ozz -- he said that he missed the type of diverse news-content found in Ozz newspapers and TV -- (i would say that here he meant reports lifted from news from lots of other countrys) -- the class gasped and cryd hym down utterly. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Excellent post, Gayle. Cuts right through the BS.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Why did they second-guess our commitment to freedom from genocide and demand that we cut and run?

" President Clinton is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation&amp;#8217;s armed forces about how long they will be
away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."

-Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"No goal, no objective, not until we have those things and a compelling case is made, then I say, back out of it, because innocent people are going to die for nothing. That&amp;#8217;s why I&amp;#8217;m against it."

-Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/5/99

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."

-Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of presidential candidate George W. Bush

Why did they demoralize our brave men and women in uniform?

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning&amp;#8230;I didn&amp;#8217;t think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."

"You think Vietnam was bad? Vietnam is nothing next to Kosovo."

-Tony Snow, Fox News 3/24/99

"Well, I just think it&amp;#8217;s a bad idea. What&amp;#8217;s going to happen is they&amp;#8217;re going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years"

-Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"I&amp;#8217;m on the Senate Intelligence Committee, so you can trust me and believe me when I say we&amp;#8217;re running out of cruise missles. I can&amp;#8217;t tell you exactly how many we have left, for security reasons, but we&amp;#8217;re almost out of cruise missles."

-Senator Inhofe (R-OK )

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarifiedrules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our overextended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"

"I don&amp;#8217;t know that Milosevic will ever raise a white flag"

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"

-Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

Why didn&amp;#8217;t they support our president in a time of war?

"Victory means exit strategy, and it&amp;#8217;s important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."

-Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

"This is President Clinton&amp;#8217;s war, and when he falls flat on his face, that&amp;#8217;s his problem."

-Senator Richard Lugar (R-IN)

"The two powers that have ICBMs that can reach the United States are Russia and China. Here we go in. We&amp;#8217;re taking on not just Milosevic. We can&amp;#8217;t just say, &amp;#8216;that little guy, we can whip him.&amp;#8217; We have these two other powers that have missiles that can reach us, and we have zero defense thanks to this president."

-Senator James Inhofe (R-OK)

"You can support the troops but not the president"

"My job as majority leader is be supportive of our troops, try to have input as decisions are made and to look at those decisions after they&amp;#8217;re made &amp;#8230; not to march in lock step with everything the president decides to do."

"For us to call this a victory and to commend the President of the United States as the Commander in Chief showing great leadership in Operation Allied Force is a farce"

Why did they blame America first?

Bombing a sovereign nation for ill-defined reasons with vague objectives undermines the American stature in the world. The international respect and trust for America has diminished every time we casually let the bombs fly."

"Once the bombing commenced, I think then Milosevic unleashed his forces, and then that&amp;#8217;s when the slaughtering and the massive ethnic cleansing really started"

"
Clinton&amp;#8217;s bombing campaign has caused all of these problems to explode"

"America has no vital interest in whose flag flies over Kosovo&amp;#8217;s capital, and no right to attack and kill Serb soldiers fighting on their own soil to preserve the territorial integrity of their own country"

-Pat Buchanan (R)

"These international war criminals were led by Gen. Wesley Clark &amp;#8230;who clicked his shiny heels for the commander-in-grief, Bill Clinton."

-Michael Savage

"This has been an unmitigated disaster &amp;#8230; Ask the Chinese embassy. Ask all the people in Belgrade that we&amp;#8217;ve killed. Ask the refugees that we&amp;#8217;ve killed. Ask the people in nursing homes. Ask the people in hospitals."

-Representative Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"It is a remarkable spectacle to see the Clinton Administration and NATO taking over from the Soviet Union the role of sponsoring "wars of national liberation."

-Representative Helen Chenoweth (R-ID)

"America has no vital interest in whose flag flies over Kosovo&amp;#8217;s capital, and no right to attack and kill Serb soldiers fighting on their own soil to preserve the territorial integrity of their own country"

-Pat Buchanan (R )

"By the order to launch air strikes against Serbia, NATO and President Clinton have entered uncharted territory in mankind&amp;#8217;s history. Not even Hitler&amp;#8217;s grab of the Sudetenland in the 1930s, which eventually led to WW II, ranks as a comparable travesty. For, there are no American interests whatsoever that the NATO bombing will either help, or protect; only needless risks to which it exposes the American soldiers and assets, not to mention the victims on the ground in Serbia."

-Bob Djurdjevic, founder of Truth in Media

<hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
10-13-2006, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And the Dems have done nothing wrong during the past years. It sure is good to know that it's all just one party. I will sleep better tonight.
<hr /></blockquote>

How do you reckon that? I don't think it has sunk in yet but I,m pretty sure you can disapear in the middle of the night, never to be seen again. Waterboarding is not a sport BTW.

A few years ago, a lawyer [a US citizen] was arrested because his fingerprint was alledged to have been found on one of the Madrid bombs. Turns out he was totally innocent and was released after 18 months or so.!
If had been arrested tommorrow...............Under today's Law, he HAS NO RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nada, Zilch, Nopus, Niets, Nothing..........he becomes a non-person! Once the Govt SAYS you are a terrorist you ARE one, until they say you're not. They decide, not the Law.

Is that what you want?
Is this good for Democracy?
Isn't this just appeasing the terrorists?
Why should we comprimise OUR values and give up our rights because of them?

Q...........geez!

hondo
10-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Tap! Tap! Give em hell, Q.It just amazes me how
a bushite will give up personal rights just to
defend their partisanship. Dumdedumdum.

Gayle in MD
10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Hmmm, must be because of the subliminal secret code words and phrases, hidden in their speeches, to dupe the religious right, but unrecognizable to all others? Yeah, that's the ticket! Wouldn't surprise me if the Administration responds to this by saying it was just ... ah, let's see now, ... Automatic Information Stress Filtering Protection!

Or, maybe, National Security Wartime News Classifacations!

Or, how bout, Faith Based Subliminal Services!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

cushioncrawler
10-13-2006, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Cushioncrawler is that why Rupert Murdock came America to control the News.#### <hr /></blockquote>
I think that Rupert didnt like Ozz laws and Ozz tax. The main thing that we have in Ozz is 2 government free-to-air TV channels -- ABC and SBS -- i only watch the private channels (networks) for the Poker etc. But nowadayz i guess that allmost everyone has cable (i havnt yet), and hence gets BBC-News etc. Remember my posting about the time i met Rupert's mum -- she opens her place to the public a few times a year, and the proceeds go to charity -- she's a good old gal (and a greenie) -- in my traffic engineering days i allmost put a No-Right-Turn sign at her driveway entry. madMac.

cushioncrawler
10-13-2006, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> Kids in America generally fall under 1 of 3 categories:
1. Huh? What are you talking about? Oh, never mind.
Who cares?
2. They believe everything they're told, hook, line &amp;
sinker.
3. America sucks! Everything sucks.Except for drugs,
booze &amp; sex.
There are some sharp kids out there but they're rare... <hr /></blockquote>
I guess that USA and Ozz kids are all smarter than in my day (the 50's and 60's) -- its the oldies that depress me. madMac.

Stretch
10-13-2006, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Hi Stretch...
Very good reason why it's so important that Americans remain skeptical, particularly when our troop's, and other's, lives are on the line. To rely completely on radio or on TV, without further study, falls short of offering a good grasp of what is happening, and why, except for C-Span, and live interviews.

I am constantly amazed to hear from friends of mine who live abroad, the huge gap between what we hear, and what the rest of the world is saying. The unprecedented, vast shift in how our country is viewed abroad, since Bush has been in office, is certaily unique to our times. Sure, we've been harshly judged before, but nothing like this.

BTW, how's it going friend? Still hoping you'll make it here eventually! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle oh yes, i'm sure there will be a road trip sometime this year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Judy and i would luv to meet you. St.

eg8r
10-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Hmmm, you mention the other side and you forgot to come full circle. The quotes mention Clinton and Milosevic. Here was an attack on a country that never attacked the US and the US did not have UN approval, however you and the rest of the left were panting with baited breath waiting for the first sounds of the bunker busters.

eg8r

eg8r
10-16-2006, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You paint a pretty negative picture of American politics and American politicians Steve but I think you are wrong. <hr /></blockquote> Which further proves the point that you don't know what you are talking about.

eg8r