PDA

View Full Version : One handed player

07-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Can anyone point me to vendors that have assists for someone who has lost the use of the bridge hand? They cannot grip. Is there a suggested method to shoot? Now they use their wrist and watch band edge for a bridge. Is this legal?
Thanks,
Judy

EZMark
07-15-2002, 09:35 PM
Years ago there was a one handed plyer his game was a bridge, the brush you clean the tables with. Knubby Morgan was his name, and he could flat play the game. I ran into him the first time in Chicago, then again in D.C. hope the info helps.EZMark

Nostroke
07-15-2002, 09:52 PM
A fella at Jack's Rack's in Beach Haven NJ has no use of any hand but somehow he wears a plastic ring with a hook for a bridge and then somehow strokes with cue propped in the crook of his arm. He cant draw but he is still good enough to beat me 50% of the time. A nice guy too- drop by and play him if you get the chance. He works there.

I assume the contraption is just a form of a bridge and should be legal, but i dont know for sure.

cheesemouse
07-15-2002, 10:01 PM
I had a friend who also used the table brush, he also had a sock with dried beans in it for certain shots. He could play some too...he could pull out matchbook and light a match one handed as fast as a two handed guy.

SpiderMan
07-16-2002, 08:00 AM
Judy,

Good news is that there are several devices around that are used as bridging aids for one-handed players. The bad news is that they are probably not commercially available due to the market for such a device being so small. I have watched several one-armed players using several different devices, all were slightly different and all were probably custom-made.

The best thing for your friend to do would be to watch some of these players (every town seems to have one or two) and see what they're using, then have someone make him one. By far the most common device I have seen consists of a weighted base with a "loop" on top. The loop is often made of a piece of rope, just the right size for the shaft to pass through. Using a loop instead of a vee allows the user to lift and move the device easily with his shaft.

There was a one-pocket player back in Memphis named Doyle who used this style gadget, and despite having only one arm he played a pretty good game. Of course, Ronnie Allen can play one-handed one-pocket with no device and still beat 'most anyone.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2002, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> By far the most common device I have seen consists of a weighted base with a "loop" on top. The loop is often made of a piece of rope, just the right size for the shaft to pass through. Using a loop instead of a vee allows the user to lift and move the device easily with his shaft. <hr></blockquote>

A local guy with one arm built a block of wood with a hinge and a hard plastic loop. Or he uses the table brush. I can furnish further detail if needed.

07-16-2002, 08:58 AM
There was an old time pool hustler that would place the cueball in his mouth and drop the cueball on the object ball. He trapped many people with that game. He would run out the game by leaning over the table and play the last ball in the corner pocket and then proceed to run the game.####