PDA

View Full Version : Habeas Corpus

Qtec
10-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Article 1, section 9.

[ QUOTE ]
"The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it." <hr /></blockquote>

Has the US been invaded? Is there a rebellion?

What gives this Govt or Congress the right to suspend/abollish the an integral part of the Constitution? ie, right to trial.

Just asking.

Q

Drop1
10-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Uh nothing, Bush's plans are too secret,as he tries to catch a nap. This could just be a rumor,but I heard the government plans to do away with passports,and go for the implanted chip. You have to realize ninty nine percent of the world wants to bomb Bush. If you don't believe me,ask him.

Chopstick
10-14-2006, 03:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I heard the government plans to do away with passports,and go for the implanted chip. <hr /></blockquote>

Cool. I want the deluxe model with built in GPS, broadband internet access, and XM satelite radio. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No kidding. They really are working on building these. I'm gonna be first in line when they do.

Deeman3
10-14-2006, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Article 1, section 9.

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
"The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it." <hr /></blockquote>

Has the US been invaded? Is there a rebellion? <font color="blue"> Q, We call running loaded passenger planes into our buildings somewhat of an invasion. We are just funny that way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif</font color>

What gives this Govt or Congress the right to suspend/abollish the an integral part of the Constitution? ie, right to trial. <font color="blue"> In some cases. If this is a war, and some beleive it is, some rights are suspended as it is not possible nor practical to try each enemy combatant and, in fact, not normal in the waging of war. We might have elected to stop the second world war each time a shot was fired in Holland and try to suspected Nazi soldier. However, the locals did not demand this as allied troops swept across the country. True, I was not actually there but don't recall accounts of large groups in the Netherlands demanding that we recognise the rights of the people who had occupied them during much of the war./ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Just asking. <font color="blue"> Just telling. </font color>

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
10-14-2006, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Q, We call running loaded passenger planes into our buildings somewhat of an invasion. We are just funny that way.
<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry, 19 dead Arabs doesn't constitute an invasion. Ask anybody.

[ QUOTE ]
Q, <font color="blue"> What gives this Govt or Congress the right to suspend/abollish the an integral part of the Constitution? ie, right to trial.</font color>
" In some cases. If this is a war, and some beleive it is, some rights are suspended as it is not possible nor practical to try each enemy combatant and, in fact, not normal in the waging of war. <hr /></blockquote>

The Con is quite specific to me. It quite clearly says, Rebellion or Invasion.

The basic right in a Democracy - call me old fashioned if you want to- is the right to face your accuser in a court of Law. To me thats a neccessity for a free country.
DeeMan, weren't you in Germany for a few years? You are an engineer right? Ever been to Pakistan, Afgahnistan, anywhere close?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Lets hope you never frequented a kebab shop where Atta was a regular customer!...................... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lets hope the trigger happy[ desperate to make a bust] FBI/CIA aren't monitoring this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FatsRedux
10-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Article I, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution: “The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion, the public safety may require it.”

Contrast the above with the Military Commissions Act of 2006, which essentially gives the executive branch free reign to declare anyone an “enemy combatant.”

Just what constitutes being an enemy combatant is so deliberately unclear that political dissenters, journalists, or anyone who speaks out against the administration could be rounded up and placed in our American version of the old Soviet gulags. Furthermore, the executive branch is free from oversight. It alone decides what type of interrogation an individual or individuals can be subjected to. People can be held indefinitely without benefit of due process and secret ‘evidence’ can be used against them.

This thing is not just about terrorists; and that’s why we should all be concerned.

Ordinary people like us can simply be stripped of their rights and made to disappear into an indefinite incommunicado detention. As it stands right now, that can happen to anyone. That’s frightening and it’s just wrong.

Gayle in MD
10-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Exactly. And, the entire War On Terror, mentality, and phrasiology, is false, anyway. I find it disgusting, the way Bu$h uses fear, to promote his illegal, immoral war. His premise, is false, in the first place. Democracy is no insurance against war, terrorist attacks, or the emergence of terrorist organizations, or even single acts of terrorism. Such occurances are related to individuals believing that they are being exploited, in some way, and that they are powerless to respond, in any other significant way, or that their laws do not protect them.

Terrorism, grows from people who believe that there is no real justice in their country, look at Timothy McVey, yes, terrorists, are usually not well adjusted people, but there is usually the emotional feeling of injustice which preceeds their sick actions.

Even with all the inhumanities of Saddam, Iraqis weren't living in the mess they're living in at the present, day by day, and hour by hour.

The man doesn't have a clue about diplomacy, or appropriate behavior for a Super Power.

You don't jump up and declare War, in circumstances of sporadic, isolated attacks, that come years apart, against a country, that had nothing to do with the attacks, just because it MIGHT be a threat at some time in the future.

When Bu$h pushed our country into this war, he committed the single most dangerous act of the last three decades. His greatest attack, and the only one he is succeeding in, unfortunately, is destroying our own Democracy, our Constitutional Rights, freedoms and protections from undue government interferrence into our personal lives. His actions, have irreversable, devastating, long term consequences, internationally, and nationally. More people will die from his refusal to heed ecological warnings, than terrorists have killed. Automobile exhaust alone, kills more people a year, than the terrorist attacks. How the hell people fail to see through this jerk, and his tactics, is beyond me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

George W. Bu$h, The great Divider

Gayle in Md.