PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend for my Pool VIDEO collection

preacherman
07-15-2002, 09:48 PM
What do you recommend for my Pool VIDEO collection?
I am interested to see what CCB members recommend as
far as POOL videos.

I have heard that Accu_stats is good.
But there are so many! Is there any specific
ones you all would recommend?

Thanks for the input.

Jim (Preacherman)
www.geocities.com/poolforChrist/ (http://www.geocities.com/poolforChrist/)

07-15-2002, 10:07 PM
Hey there Jim!
Glad you made it back in one piece /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif It was touch and go there for a while, but I managed that feat myself!
My picks from AccuStats, start with the "Color of Money" challenge from Ridgley's (I know I spelled it wrong, so did they) in Hong Kong. This race to 125 shows just about every situation that can come up in nine ball, juxtaposes the styles of two true legends, and showcases just what a (blank) Earl Strickland really is. Every single tape contains some outrageous behavior on Earl's part (My favorite was when he so offended a perfectly mannered audience member that she walked out). The commentary is truly awful. Those who think Mitch and Dawn are bad should check this one out. You might rethink your defintion of bad. The final tape also doubles as a comedy, if you hang around afterwards and check out Mark Wilson's closing remarks.
Speaking of doubling as comedy, there's a tape out there of Jeanette vs. Robin. It's either a shut out, or Robin wins one in New Mexico. I think Jeanette shot a .980 or something like that in this tape. They hang around afterwards for a "fireside chat" whereupon Jeanette accuses Allison of picking her nose. It degenerates from there, but it's only worth sticking with for about ten to fifteen minutes, after that it's a waste of time. The match is excellant.
All the tapes of the Derby City Classic are worth getting, the Hill-Hill tapes are stunning, but my very favorite is the one where Efren defeats Earl 13-12 with a stunning kick out of his own (unintentional) safety on himself. I think this was a Sands Regency event.

Cueless Joey
07-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Lorri,
My favorite video is that last tape of the Color Of Money at Ridgeway in Hong Kong too.
Mark's co-commentator was terrible. In all fairness, this was a video made for the Philippine tv. He was terrible. He was the play-by-play announcer but did not keep the score. He didn't know how. He was nothing but a cheerleader for Efren. I wanted to write Vintage Sports in the Philippines to give them a schelacking. But, the EVENT itself and the outcome overcomes this announcer. I'm going to the Philippines this Christmas. I might seek the booger. LOL
My second favorite video is Efren against Bustamante in Cardiff back in 2000. Sadly this one's commentary is even worse. OMG, one announcer was talking in an Irish dialect and was SCREAMING on top of his voice. Efren runs 9 and a half racks. Jay Halfert says it's the best 9 ball video ever. I don't how you can get this video. I have the satellite feed video including the time countdown. Terrible quality but what can you do? Pool's coverage sukks.

07-15-2002, 10:31 PM
Yup. That's about the size of it. I LOVE your tag line Joey! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

preacherman
07-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the input :-)
I really enjoyed getting to know you and Diana (Dr. D).
If you ever think of other videos or books that you think are a must, please let me know.

Say hi to Diana from Jim and Joyce.

God bless you,
Jim (goproclaim@aol.com)

PQQLK9
07-16-2002, 06:26 AM
Hi Jim...I can't resist this one...Don "The Preacher" Fenney has a series of instructional tapes and one is titled "Sermonette From The Green" I found it to be rather enjoyable.

phil in sofla
07-16-2002, 08:45 AM
If you mean matches on tape, I've only viewed the Color of Money 1 and 2. Both are great as to the play, so-so as to production values. Big difference is that the first one (race to 120 or 125) goes about 13 hours and well over $100, and the second was just a race to 33.

If you mean instruction as well as matches, there really are many fine tapes out there. For banking and kicks, Grady Matthews has maybe 4 worthwhile tapes. For the fine points of stroke production, The Dead Stroke Tape, or Kinnister's Advanced Fundamentals tape. For safety play, a couple of Kinnister's tapes.

If you could be more specific in the type of thing you're looking for, I could give a more pointed recommendation. The way I look at it, if you get one thing that is useful and that helps your game out of a $30 tape, you've gotten decent value for the money, and almost every instructional tape I've seen has several things in it that you can use to win more games.

PoolFan
07-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Some Accu-Stats favorite

Sands Regency 21 - Finals: Reyes vs. Strickland, hill-hill amazing match, should not be missed

Sands Regency 20 - Martinez vs. Varner and Archer, awsome play, all players shooting at 900 pace

US Open 9-ball 1989 - I believe that's the year, call Accu-Stats for the famous Varner vs. Sigel match. Varner is down 9-2 and corner hooked, runs out and continues to win to bring the set hill-hill. Greatest come-from-behind win.

US Open 14.1 1992 - Sigel vs Zuglan: Best recorded 150 & Out in Sigel's first inning. Only gets out of line 2 or 3 times. He plays straight pool as perfect as can be.

You can not go wrong with Accu-Stats. They are as instructional as they are entertaining. The commentary is second to none. If you want to learn what the pro's do and think, listen to Matthews, Incardona, Varner, Hall, etc comment on player's situations.

I can not praise Accu-Stats enough for what they have done for pool. They are the most unsung heros of this sport.

Enjoy,
PoolFan - Greatest Accu-Stats Fan there is

Mike H
07-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Good call on those matches, I own all of them....here's some others I like:

1992 U.S. Open 14.1 Johnny Archer vs. Jeff Carter: Johnny goes 150 and out...a near picture-perfect run.

1995 U.S. Open 9-ball Jim Rempe-Jimmy Wetch: Just plain good, solid, sometimes deliberate 9-ball.

1998 U.S. Open 9-ball Jose Garcia-Tony Robles: Jose plays extremely well here....it's also a player review.

2001 Masters 9-ball Efren Reyes-Ralf Souquet: Both players shoot .930-something. Souquet is down 10-4 and comes back to tie it up.

1999 Derby City Banks Gary Spaeth-John Brumback: I saw Gary play banks and wanted to quit playing, he was so good.

2000 World One Pocket Champ. Finals Nick Varner-Alex Pagulayan: Nick REALLY locks up Alex here. Perfect example of quality conservative one-pocket.

Mike H~~~glad he found Accu-Stats

preacherman
07-16-2002, 04:39 PM
I hadn't heard of that one but it sounds good - LOL

preacherman
07-16-2002, 04:43 PM
I would like some good matches with GOOD commentary. That was my main thought.
But I am interested in instructional tapes too.

Thanks,
Jim
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/)

preacherman
07-16-2002, 06:04 PM
Thank you quite informative and helpful in my selecting of Accu-Stat videos.

Jim

preacherman
07-16-2002, 06:06 PM
Thank you this will help in my selecting of Accu-Stat videos.

Jim

NH_Steve
07-16-2002, 07:16 PM
What's your game -- 8 ball, 9 ball, straight? I focus on one pocket, and only own one 9-ball tape (I think Sands Regency Efren over Earl after the Magician two rail kicks a ball in and runs out in the hill-hill game). I could definitely advise about the 1P tapes...

Accu-stats has lots of all the games, including 3 cush. Call, and there's a good chance you'll get Pat Fleming himself & I'm sure he'd be happy to recommend tapes for you, and he will know exactly which ones are his best sellers. Accu-stats # 1-800-828-0937 Please note this is an unsolicited endorsement; I am not affiliated with them in any way -- just a frequent buyer!

ps Some rooms rent a selection of these tapes -- check near you.