PDA

View Full Version : Another Page in history

Deeman3
10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
BOSTON - When same-sex marriage became legal in Massachusetts, among those who tied the knot were former Rep. Gerry Studds and Dean Hara.

But getting married didnít protect them under federal law: Hara has learned he is not eligible for any portion of Studdsí estimated annual $114,337 pension following his partnerís death last week.

The 1996 federal Defense of Marriage Act blocks the federal government from recognizing the 2004 marriage between Studds and Hara or other same-sex couples.

Studds voted against the act, which was passed July 12, 1996, by a vote of 342-67, according to the House Clerkís office.

Studds, a Democrat, became the first openly gay member of U.S. House when his homosexuality was exposed during a 1983 teenage page sex scandal. He retired from political life in 1997 and died Saturday at age 69.

<font color="blue">Thankfully the system worked in this case. </font color>

pooltchr
10-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Dee, This can't be true. Nobody other than a republican could possibly have an inappropriate relationship while in office. Just ask Gayle!!!
Steve

DickLeonard
10-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Deeman yes it did!!! that makes their batting average 1 for 8 million 386 thousand 2 hundred and 58. I am finally proud to say I am an American. Please don't let me laugh alone.####

Gayle in MD
10-18-2006, 10:50 AM
AH HA HA HA...we don't have to go all the way back to 1983 to find the republicans with their hands in somebody's shorts. Atleast, back then, there was a "House Ethics Committee." Now days, that's an oxymoron. You didn't read anything in that 9/11 report about the emergency meeting requested by Tenet and Black with Condi,about the impending 9/11 attack, either, did you?

The July 10, 2001, meeting with Tenet, Black and Rice, when they gave her the starkest warning they had given the White House on bin Laden and alQaeda? Though the investigators had all the information about the meeting, Black said there were things the commissions wanted to know about, and things they didn't want to know about, so they didn't ask...same way Hastard, didn't ask.

Gayle in Md....9/11 Investigation, another Republcian Oxymoron

wolfdancer
10-18-2006, 11:42 AM
what, you don't believe in the sanctity of marriage?