PDA

View Full Version : The best place ever been

aritoni
10-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Which is the best place have you ever been?

Deeman3
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote aritoni:</font><hr> Which is the best place have you ever been? <hr /></blockquote>

Can't do best place but could do top places perhaps by assending level of importance to me.

Great Wall of China

Inside the Great Pyramid of Cheops

The cockpit of an F-111 fighter

In Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

On the field at Memphis Memorial Stadium

The top of Mount Blanc

The "Steps" in Mongolia

On the bottom of Mt. Fuji after having come back down

In the delivery room when my two daughters were born

In bed with my wife.

DeeMan

wolfdancer
10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
was the misspell a Freudian slip?
some pretty neat places you've been to.....

Deeman3
10-18-2006, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> was the misspell a Freudian slip? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I guess it was. Ascend, Assendofademocrat, I just can't spell worth a hoot anymore. Truth is, I never could... </font color>

DeeMan
Yes, far left wing, commy pinkos and even Archie Bunker spell better than me, I, Moi or whatever..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
No fair, you still haven't told us how old YOU are??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
10-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Deeman I have led a sheltered life compared to you my only place of note is Graceland now that Joe Scarbourgh is using Elvis's Jail House Rock for the background music for the list of Convicted Congressmen,Lobbyists.

I got kicked out of the delivery room for my 5 daughters. Spent all that time for LaMaze and the first thing the OBGYN said was get the hell out of here. 5 minutes later he came out to tell me another girl. ####

Deeman3
10-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Dick,

As I grew up in Memphis, I do have limited Graceland experience as well. However, it would not make my top ten list. I think I am the only person who grew up in Memphis who did not know Elvis personally nor did I even have an "Elvis" sighting while growing up.

I lived only a short distance from Graceland, as did Chopstick and Spiderman. Unlike them, I was not allowed to hang with the King. Once, me and Mike Heffington a high school chum and most outrageous character I knew back then, sneaked through the broken back fence crevice and secreted ourselves back up near the back of the house. At that moment, Mike and I discovered Elvis had two large dogs. Both were not very happy to meet us and while being the fastest rising football star in the city of Memphis, the only thng that saved my butt was that Mike was a few steps slower. I did discover that a rock fence can be vaulted and that a couple of bites did not really hurt anything but Mike's pride. Aside form that one experience, we did use to hang out and talk to Vernon, his dad, at the front gate but otherwise, I never did get to meet Elvis or even have a sighting. By the way, the visit to Graceland's back yard was alcohol induced but did not diminish my footspeed. Completely the opposite of what it does to me on a pool table. I don't now remember who's bright idea it was to trespass but if I was a liberal I could probably have sued him for allowing his dogs to make me soil my pants and Mike to lose the use of his.

DeeMan
My Jerry Lee Lewis stories are better as I lived two doors from him on Coro Lake....

Gayle in MD
10-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Well, atleast you weren't driving! You might have ended up in the pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Then Elvis might have had to call in one of his liberal lawyer friends to sue you. Everyone isn't as nice as SPetty, you know! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md.

nAz
10-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Wendy's bed last friday night /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman3
10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Well, atleast you weren't driving! You might have ended up in the pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Then Elvis might have had to call in one of his liberal lawyer friends to sue you. Everyone isn't as nice as SPetty, you know! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Everyone isn't as nice as SPetty. Truer words were never spoken. She is one of the few things I really miss from Texas.

Drive into the pool? Yep, that's me but, again, not one of my favorite places to be although I could well add PettyPoint to my previous list.

As far as liberal lawyers, my daughter can defend me but, alas, no one would describe her law practice as liberal.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

DeeMan
Pool has bean berry, berry gut to me...not the swimming pool......

Fran Crimi
10-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Great story! Tell the story about Jerry Lee. Did you know him well?

Fran

Gayle in MD
10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Uh oh, Naz!!!, when she get's here, she's gonna bust you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Great story! Tell the story about Jerry Lee. Did you know him well?

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Fran,

Yes, while shuned by Elvis, I knew Jerry Lee very well although I spent much of that time with his nephew, Junior, as Jerry Lee was just another adult on the block except he had many more and much cooler cars and motorcycles than the other dads. I didn't even realize what he did for a living until I was a little older. I only knew he handed out the best Halloween treats in the neighborhood. He would give us bags of candy each so we would change our disguises and go back there two or three times. When I was a kid, understand, he was not that much older or at least seemed younger than our parents. I have many, many stories that involve him but will just relate one now. By the way, he would on occasion come up to Funland; mine, Chopsticks and Spiderman's early pool hall haunt in Whitehaven in South Memphis, and even back some of us on games.

Anyway, when we were high school seniors, we borrowed his pontoon boat and along with those that belonged to our parents, tied them all together to have a nice lake party. We had three tied together, Alvin Roser brought four kegs and Mike Heffington brought other non-republican items. We ended up after midnight out in the middle of the lake with over 40 people on the floatilla, all appropriately drunk and Bactine, a local kids named for his habit of huffing things, decided he was going to shoot fish. He had found a .45 automatic on Jerry's boat and started shooting at fish even us semi-sober folks could not really see. While he never put a bullet into a boat, somehow the excited movement of those who were not aware of Bactine's plans ran all over the boat somehow dislodging Jerry Lee's boat from the res, tipping it and making the pontoons take on water. We tried to right the boat but once it got the open tops of the pontoon under the water, it was really all over. There we were with his boat suspended in the depths still clinging to the other boats by a line or two. Long story shorter, in the morning we went back with scuba gear to see if we could rescue the boat, Jerry had stopped by and saw his boat had completely broken free of the ropes and was gone into the abyss. I knew I was in for hell. Jerry was only upset that he had lost that stupid gun because Elvis (see my associative/incidental contact only) had given it to him. Bactine had rescued the gun by keeping it on him. Once Jerry had the gun he seemed perfectly happy and told us not to risk diving in the lake. For all I know, that boat is still at the bottom of Coro Lake and in the next few years that I was aroound him, off and on, he never said another word about it. I asked Junior a few years later if he had gotten into trouble over it and he said Jerry never even mentioned it to his parents! What a guy. </font color>

DeeMan

wolfdancer
10-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Story I heard is that Jerry, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilly are all cousins....???
you're from that part of the country...heck you might be a cousin as well.

Deeman3
10-19-2006, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Story I heard is that Jerry, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilly are all cousins....???
you're from that part of the country...heck you might be a cousin as well. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> It is absolutely true that they are cousins although the others were not famous when I knew Jerry Lee. I do remember Jerry Lee's love/hate relationship with Elvis or at least his envy of him. It was not uncommon for Jerry Lee to show up at Graceland and start shooting his gun into the air. Out of all those events, he was only arrested once, I believe. Other times, Vernon just told him to go home. Of course, Jerry Lee was somewhat known for marrying his 13 year old cousin but, like Wolfdancer might point out, we wouldn't even take notice of that down here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font color>

DeeMan

nAz
10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
lol now that is a good story, got anymore?
can't wait till i get really so i can share mine. j/k /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wolfdancer
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Dee, that's some good stories from there...must have been interesting growing up around all that.

DickLeonard
10-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Naz I am waiting for 9 Ball Birls reply before I wade in.####

Deeman3
10-20-2006, 05:47 AM
One more silly story but it's true. Elvis was big on spending big on things. he would buy a Cady for a poor black woman he might see looking into the showroom window or buy all his friends, The Memphis Mafia, rings, watches or cars.

Whitehaven was outside the city limits back then and Buck Taylor had a fireworks stand that sat just on the edge of Whitehaven on Highway 51 (now Elvis Prestley Blvd.). Elvis went in and bought over $3,500 worth of fireworks, a lot of money back then. Buck would not cash the check so he would have a check from Elvis. Many people did that but usually with much smaller amounts. Jerry Lee found this out and went down to Buck's tent and bought up about $4 grand in fireworks. Of course, Buck tried to cash that check and told us that it bounced for insufficient funds. Jerry Lee made a lot of money but not on the scale of Elvis and unfortunately, he was not good with money. At one time, he lost all to the IRS over unpaid taxes, ala Willy Nelson. I would not tell this story and include the taxes problem but that was all public knowledge even back then.

Anyway, the next time Jerry Lee saw Buck he let him have it for cashing that check. Buck later told me, "You know, it's the first time I ever been dressed down and threatened with no new business from a guy who gave me a hot check! I guess he wanted me to beg him to come back and write another one!"

DeeMan

Fran Crimi
10-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the story, DeeMan. Good one! I remember seeing a film on his life. If I'm not mistaken, I think he was played by Dennis Quaid. Jerry Lee sure was a strange one. Made great music, though.

Fran