PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Deciding

BrianW
10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Ive been playing pool every day at school and im getting tired of the horrible cues. Chipped tips and warped shafts. I also want to get into a league. Im looking to buy my first que. The two cues im looking at is Lucasi L-E11 and the Panther P304. The Lucasi is 164 and the Panther is 200, but the panther comes with a free Tiger X-Shaft.
Im leaning towards the panther because i love the look and have read good things about the xshaft.
If anyone has experience of these two cues, or can offer another suggestion for under 200, that would be great.

hectorcaves
10-24-2006, 01:45 AM
I OWN PREDATOR Z SHAFT AND THE TIGER X SHAFT
EXECELLENT SHAFTS DONT HESITATE TO BUY
I ALSO RECOMMEND UNIVERSAL SHAFT
CHECK OUT NEW DVD ON AIMING

kd5kfl
10-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I checked out 2 Lucasis in a Superpawn in Las Vegas.

They were probably good cues when they came out of the box. Sitting there in the pawn shop, the wrap was hanging all loose and ragged on both.

Either both belonged to someone who thrashed the wrapping, or they weren't done right at the factory.

Rich R.
10-30-2006, 03:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kd5kfl:</font><hr> I checked out 2 Lucasis in a Superpawn in Las Vegas.

They were probably good cues when they came out of the box. Sitting there in the pawn shop, the wrap was hanging all loose and ragged on both.

Either both belonged to someone who thrashed the wrapping, or they weren't done right at the factory.
<hr /></blockquote>If the cues were still in good shape, and straight, they could have been a good buy. Any repair person can replace the wrap for you.

Snapshot9
10-30-2006, 04:36 AM
Seems you are favoring the looks of it more than the playability of it. Just as a general rule though, usually there is a notable difference in quality of any stick between the under $200 to the $200-250 range for some reason. So, if you can up it just a little to 200-250 range, I think you will get a better quality cue.

Panther has some nice ones (P500-502) for $239.95 with the extra shaft. Lucasi has some nice looking ones for $240.
I know the $200-250 Lucasi's play good, my brother has one (the one with blue inlays).

I checked the prices at www.beadsandbilliards.com (http://www.beadsandbilliards.com)

Just my opinion, but I think you wuld do yourself better with a traditional type look for that price range, instead of eye candy so much.

By the way, Shurtz cues starts their custom cues at $220, with choice of 4 woods (no inlays), an irish linen wrap and choice of tips, choice of stain, and it would be built for you. Just food for thought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
10-30-2006, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr>By the way, Shurtz cues starts their custom cues at $220, with choice of 4 woods (no inlays), an irish linen wrap and choice of tips, choice of stain, and it would be built for you. Just food for thought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
This would be a steal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Shurtz cues are made by the father of former U.S. Open Champ Gabe Owen. Gabe was playing with a Shurtz cue when he won the Open and these cues have a very good reputation.
This would be a much better choice than a production cue, IMHO.

Snapshot9
10-30-2006, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr>By the way, Shurtz cues starts their custom cues at $220, with choice of 4 woods (no inlays), an irish linen wrap and choice of tips, choice of stain, and it would be built for you. Just food for thought. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>
This would be a steal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Shurtz cues are made by the father of former U.S. Open Champ Gabe Owen. Gabe was playing with a Shurtz cue when he won the Open and these cues have a very good reputation.
This would be a much better choice than a production cue, IMHO. <hr /></blockquote>

I have to correct myself, the starting custom is $230, not $220. You can see an example of one at:
Shurtz custom starter cue (http://www.shurtzcue.com//gallery/FrameSet.htm)