PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of offending everyone...

wolfdancer
10-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Here's an article by Dave Pell, one of my favorite writers.
Dave is merely commenting on German Chancellor Schroeder's remarks concerning his talks with GWB.
Sorry, it's a double whammy...politics and religion (mea culpa, mea maxima culpa)
Dave can be read at www.davenetics.com/ (http://www.davenetics.com/)

In his new memoir, Ex-German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder explains the one of his chief hesitations during his pre-Iraq talks with President Bush was W's consistent references to god:

"What worried me, despite a relaxed atmosphere to our talks, and to a certain degree what made me sceptical was how much it came through that this president saw himself as 'God-fearing' and saw that as the highest authority ... I can well understand if someone is devout and strives for a dialogue with God, in this case prayer. The problem that I have with that starts when the impression arises that political decisions are the result of a dialogue with God ... Quite rightly we criticize that in most Islamic states the role of religion in society and the secular character of the legal system are not clearly separated. But we haven't taken note as readily of the U.S. Christian fundamentalists and their interpretation of the bible that show similar tendencies."

On the most basic level, we have a clear failure by W to determine what would motivate (or turn off) the person on the other side of an historic negotiation. We also see an example of how deeply the religiosity of this President soaks into his decisions, personal style and oh so briefly refreshing certainty.

The true believers (political ones I mean) really did find the ideal instrument to carry their election-winning message. I almost felt better when I thought the religious fixation was solely a crass card played by the electoral puppet masters. To be sure, that's exactly what it is for most of the speech-writers and political consultants (on both sides of the aisle) who push one brand of worship and morality to attract a voting block while referring to members of that growing congregation as "goofy" and "nuts."

The problem with using this campaign strategy, illustrated with alarming clarity in the above example, is that it may be impossible to turn back the dial (and this one goes way past eleven). Today, it might make sense to pander to the evangelical leanings of a massive block of voters. But bestowed power will not be transferred away so easily and the folks jerking on the political joysticks could realize that the "goofy nuts" might soon be, oh I don't know, running the country? And it's not just the elite left coast newsletter writers who are worried. It turns out that you can be a Republican, Midwest Senator and an Episcopalian priest and still be worried that our country is slipping into two parties, one religious and one secular

hondo
10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm deeply offended. BTW, I'm looking for a really NICE
sneaky pete for less than $10. Any recommendations?
Also, what do they mean by a fair hole on a cue? Is
that that white thingy under the tip?

Drop1
10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Didn't offend me,maybe some paranoid lost soul,will find something in it I didn't see.

Gayle in MD
10-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Excellent post! Thanks.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
10-25-2006, 05:13 AM
So, when you get voted out of office in your own country, just bash W, it will make all the pain and embarrasment go away.

eg8r

wolfdancer
10-25-2006, 08:58 AM
you might be right there,Ed. It's pretty unusual for this type of commentary to be made about a current head-of-state.
While the idea of some form of "Messianic Complex" is troubling....I've gained a new insight into GWB.
If his faith is as strong as the Chancellor reports it to be, and if he is in fact, guided by his religious beliefs....then I have to question by beliefs about him.
But if it was just "sour grapes" by Schroedar....
He lost his position to Merkel, but in exchange his party got 8 seats, hers got 6.
I'd go for a deal like that to get a new President here.