PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Brass Rail/ Amateur Nats.

07-16-2002, 11:32 PM
Okay, I've slept for 13 hours, fixed the Koi pond, played some pool, and now I can share some thoughts on the past weekend, for those not lucky enough to attend.
D and I left at the unGodly hour of 6 am Monday morning, and arrived in Boone, NC at about 4 pm. The good Doctor was kind enough to give me ten minutes to freshen up before we headed over to Chris in NC's pool room. Chris was wonderful to us, and his room is gorgeous! The woodwork was just beautiful, highlighting a vaulted ceiling that you'd never expect to find in a pool hall.. The place was immaculate. Even the mini blinds didn't have a speck of dust on them! The food was great, as were the tables. This was my first experience playing on a Connelly, and I must say, I was impressed. Even the lighting was perfect. The tables had big flourescents over them, but that was the only flourescent lighting in the place. All the other lighting fixtures had very soft and aging-skin friendly pink incandescant bulbs. A woman's touch? My guess is Mrs. NC had something to do with that! LOL Thanks, Ma'am. Drayton and I remembered each other from Valley Forge. What a cool kid! I spent some time racking for Chris on his new Gabriel. I'm sure it's a lovely table, I only got four shots on it though. (Chris is my pick for the CCB tourney at VA) All in all, we were very glad we stopped. When we left, Chris gave both of us big ole bear hugs (Chris is HUGE) and wished us luck. What a great guy.
Tuesday found us on the road at a slightly more reasonable hour (8:30) The trip down the mountain was almost as scenic as the one up. We arrived in Athens at around 4:30-5:00. Traveler's advisory; the Microtel in Athens SUCKS! No pool, no high speed internet access, and the room Holly and I had stunk! No really, it smelled bad. Not because of us. Oh, and they got bugs there that'd scare the snot outta ya. I bitched at D all the way out the lobby (Yes, a generous ten minutes after we'd checked in!) We got to the Brass Rail and started playing. Landon Shuffett was a few tables away, practicing for his exhibition Thursday night. Watching Landon and his Dad Stan together is a real treat. They look like a Norman Rockwell painting. After about 20 minutes Papa Murphy came in. He said Hello to everyone, and came to our table. I met him halfway, and he gave me the warmest smile and handshake and said "You must be Lorri Lindsay. I heard you're unhappy because your hotel has no pool. (My jaw hit the floor at this point) Honey, you just grab all your friends, and you head on up to my hotel whenever you want to go swimming. You tell them Doug Murphy said it was OK." I picked myself up off the floor and thanked him, and then we began to flirt. Now, I'm no slouch in the flirting department, but this man puts me to shame. I'm pretty sure that anyone else who asked Dr. D how "the twins" were would find themselves in traction, but somehow Doug makes it work! The entire staff at Murphy's is excellent, they quickly learned almost everyone's name, and were more than happy to hang around after work and toss back Tequila shooters!
We ran into the preacherman and his wife (Jim and Joyce). Now, I had this image in my head of a tall, thin, balding guy that didn't smile much and proselytized endlessly, but nothing could have been further from the truth! Jim is young and energetic, and seemed totally at ease despite me cursing and Yvonne trying to hook me and my new best friend Jackie up on a date! We had a lot of laughs, final verdict: Jim is cool. Nobody mess with Jim, or I'll have A LOT to say about it!! LOL I was withdrawing from some nasty medications for much of the weekend, so I spent a lot of time in a zombie like trance, and I still had the time of my life! Murphy's currently hosts about one special event a month, so if you haven't been yet, make plans!! Unless of course, you don't like having fun and watching/being in action big and small! Oh, the scenery is pretty good too, for both guys and girls.
Words and phrases you'll need to know:
Dude. dude. Duuuddde (accompanied by a slow nod. Thumbs up for additional emphasis optional.)
Y'all. note; this can be used as either singular or plural.
Git ya some.
Do I get a toaster now?
How are the twins today?
Tequila! (pronounced like the last 'Dude'. Again, emphasis optional.)

Thank You Doug and June Murphy!! You guys are the best, and you throw one Hell of a party!!!

Doctor_D
07-17-2002, 04:39 AM
Good morning:

I would like to say that I share all of Lorri's comments and sentiments, except for the shooters of Tequilla, and that the trip was totally awesome. Having the opportunity to compete with some of the best talent in the United States, as well as our new Austrian Dynamo - Jasmin, and make many many new friends was indeed a treat. Oh, by the way, Jackie's toaster has been ordered and will be delivered to her this week. Would love to be a fly on the wall when that baby is delivered /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2002, 06:54 AM
Greetings Lorri,

Thanks for the report. That was cool.

Sounds like young Jasmin is the real deal. And only 16? That's scary /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. I read your story about playing a match against her.

BTW they didn't make y'all eat grits did they? /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

07-17-2002, 07:41 AM
I'd like to see them try! That $hit is nasty!

9 Ball Girl
07-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Sounds like a good time was had by all! Thanks for the report.

Wendy~~loves Lorri's tag lines (especially the political one!) /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

07-17-2002, 09:15 AM

cheesemouse
07-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Yes, Lorri
I want to here the best pick-up lines those southern boys are using now days.

Doctor_D
07-17-2002, 09:19 AM
Good morning:

In the most sophisticated manner, Lorri charmed the socks off those Southern Gentlemen !!!!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

DEADSTOKE32
07-17-2002, 10:28 AM
WELL THANK GOD YOU GUY GOT HOME SAFE .
AND LORI I LOVE 2 HEAR THE UP DATE ON YOUR MATCH WITH THE "HEATER".WHO WON THE 8 BALL GAME ?AND DID YOU GET "KENCT" 2 PLAY?????
QUESTIONS LOOKIN 4 ANSWERS
AND DID YOU FORGET ABOUT ME ............???

Scott Lee
07-17-2002, 11:02 AM
Nice post Lorri! I have plans to stop into Chris's room too! I haven't been to Murphy's Brass Rail, but I am booked at UGeorgia in Athens this fall, so I will be certain to go in and meet Doug! Sounds like a great room!
Thanks for the heads up on the tourney!

Scott

heater451
07-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Dude!

Ken never wanted in. . . .

Um, I think I pulled maybe two games ahead at some point, and then we wound up hill/hill, and then she took the last game.

I was much better at not handing over ball-in-hand on nearly every shot (more blockers on the table!), although I think I remember scratching with the 8 down at least once. . . .

Lorri will probably have a more detailed account, although we were both pretty much distracted, and just having fun.

~~Looks like I just have to start sober, or I've gotta learn how to shoot liquored up (again).

=====================

Stan Shuffett
07-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Hi Lorri,
Never in my days would I have ever come up with the Norman Rockwell idea. Thanks for the nice words. And BTW, you have a way with words. It was nice meeting you.

Stan

07-17-2002, 08:27 PM
Lorri, thanks for the kind words you had to say about our place. It's easy to keep a nice clean room when you don't allow smoking or alcohol, though I realize there is certainly a tradeoff there. It was truly an honor and pleasure to have you and Diana here. To take the time and effort to go out of your way on your long voyage to Athens to drop by here means alot to me. Actually the pink lights were my idea - borrowed from Outback Steakhouse. Hope to see you guys at an upcoming tourney! - Chris in NC

07-17-2002, 08:53 PM
Dude!
How could I ever forget you? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Yeah, Heater took pity on me and let me win the 8 ball too. Ken CT took off about half way through, and since I was moving on someone else's ride I had to quit anyway.

07-17-2002, 11:21 PM
More? Gosh, you people are greedy! LOL Okay, let's see what would amuse you...
Best pick up lines; I'm kinda partial to "Howdy Ma'am" there's just something about a cute southern boy drawling this that's irresistable /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Oh, and then there was this other guy, very rude, who asked ME to buy HIM a drink! He then got very offended when I smiled, introduced myself, shook his hand and then told him that it was impolite to gawk at someone he hadn't been properly introduced to. (I'm skipping the gawking part cause my fingers really hurt)The bartenders were on the floor, and I think if I'd been alone at that point I might have been a little nervous. So then the idiot turns beet red and throws a wad of cash on the bar and starts woofing about 15 g's. Wish my friend Joey had been there. We'd have been 15 g's richer! LOL EFFing rednecks, you gotta love 'em.
Oh, now I'm sure some of you are wondering about the toasters. I didn't get one. There was this really hot bartender though.......
Getting licked by Papa Murphy was pretty interesting, can't say that's ever happened to me in public before! Peg Ledman was wonderful. She keeps everything running smoothly, and she's so even tempered that it's a pleasure to attend one of her events.
I was not the only attendee surrounded by beaus however! Dr. D seemed to attract quite a bit of attention as well. When she didn't have some potential suitor snuggling up to her, she was surrounded by CCbers, or folks snapping her picture.
I made a new best friend in GA too. Her name is Jackie, and that girl is 'Da Bomb'! Jackie got lots of toasters. I'm definately looking foward to visiting with her when my samples are ready. There's another couple of people that I'm looking foward to seeing again, but I'm not telling who. (Okay, maybe the hot bartender....)And definately the website designer.....
The really interesting thing I noticed about the folks in GA is that there's no automatic 30 point IQ drop when you're from the south. Now, this did not really surprise me, as this was not my first foray past the Mason Dixon line, I only throw it out as a segue. All in all, the folks I met in GA were easily as sharp and well educated as any northerner I know, and they've got that cute accent to boot! Okay, my fingers need a break again!
Lorri

Doctor_D
07-18-2002, 05:40 AM
Good morning:

We left Athens at 6:00AM on Monday and I was home at 9:00PM Monday night. Needless to say, we were hauling butt up the Interstates !!!

Dr. D.

DEADSTOKE32
07-18-2002, 06:50 AM
I C .MAYBE YOU AND LORRI AND MYSELF CAN SOME OTHER TIME.JUST LET ME KNOW.IF YOUR GOING 2 THE OPEN. OK

07-18-2002, 07:43 AM

07-18-2002, 12:59 PM
The folks in England ain't the only ones, Darlin'! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif Although I have seen southerners move so slow you'd swear they were messing with you, I've rarely met a stupid one, or for that matter, one I didn't like!

preacherman
07-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Lorri,
Great post sounds like I'll need to check out Chris's pool hall in NC. Also thank you for the kind words about Joyce and I. I'm sure happy I didn't look like what you pictured - LOL! We enjoyed you and Diana. I look forward to our next meeting.

Jim (Preacherman)
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/ (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/)

preacherman
07-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Lorri,
Thanks for the kind words and that I made it into the "COOL" category in your book. And that No messing with Jim - Your something :-) Hope we meet soon, and be careful.
I know, I know, your smart to all that, but I still want you to be careful. Sure hated that I didn't get to see you play while I was there.

Jim

preacherman
07-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Chris (or anyone else).
What is the name of Chris's pool hall and what town is it in in NC.

Thanks,
Jim (Preacherman)

Doctor_D
07-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Good evening:

Country Retreat Family Billiards
Highway 105 South
Boone (Foscoe), NC

Dr. D.

Voodoo Daddy
07-19-2002, 09:38 PM
Actually...the IQ average goes up 5 points every 40 miles south of Georgia until you get to Ft Lauderdale and then it decreases until you hit KEY WEST. While your there you dont need an IQ...just a big bankroll and a tolerance for booze!

preacherman
07-19-2002, 10:00 PM
Diana,
Thank you so very much.
Jim :-)

SPetty
07-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Hey, did you guys get to meet the poster known as JayCee? There was a previous post where he said he would be there and try to meet you.

And, BTW, what's the story with the toaster??!?

Doctor_D
07-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Good afternoon:

The "Toaster" is one hell of a good story. However, due to the length and nature of the subject it would be best to discuss it one on one.

Dr. D.

07-22-2002, 07:11 PM
JayCee was there, but was pressed for time and didn't get to meet anyone. I have a vague recollection of blonde hair and a smile, but it could have been someone else.....