PDA

View Full Version : Ajusting to new table

cheesemouse
07-17-2002, 06:08 AM
When you move to a new table for a match and you only have time for a few practice shots, what shots do you shoot and why, to determine the conditions of that table? Just curious...

Chris Cass
07-17-2002, 10:33 AM
Hi Cheese,

I like Whitewolf check for straightness. I start out after with the natural 3 rail bank from the corner pocket. This tells me if the table is running long or short. Also, tells me speed. The next is the 2 rail bank cross table. This tells me how much reverse the rails are giving me. I also check the rails buy hand to see if the rubber is in tact.

I'll run my hand against the bed and see if the cloth bunches, in any particular area. Indicating the cloth is loose or tight. If it bunches because it's loose I can pretty much tell the table is slow.

Regards,

C.C.~~likes the cheese.

Scott Lee
07-17-2002, 10:41 AM
cheese...Two things I teach in lessons I give students are PERFECT for this application. The first is the speed drill, where you can learn the speed and roll of the table
very easily. You practice by using a soft, medium, and hard stroke. This equates to a lag (2 lengths of the table), a medium speed stroke (3 lengths of the table) and a hard, or break shot (4 lengths of the table). This will show you the speed of the cloth in a heartbeat. The other thing I always do is figure the natural 3 rail kick angle, from corner pocket to corner pocket. This shows me how the table rolls with a soft, or medium speed shot...and allows me to adjust the angle, to be able to kick to the corner using 3 rails, very easily! The player who can adapt to new
table conditions more quickly will generally win the match.

Scott Lee

Jay M
07-17-2002, 10:50 AM
Three rail kick to the corner to see if the table is long or short and how much the cue bounces into the air on the first one.

Short rail shot to leave the cue on the far end of the table to see the speed.

full draw on a straight in shot tells me the friction on the table and also shows off whether the tail end of the roll is long or short.

roll a ball by hand straight up the table to see if the table leans on the vertical axis

roll a ball by hand across the table to see if the table leans on the horizontal axis.

When rolling balls up to the foot of the table for the rack, roll one on each diagonal to look for weird inconsistencies in the slate.

That's if I only have a few minutes. Most tournaments will give the players some time to warm up and that time is best spent with the players alternating full racks. Players shooting as if they are playing a game doesn't really help either of you. Get up, shoot a rack, sit down and let your opponent do the same. If you miss while you are shooting, grab the balls and put them back into place. If a ball gets in the way of a shot, move it, get out of line, put the cue back in line... don't destroy your confidence while warming up.

Jay M