PDA

View Full Version : Using Scotch brand Mailing Tape...

cheesemouse
02-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Just hit 100 jumps and left no mark on the cloth. I put the Scotch mailing tape down on the cloth where I wanted to practice and placed the cueball on it and fired off 100 jumps and when finished there was no damage to the cloth and no lasting marks. Any better ideas??

02-23-2002, 04:00 PM
They sounds like a good idea but when you peel the tape off does it ruin your felt? Maybe not, just wanting to know. I need to do the same practice.

Q-guy
02-23-2002, 04:13 PM
If you are practicing your technique and not really trying to pocket balls. It is a good idea to have a few square feet of indoor outdoor carpet for the cueball to land on. You can also use a piece of billiard cloth to land on if you are trying to pocket balls. It doesn't really effect the shot and protects you table

cheesemouse
02-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Corner/p,
Good ??? I just went back and checked that out. It doesn't appear or feel like any adhesive residue was left behind.

cheesemouse
02-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Q-guy,
I will give your suggestions a go on my next jumpshot practice session; every little bit helps, thanks /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

02-23-2002, 08:53 PM
as a matter of fact, our resident cloth-fetishist, chris in n.c., mentioned a long while back that when he has new cloth on his tables he makes people use a piece of table cloth under the c.b. for breaks to keep the burn marks down. don't know about jump shots. one fool even called them cue doillies or cue cozies.

chris would be proud of me. when they installed my table, i kept the scraps for that exact purpose...cue doillies. and i still have them. in a drawer. untouched since.

dan...ok to be a fool if you have style.

Rod
02-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Cheese, did any cloth or fibre leave with the tape?
Those scrap peices of cloth as mentioned is really best.
How do you shoot 100 in a row? Dumb question I know but
I doubt I've ever shot more than 10 at one time.
If I don't have any consistancy by then, I need to regroup,
break the cue or something? BTW hows those kick shots?
Well we all have things to work on, maby your name here
should be Hoppie. Thats what I call my jump cue.
Hippity hoppity, have fun!

cheesemouse
02-23-2002, 09:48 PM
Rod,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>How do you shoot 100 in a row?<hr></blockquote>
Yes,some fibers did come off but more like taking lent off clothes. Believe me it was the first time I ever hit 100 and it will be the last. It is the first jumpstick I have had; I wish they were outlawed. I only have till next Wednesday to learn how to use it and when to use it. As for my kicking, if you and I were matched up you would be playing safe just to watch the beauty of my kicks,that is, when I let you off the bench /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
02-23-2002, 10:22 PM
cheesemouse:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Rod, As for my kicking, if you and I were matched up you would be playing safe just to watch the beauty of my kicks,that is, when I let you off the bench /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif<hr></blockquote>Ohhh, another gauntlet thrown. When will the first match begin? This is the fifth challenge, carried over from the last couple of weeks./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Ken (Rackmup) vs. bernie
JayM vs. Patrick
...what were the others, I should have written this down.

cheesemouse
02-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Tom,
Wolf'n in cyberspace http://www.animation-station.com/anigifs/anim0578.gif

Rod
02-24-2002, 02:55 AM
Yes i have to agree, I wish jumpers were outlawed also.
But i'm afraid it's no going back now. Of course jumping
balls is nothing new, it's been around a long time.
The jump cues are new, what about 15 to 20 years now?
Why the deadline on this jump stuff? I guess you'll know
when if you feel comfortable. I noticed you play golf,
you have the edge there, my handicap was at 7 but it
went down hill some time ago. Your right about me watching you kick, I always enjoy watching anyone kick, so I'll
not take exception to watching you either.
You'll probably be even better afterwards. Mr cheesemouse
you know what happens when the mouse tries to get the
cheese, SNAP!! Thats what happens if you get off the
bench. I hope your faster than Speedy Gonzales! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

cheesemouse
02-24-2002, 11:08 AM
Rod,
Rod,
The cheese has avoided all the traps, so far. The cheese follows his greatgrand mouse's, the 'big cheese's' advice: "don't cross this room unless you can do it in 9.9 seconds cause the cat does it in 10."
My golf game is suffering from age related distance loss but I still try to find were I misplaced it /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif By nature I try to find a way and that's why the jumpstick. I got tired of fighting the windmills and signed-up.

02-25-2002, 12:54 PM
"... I wish jumpers were outlawed also. "

I have to admit, I've never used a special jump cue. Why should they be outlawed anyway? Do they really make jumping balls easier? Rarely can I successfully jump an entire ball, usually I'll only try it when I only need to clear a partial ball, and masse' is not an option. On my home table w/ 860 Simonis, I can't jump anything, only during league on slower cloth does it seem to work at all. Do I need a jump cue?

Tim - after 100 attemps, still grounded...

heater451
02-25-2002, 01:15 PM
I think the primary advantage of a "jump cue" is that it weighs much less than a regular cue. The lighter mass enables the jumper to rebound from the cueball quickly, which keeps the cueball from being trapped or pinned to the cloth, stifling the jump. I think some may also have a 'special' tip as well. . . .

I know a friend who jumps fairly well--and he will choose to do so over a masse--but he simply unscrews and uses the shaft from his shooting cue.

Ken
02-25-2002, 01:26 PM
They're known as "break pads" around here.

cheesemouse
02-25-2002, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Do I need a jump cue?

Tim - after 100 attemps, still grounded...<hr></blockquote>

Tim in ATL,
Go to the AZBoard and in the open discussion there is a thread&gt;&gt;&gt;$.79 jumpstick&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; It maybe a cheap way for you to check out whether you want to buy a jumpstick or not. I can't tell if it is serious or not but it sounds cheap and easy to do./ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

the cheese likes cheap things

02-25-2002, 01:34 PM
"... he simply unscrews and uses the shaft from his shooting cue. "

BCA rules state that a cue must be 40" minimum. I don't think using just the shaft is (BCA anyway) legal, if your friend cares. This could get him in a pickle in a money game if parties agree to follow BCA rules.

Since you mention it though, I'll give it a try to see if it helps.

Tim - must lose fear of flying...

heater451
02-25-2002, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>BCA rules state that a cue must be 40" minimum. I don't think using just the shaft is (BCA anyway) legal, if your friend cares. This could get him in a pickle in a money game if parties agree to follow BCA rules.<hr></blockquote>

I can see your point, but I also have never seen anyone that rule-happy in a money game (although, you might think they would be more so). In my opinion, those people are more concerned with the basic 'call-shot' vs. 'call-pocket' and 'ball-in-hand' vs. 'ball-in-kitchen' rules.

Now you've got me wondering, just how long is an average 'jump cue'--in jump mode, if it's a jump/break cue?

02-25-2002, 04:53 PM
From what I've noticed, about 41". Just long enough to to BCA legal.

&gt;I also have never seen anyone that rule-happy in a money game...

I have. I hate playing with those types of folks. You're right about them being more concerned with 'call-shot' vs. 'call pocket'.
I grew up in the LA suburbs, and back then, people in the bars would make you call everything, # of rails, kisses, etc., even in some cases counting the points of the pocket as a rail.
Nobody here in Atlanta that I've played with, in bars or otherwise, have been quite so nitpicky, thank god...

Tim

02-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Hey cheese, the AZ board you mention...is that the AZBilliards board you are talking about? If so, I couldn't find the thread you're talking about.

Tim

cheesemouse
02-25-2002, 05:13 PM
Tim
Yea, just click on the 'OPEN DISCUSSION AREA' and it should be second from the top, click on that and read the thread.

Rod
02-25-2002, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> I have to admit, I've never used a special jump cue. Why should they be outlawed anyway? Do they really make jumping balls easier? <hr></blockquote>

Yes they do Tim. I say outlawed, but there is no way at this point. I like the idea of jumping with your playing
cue. There have been tournaments where jump cues were not allowed. Someone mentioned a shaft jump, which I'm definately opposed to, and would not let anyone use a shaft only in my tournaments. It's not legal anyway, unless it's
over 40" long. You asked if you needed one. It might be a good idea. Find a light house cue, as light as possible.
It makes a big difference, jumping with 15oz compared to 19oz. I cut off an old McDermott with a plastic joint to
use as a jump cue. At 41" and 10oz it works real good.
With experience and technique being able to jump a ball,
especially with a jump cue is not a problem. The difficult
part is when the ball you jump is close to the c/b.
Anyway some others gave you ideas also, anything light
with a hard tip jumps a lot better than a heavy cue.
One more thing, jumping on your 860 should not be a
problem. It gets more difficult when the slate is under
1" thick such as a bar table.

heater451
02-25-2002, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>. . .I grew up in the LA suburbs, and back then, people in the bars would make you call everything, # of rails, kisses, etc., even in some cases counting the points of the pocket as a rail. . .<hr></blockquote>
I grew up with the call-shot, ball-in-kitchen rules, what I've always referred to as "Gentleman's Pool", and I never consider the last 6" or so into the pocket as a rail--I call this "no short rail" (which can be confusing, I know).

Another thing about Gentleman's Pool, if you know that you're playing someone of good character, you trust them on shots. Anyone of dubious character, you watch closely, and make sure that you call everything, to avoid arguments(especially those 3-rail-kick-carom-combos to the corner).

When I played league in SoCal, nearly everyone was known, and most of us didn't call anything "obvious", which pretty much only includes 'straight in'. One acquaintance use o say about bank shots, "you only have to call opposite rails".

I've never been screwed on "house rules" anywhere (unless you count having to pony up a quarter for the "cuss-can" at an Eagles lodge once), but I've probably just been lucky. When playing in bars, however, I find it good practice to always ask what rules my opponent plays by--even when I 'own' the table.

I believe in 'Rules Before the Break'. I find it annoying, when some yahoo wants to play bank-8, when I'm about to close the game. Oh, yeah, and then there's the "8 has to be clean", after it's down (bothersome, but not as bad, if they bring it up before the shot--however, rules should still be "before the break".)

I don't really like the "any pocket" of APA, even when it's in my favor (too much anti-slop conditioning), but hey, I'll play any rules.

02-25-2002, 09:18 PM
I Have been victim to the "short rail" illegal bank crap once in my life. If you ever run into a lowlife scum loser like this I would recommend not pursuing the issue.
The game was call shot 8- ball, which 8-ball I just despise anyway, I broke the first game, called every shot, which I will never forget included a 2 rail bank on one shot and a carom on another. I ran out to the 8 and called the eight in the corner. WEll, needless to say, the ball hit in the rail inside the pocket. The low life said "you didn't call it off the rail, you lose, pay up. I said you are kidding. He said no, I said it was call shot and you didn't call the bank on the 8. I through him a ten and said I hope your proud of your win, you didn't even shoot and we're through. No need to pursue this type of action.

cheesemouse
02-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Heat &amp;TheShot,
You guys are blowing my mind. I thought that call every stupid thing in the world bar pool went out when vegas rules came in. I haven't run into those kind of local b/s rules in 15 years. All they do is cause fights.

the cheese can't call kisses and rails /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

02-25-2002, 11:09 PM
Hey cheese, this was about 8 yrs ago when I was under age, in a dive and trying to leave with hands and fingers still functioning.
I made it /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif never been back.

cheesemouse
02-26-2002, 12:26 AM
TheShot,

Short pool story: Myself and a new girl friend are driving down the coast of Oregon enjoying a beautiful day. We pull into a Tavern for a beer. A real local type place. We're at the bar with a pitcher and these old gizzers are behind us playing 8ball. This one guy is kicking these other guys pretty good for two bucks a game and he is rubbing it in on these guys. You can tell he picks them regular. Now mind you none of these guys can play at all. Anyway they all quit him and he asks me to play.
I say "no, ten dollars a game is too much for me"
He says, "we were only playing for five dollars".
"Ok, What the hell I'll try a couple" and I racked the balls and grab one of those slip on tip cues off the wall. I'm a lefthanded pool player. I beat the guy out of $15 real fast and his buddys are loving it. They are now sticking it to him when he says he is quitting.
I told him that I felt real bad about beating him and I would give him a chance to get his money back by playing him lefthanded for $10 a game. I was making a joke but he don't get it and says OK. He is the only one in the tavern that isn't in on the joke. I beat him out of $30 more dollars and he left just fumming under the collar and he still don't get it. When the door shut behind him the whole place started laughing and slapping me on the back. I took the money told the barkeep to buy everbody beer till it was gone. We had a great day, it was some fun
Sorry that story just popped out.

02-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Great story Cheese...makes me wish I was a southpaw, I bet you could do the same thing successfully about 50% of the time today. My girlfriend is a lefty and it amazes me how often I forget until she needs a bridge for shot that a righty wouldn't need one for...
I'll have to remember this next time I here, "I'll even shoot left handed..."

Tim ~~must learn to shoot lefty~~