PDA

View Full Version : Bill's New rules

nAz
11-03-2006, 11:38 PM
lol you gotta love em the man is just right on the mark here.

And finally, New Rule: America must stop bragging that it's the greatest country on earth and start acting like it. Now, I know I know this is uncomfortable for the faith-over-facts crowd, but the greatness of a country can, to a large degree, be measured. Here are some numbers: Infant mortality rate, America ranks 48th in the world; overall health, 72nd; freedom of the press, 44; literacy, 55th. Do you realize there are 12-year-old kids in this country who can't spell the name of the teacher they're having sex with?

Now, America, I will admit, has done many great things: making the New World democratic comes to mind, the Marshall Plan, curing polio, beating Hitler, the deep-fried Twinkie. But what have we done for us lately? We're not the freest country. That would be Holland, where you can smoke hash in church, and Janet Jackson's nipple is on their flag.

And, sadly, we're no longer a country that can get things done, either. Not big things, like building a tunnel under Boston or running a war with competence. We had six years to fix the voting machines. Couldn't get that done. The FBI is just now getting email!

Prop 87 out here in California is about lessening our dependence on oil by using alternative fuels, and Bill Clinton comes on at the end of the ad and says, "If Brazil can do it, America can, too." Excuse me, since when did America have to buck itself up by saying we could catch up to Brazil?! We invented the airplane and the lightbulb. They invented the bikini wax, and now they're ahead?!

In most of the industrialized world, nearly everyone has health care. And hardly anyone doubts evolution. And, yes, having to live amid so many superstitious dimwits is also something that affects quality of life. It's why America isn't going to be the country that gets the inevitable patents in stem cell cures, because Jesus thinks it's too close to cloning!

Oh, and did I mention we owe China a trillion dollars? We owe everybody money. America is a debtor nation to Mexico! We're not on a bridge to the 21st century. We're on a bus to Atlantic City with a roll of quarters.

WHITMAN: Take those bring those quarters to Atlantic City, yes.

MAHER: And this is why it bugs me that so many people talk like it's 1955 and we're still number one in everything. We're not. And I take no glee in saying this, because I love my country, and I wish we were. But when you're number 55 in this category and number 92 in that one, you look a little silly waving the big foam "Number One" finger.

As long as we believe being the greatest country in the world is a birthright, we'll keep coasting on the achievements of earlier generations and we'll keep losing the moral high ground. Because we may not be the biggest or the healthiest or the best educated. But we always did have one thing no other place did. We knew soccer was bulls***.

And...and we also had a little thing called the Bill of Rights. A great nation doesn't torture people or make them disappear without a trial. Bush keeps saying the terrorists hate us for our freedom. And he's working damn hard to see that pretty soon that won't be a problem.

moblsv
11-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Yes, the complacency of America will be its downfall. We can assert our claim to high-ground and decay or we can re-affirm our commitment to strive for improvement and advance.

Gayle in MD
11-04-2006, 08:14 AM
He's great, isn't he? Wouldn't it be fantastic, if our values as a nation were all about solving our own problems, with American Can-do, rather than using force to insure that we can get what we need from other countries, and instead of petty BS like who's gay, who screwed whom, who can marry whom, who prays where, it's sickening. When buzz phrases like, "Monday morning quarterbacking" are substituted to dilute the value of assessing mistakes, and "Cut and Run" and "flip flop" for changing course when we're heading in the wrong direction, and people think they're personal religious philosophies must be validated by legally enforcing them on everyone else, it makes you wonder, why can't people mind their own business, and get on with solving America's problems within our own borders, using our own resources, and our own knowledge, and secure the future, for our own people? We're lacking integrity, determination, honor and pluck. Instead we're being burried in BS Buzz words, greed, corruption, and a fascist class war. What a waste!

Gayle in Md.

moblsv
11-04-2006, 10:34 AM
how to respond to Repug talking point

http://www.youtube.com/v/fyVBVWKAnE8

Drop1
11-04-2006, 12:05 PM
How long,how long Lord,have I been saying the exact same thing. And its not about Iraq,or being a Democrat,or a Republican,its about National ego dragging us down...so now we are going to play catch up because the best,and the brightest want nothing to do with politics.

Fran Crimi
11-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Ever see that show House Hunters International? Have you seen the inside of some of those houses and apartments in Europe that people are paying through the roof for? Yuck. I imagine those are considered the nicer places too, since they're being featured. The rooms are like dirty closets and the people are all smiles. "Yes, this is nice. This would work." For how much? 600,000 Euros? They're kidding, right?

This is still the greatest place in the world to live.

Fran

Drop1
11-04-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't think there is a greatest place to live,but I'm moving back to the States.

nAz
11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I never lived anywhere else so I can't say for sure that this is the greatest place to live, however everywhere I ever visited makes me appreciate the US.

I'm only thirty something but I kinda see that the US does not have that can do attitude that it had when I was a kid. I'm not sure if I feel that way because of our current administration and all the corruption and incompetence we all see coming from most of our elected leaders, it sure does not inspire any confidence in me. or maybe it's the rise of other countries who seem to be investing in their own future while we seem to bog ourselves down with huge debts.

Chopstick
11-06-2006, 05:01 AM
There are good reasons why the generation before us is called the Greatest Generation. Now days people just sit around and watch TV or play Nintendo. Nobody gets up and builds anything anymore. They all complain a lot but nobody does anything.

Chopstick
11-06-2006, 05:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> We're not the freest country. That would be Holland, where you can smoke hash in church, and Janet Jackson's nipple is on their flag.
<hr /></blockquote>

Q, is this true? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fran Crimi
11-06-2006, 08:30 AM
What you say may be true. I don't know, but I think the things we notice are a function of our age. We notice different things at different stages in our lives. What's important to us changes as we change.

Fran