PDA

View Full Version : $1000 Vs $2000 cue

mantis
11-05-2006, 03:09 PM
How much of a difference is there in playability between a $1000 cue and a $2000 cue. I know a $125 cue vs a $250 cue may give you twice as much playability, but can there really be that much difference above the level of a $1000 cue, or is it mainly just asthetics after that. I have had people show me $500 cues with all the money spent towards the playability of the cue, and none towards design that they say will play as well as any other cue. I would think that someone like Johnny Archer would be able to win just as many tournaments with a $1000 cue as a $2000 cue. Then again , I wouldn't be asking this question if I really new that answer. Any insight appreciated.

maddogvinnie
11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
None, zero, all that money piles up on the butt, in Ivory inlays which actually weakens the cue. The most important thing on your cue is your tip, like a tailsman pig skin M, then a high tech soft thin wall ferrule. Then a AAA canadian hard rock maple shaft with a pro taper at 11.5mm which gives you maximum English and minimum deflection and after that, the rest means nothing. The joint means nothing an only accouts for 4% of the performance. Plastic, Stainless steel, it does not matter. You could put a Z shaft on the end of a Kmart broom handle and it would play lights out.

So if you got it and want to flaunt it with fancy things to impress people, why not, welcome to American. That is why we drive fancy cars and take out fancy young hot blonds which are equally expensive to maintain, status.

nAz
11-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I have to agree with maddogvinnie the major difference is aesthetic, I have not played with many expensive cues but the ones that I have played with did not play much better and in some cases not batter then a $700 cues. shoot I have seen some pro players kick arse with $40 cues /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
For me if it's got a good balance and a good tip it should do just fine.

maddogvinnie
11-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Exactly naz, its the indian, not the arrow. Give Efren a $10 house cue and give any one in the audience a mouth $3000 cue and Efren runs out rack after rack. Does driving a $75,000 Bmi make you a driver, no it just makes you a rich uppie behind the wheel Some taco bender in a $500 red pick up truck could drive circles around you. He learned to really drive running from the federalies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mantis
11-05-2006, 09:01 PM
So how much should I expect to spend to get a cue with the best playability with no money spent on design?

maddogvinnie
11-05-2006, 09:51 PM
$135 for a nice players or Stealth. Upgrade from there runs $200 to $250, you can get a nice joss for that. They are the low end plain jains but they play great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

nAz
11-05-2006, 10:48 PM
you can get a good plain preditor for around $300 or less.

Cane
11-06-2006, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote maddogvinnie:</font><hr> None, zero, all that money piles up on the butt <hr /></blockquote>

I absolutely agree. I have several cues from one maker, everything from a plain jane sneaky pete to a megabucks cue that I take to tournaments. The sneaky pete and the big bucks cue hit the same. The only difference is intricate cuts of Turquoise, Silver and exotic woods in the butt section. Playability is the same in all the cues I own by this maker.

Later,
Bob

Cornerman
11-06-2006, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> How much of a difference is there in playability between a $1000 cue and a $2000 cue.<hr /></blockquote> As others have said, zero.

[ QUOTE ]
I know a $125 cue vs a $250 cue may give you twice as much playability, <hr /></blockquote> I doubt it.

Fred

Cornerman
11-06-2006, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote maddogvinnie:</font><hr> Exactly naz, its the indian, not the arrow. Give Efren a $10 house cue and give any one in the audience a mouth $3000 cue and Efren runs out rack after rack. <hr /></blockquote>True to a point. But, if Efren was playing Efren, which one would you bet on? I think the Efren with a cue that he's comfortable with eeks out the Efren with the $10 house cue. And unfortunately or fortunately, in today's world, you're going to spend more than $10.

I think today, if any kind quality construction and quality materials is a must, $150 has become about the minimum for a new cue. There are some great hitting cues for less, but IMO, it's a hit or miss, so to speak.

Nobody needs to spend over $200 if all they're looking for is a cue with quality. You'll need to spend a little more (~$400) if you want to get something taylor-made. And if you're looking for a specific cuemaker, you're going to be limitied by their minimum price list. That's the market of anything.

Fred

hondo
11-06-2006, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> So how much should I expect to spend to get a cue with the best playability with no money spent on design? <hr /></blockquote>

I have cues ranging from $100 ( Action SP) to $2400 (Paul
Mottey).The cues I have in the $700 to $1400 range ( Kikel,
Scruggs, Olney) are my best hitting cues. I haven't
found anything under $700 that hits as good as these 3.
Shurtz, Dale Perry &amp; Diviney come close.
OTOH, my top 3 play better to me than my high dollar
cues- Mottey &amp; Bender.

cueball1950
11-06-2006, 02:24 PM
I have personally seen Jose Parice playing at the Joss Tournament at Turning Stone Casin. Where he was using what he described as a $14.00 cue with decals. After looking at the cue myself i can tell you that he did not lie. Oh, by the way...he finished 2nd to Dennis Hatch i believe......mike

maddogvinnie
11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> I have personally seen Jose Parice playing at the Joss Tournament at Turning Stone Casin. Where he was using what he described as a $14.00 cue with decals. After looking at the cue myself i can tell you that he did not lie. Oh, by the way...he finished 2nd to Dennis Hatch i believe......mike <hr /></blockquote>

Mad dog rest his case and send it to the jury, its the injun behind da bow, not da arrow.

mad dog gives it to ya straight, new joyzee style. Tells it like it is. Mad dog talks da talk, and walks da walk.

cjt08046
11-07-2006, 02:44 PM
I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions. They're on-target. The best thing you can do, no matter what your price range, is play with the cue before you plunk down your hard-earned money. The dealer won't let you chalk up, but you can still hit different shots with different stroke speeds. If it feels good, you'll most likely be happy with it in the event that you purchase it.

mantis
11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I already have a decent "Players" cue, but had been thinking of upgrading. I am really only concerned with the playability of the cue though. If this cue is going to hit and play as well as any other (or fairly close), I really don't feel the need to buy a new one. Maybe just purchase a better tip for this one. I would probably be better off spending the money on lessons anyways!!

DickLeonard
11-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Cane nice to see your back posting. I hope everythings alright now.####

wayne crimi
11-14-2006, 02:59 PM
I doubt there's much difference between a $1000 cue and a $2000 other than inlays etc... but I think most of the best hitting and best balanced cues I have played with were more than a couple hundred dollars. Then again I could be wrong because my high run came on my lunch hour one day playing with a slightly warped house cue with a messed up tip. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sygfrid
11-27-2006, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> So how much should I expect to spend to get a cue with the best playability with no money spent on design? <hr /></blockquote>

Though you may not have to spend much for the design of a plain jane, you have to invest a little more for the quality of the wood used. Reputable custom cue makers will select the best wood they can find, and choosing high quality wood is not an easy task.

Though it's true that it's the shaft that has contact with the ball, the butt also plays a big part of the entire process. The balance of the cue lies on the butt which helps you have a level pendulum stroke. The solid "feel" or "feedback" from the tip travels from the shaft to the butt and onto your fingers and, eventually, to your brain (with good feedback, you can easily learn how strong/soft you should hit the ball for position with the cue you're using). If I were to compare it with a car, you can easily master &amp; maneuver a car with great "handling" (suspension) than that which doesn't.

IMO, plain janes deliver the best playability. The more you "add" to a cue, the more "feel" is sacrificed. Try playing a 1pc house cue vs a 2pc cue, you'll instantly notice that 1pc cues have more feel than the 2pc ones.

I suggest you visit this custom cue maker who is known for great playability as being at the top of their list: Viattorre (http://www.viattorre.com)

I've recently gotten from them my custom plain jane, a solid purple heart wood-to-wood cue. I invested less than $500 for it. The playability (hit, feel, etc.) of the cue is truly fantastic. I've tried preds, mcdermotts, &amp; vikings, but i like this one the most /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif