PDA

View Full Version : Earl S

Bobbyrx
11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
For the few of us who were holding on, its now official, after what has gone on in Manila, Earl Strickland has left the building........

reggie182
11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
He's definitely "jumped the couch"

TCIndepMo
11-08-2006, 11:52 PM
OK, I'll bite. What happened?

Rich R.
11-09-2006, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TCIndepMo:</font><hr> OK, I'll bite. What happened? <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.insidepoolmag.com/billiard-tour-news/more-billiard-drama-at-world-pool-championship/content/view/4028/76/

http://www.insidepoolmag.com/billiard-tour-news/earl-apologizes-for-'unacceptable'-behaviour/content/view/4029/76/

nAz
11-09-2006, 08:31 AM
hmmm doesn't read like he has been thrown out... yet.
damn all that talent..

Rich R.
11-09-2006, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> hmmm doesn't read like he has been thrown out... yet.
damn all that talent.. <hr /></blockquote>
He wasn't thown out, but got a stern warning.
Earl, and all of the other Americans, were eventually eliminated. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r
11-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I wonder how much longer these TD's are going to deal with Earl. It seems every time something happens, someone "talks" with him, he says sorry, and then does "something" again at the next tournament. His behaviour is a shame. He should take some time off from pool and settle down a bit.

eg8r

sheesha
11-10-2006, 11:48 AM
For all of you that love to hate Earl or just decide to judge people based on hearsay this is for you.I spoke with Earl on his return trip from Manilla and what was bothering him so much was the fact players were throwing matches.All of us that truly know Earl knows how that kind of thing really gets him going to be around what I call cheating/dumping matches.Sorry guys this one Im on Earls side When the atmosphere is polluted its time to go.Earl represented his country with pride and there is no shame in not wanting to be around that .

sheesha
11-10-2006, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I wonder how much longer these TD's are going to deal with Earl. It seems every time something happens, someone "talks" with him, he says sorry, and then does "something" again at the next tournament. His behaviour is a shame. He should take some time off from pool and settle down a bit.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>What gets Earl upset is players dumping matches,I hear it was done alot in the Manilla WPA and heard it from a good source and hey I think thats called cheating oh but Earl threw his cue on the floor hmmmm.

bsmutz
11-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Was there anyone else throwing hissy fits besides Earl? Please enlighten us as to why Earl is the only one who seems to get so upset that he has to be a jerk. Did you feel compelled to throw stuff around and threaten to hit someone because of the dumping? As we all know, there are different ways of handling situations that bother us. Earl seems to pick the one that makes him stand out from the rest. Perhaps as his buddy, you could tell him how proud we all are to have him as one of our country's ambassadors.

Bobbyrx
11-10-2006, 03:57 PM
What about his match against Nick Vandenberg in the IPT that was televised a couple of weeks ago. He was absolutely nuts...and for some reason I pull for the guy because he's so great when he's on....but I wouldn't have blamed Vandenberg if he had slugged him

Rich R.
11-10-2006, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr> For all of you that love to hate Earl or just decide to judge people based on hearsay this is for you.I spoke with Earl on his return trip from Manilla and what was bothering him so much was the fact players were throwing matches.All of us that truly know Earl knows how that kind of thing really gets him going to be around what I call cheating/dumping matches.Sorry guys this one Im on Earls side When the atmosphere is polluted its time to go.Earl represented his country with pride and there is no shame in not wanting to be around that . <hr /></blockquote>
I wasn't in Manilla, so I can't say what went on there. However, I have to believe, if dumping was as common as you say, it would affect more players than Earl and other players would be complaining too.

I have seen Earl play in enough tournaments to know that Earl always finds a problem with the other players, the fans or the equipment, when others don't seem to have the same problems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If Earl had a problem, he should have registered his complaint, along with proof, with the proper officials.

His actions at the table are disrespectful to his opponents, as well as the game, and can easily be considered unsportsmanlike. TD's should deal with Earl and stop giving him more leeway than they would any other player.

sheesha
11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Would you like a list of the players that dumped their match or were involved in adumping in Manilla?I could provide you with this.The american players know this .Why do you think the IPT tour stopped posting the draws until last minute.It was well known in Manilla and instead of the media focusing on that they ran with the Earl stories.Please he wears his emotions on his sleeve and is reacting to what is Cheating toall the players that are victims,the spectators and the fans of the sport.You will see a come back in Earl.Whats wrong with dancing when you win in a team sport my God it was USA vs Europe .I believe winning for your team and showing your spirit is the thing to do thats not unsportmanship its called being happy for the USA team.

sheesha
11-10-2006, 07:36 PM
There is a reason that the Americans had their worst finish in the history of the WPC,they were not involved with the dumping of matches and other players fell victim to this,that unsportsmanship behavior,and no-one is suppose to react or show their emotions,and everyone seem to say Earl is getting worse,well so is the cheating and dumping of matches.The American fans need to support the American players come on When an American is playing a foreign player they out of respect should support that American player just out of respect.

mantis
11-10-2006, 09:31 PM
What's wrong with dancing when you win. Well, first of all, I would not do it before I actually won, which he did. Second, it looked ridiculous and disrespectful to the other players, like he was rubbing it in their face. I considered it a bush league low class manuver. The usual response is raise the cue in victory AFTER the last shot, and then shake hands. Save the stupid looking dance moves for parties after that are off camera.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 05:51 AM
Hey I say Dance Earl Dance

sheesha
11-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Its unsportsmanship to thro a match or whats called dumping.Focus on the cheaters of the game.They are cheating you,the fans ,the sponsors and the sport.
Dance Earl Dance

sheesha
11-11-2006, 05:57 AM
I will let Earl know how proud we are thank you for saying that.
Focus on the ones that cheat you,the fans and the sport.Please your comment is a what the cheaters of the sport rely on.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 06:02 AM
Could you please provide me the rulebook that says dancing is not allowed and we must raise our cue.Please come on you point fingers regardless.Hey but its ok to cheat yeh right give me a break.
Earl looks great when he dances for his team,his sport and his country.Dance Earl Dance.Show your delight for your American team and your country.

Rich R.
11-11-2006, 06:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr> Would you like a list of the players that dumped their match or were involved in adumping in Manilla?I could provide you with this.<hr /></blockquote>
Yes, I would like this list. Also submit this list to the tournament organizers. Of course, I expect we will receive proof of dumping, along with the list.
Just because a player loses a match, that you think he should win, doesn't mean he dumped.

Deeman3
11-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Rule 23.1 subset 12 says, "Dancing is strickly forbidden during tournament play, specifically "Disco" type dancing. Any outward display of moves learned from an accredited dance company are excluded, unless accompained by appropriate music." JK

Are you seriouly defending bad behaviour by Earl by citing possible tanked matches by other players? I know Earl, perhaps much better than you, meaning he has beated my head in many times on the table. I supported him for many years when he was starting this type of sharking. Yes, the way Earl now acts can be easily seen as sharking and it has an impact on his opponents who just want to play the game and compete in fair circumstances. If others in the arena are behaving badly, it does not help Earl's case nor the sport to act badly in return. All tournament directors I know will curb bad fan behaviour if it is pointed out to them in a reasonable fashion.

I really, really like Earl and have known him since he was about 15 years old. He is and was one of the most natural tallents this game has produced. If he focused on HIS game and left the other stuff out, he could still be a contender in many matches. He has had a few difficult challenges in the past few years. Many do. He would be much better served to act the champion he is and not lower himself to distracting his opponents and the crowds because of his frustration over small things he sees as being against him.

DeeMan

mantis
11-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Sheesha,
I wonder why you continue to say tha we condone others cheating, but only pick on Earl. No one here has said that the "dumping" of matches or others cheating is ok, just simplby that Earl's behaviour regardless of the circumstances is not. Please stop reflecting the issue away from EARL. Whether or not the other stuff occurs is another debate, the current discussion is Earl's behaviour in response to it, and when things simply are not going his way. His behaviour represents himself and his country, should be kept in check. If he wears his emotions on his sleeves, so be it (although it looks childish), but at least keep those emptions appearing professional.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Come on please this rule you post is a stupid thing to post.And no you dont know Earl better than I do.I will look at your post info and ask him today if he knows you and let him see your comments that you posted.People always act like they know Earl better than anybody but when I ask him he never knows who you are.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 07:45 AM
will give you names of 2 players per posting that dumped matches at the World Champships
1}Francisco Bustamante
2}Steve Davis

dg-in-centralpa
11-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Since you know Earl, ask him why he sharked his American opponents at the US open last year and this year. I was at both and saw his performance. What about his TV match last year with Ralf Souquet? People cheered as much for Earl as Ralf. Earl complained because Ralf didn't shoot as fast as Earl thought he should. I was not in Manila so I won't comment on what happened there. But I do know about the Open and other tournaments. If Earl starts losing, he starts his tirades whether it's a US player or foreign. By the way, what's your connection with Earl? Just curious.

DG

sheesha
11-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Please describe how he sharked his opponents at the US Open last year and I will ask him.
As far as the match with Ralph Earl did not shark Ralph ask Ralph .Earl sharked himself.
You know you can sit there and judge but why are you not saying something about the dumping of matches?Could it be a far crime of what Earl has ever done.And yes I do know Earl very well and the reasons as why he gets so upset .The problems that are wrong in the sport that no-one seems to address that keeps being hushed and swept under the rug.I know that the guys that have spent their entire lives dedicated to this sport deserve respect and quit turning on the ones that stand up for themselves its their way of earning their living and their life of dedication that gives this sport any chance at all.Focus on the CHEATERS that dump you and me .I will no longer sit back and allow people to judge ones that that do not know.Quit praising the ones that make this sport a joke or that determine in advance the outcome of a match.Someone that believes in what they do become frustrated when certain events prevail that prevent the talent to come to surface.When you read over and over surprise outcome it makes you wonder is it really a surprise or was it planned that way.Realization is tough but the truth of it all will prevail.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I am not just defending Earl but all the players that have dedicated their entire lives to this sport.The Americans are not getting the respect they deserve and even we as Americans make it easy on the foreign players while they are in our country playing fellow americans.I have been to many tournaments in over a 15 year time span and have seen this myself and the way the American fans pull for foreign players to win against Americans .Do you believe it happens in the countries that the Americans play in? NO way.I am saying show the American players respect All of them.I keep reading about poor Reyes and the money owed to him by KT.Efren is not poor and there were many players that spent just as much money at that event as Efren and they havent been paid.My God when Earl won the million dollars it took 2 years for him to be paid his money.Efren has earned more money in the last 2 years than anyone.I am concerned for the ones that depend on that event paying them to cover their expenses and to pay their bills with what they earned there.Look all the players deserve respect and when Americans play in the USA against a foreign player who do you root for?Is there any question?????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

mantis
11-11-2006, 09:42 AM
I am guessing that Sheesha is Earl's wife. I still do not understand how this turned into a thread that continues to discuss the antics of other players and match dumping when the title of the thread is EARL. It is not about other cheaters or dumped matches, or who we root for. It is about EARL's behaviour, and is stemmed from his recent reported antics at the world championships. Antics that should have him disqualified regardless of the antics of others or whether or not he is an american. Please stop basing your arguments on the cheating done by others and deflecting the conversation to others when the thread is about Earl. I do not know him. All I know is what I have seen on tv. I respect his talent, but have never been fond of his behaviour.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 09:51 AM
This is not hearsay because I think certain players should win Please the players that are not involved with it are still aware of whats going on they choose however not to be involved.Its real easy to pretend that this isnt happening but of course you are not in the environment to know the truth of the behind the scene issues.And the list of players and the matches that were dumped are being put together and will be presented to the tournament organizers.As I mentioned the IPT tour was so aware of this that the draws had to be delayed as much as possible to try to prevent the planning of this and to put a stop to it as much as possible.But only so much you can do as long as its being allowed.

dg-in-centralpa
11-11-2006, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr> Look all the players deserve respect and when Americans play in the USA against a foreign player who do you root for?Is there any question?????????????????????????????????????????? ??????? <hr /></blockquote>

I happen to root for both as I don't have any clear favorite in the men's side. If a foreign opponent plays well, makes good shots, I applaud him. Same with US players. I don't know about dumping games. I can't prove it and neither can you. If you can, it's in your best interest to bring to the attention of the people in charge. I feel for all IPT players who are owed money, not just Efren. When Earl is winning a match, he is wonderful to the crowd and his fans. If he's losing, he is the opposite. Listen, I don't like losing a match either, but somebody wins and somebody loses. Plain and simple. Last year a lot of money was bet on Earl against Ralf. Did Earl dump? He looked like an amateur. Was he paid to dump so the bookie wouldn't take a beating? Dumping has been going on for many years. Have Earl run his own tournament, for US players only. Will dumping happen, maybe. But he'll have control over it.

DG

sheesha
11-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Once again someone coming out of their mouth sideways.No I am not Earl wife.Earl is not married .I came on board to defend Earl and to try to let you and others know that Earl does not go to events to get upset .He is there as any other player to win.I am tired of people speaking of what they do not know or whom they know.I will comment on any thread that I feel that needs to be addresssed.I do not allow someone to state I am not to reply when I feel that issues that are being focused on are not the issue at all.People like you focus and comment and judge people when they do not know the facts at all.However since you have stated what you have.I will assume you know of what I speak of is the truth or you would not state that. I should let others know what bothers not just Earl but the other players.Are you afraid that Earl may have a good reason for getting upset?I simply feel that people should know of what is going on behind the scenes and what the aaaaaaamerican players are dealing with.You stated the title is about Earl it did not state that only post of how horrible you think Earl is should be posted.Get a life dude.

GulfportDoc
11-11-2006, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr> There is a reason that the Americans had their worst finish in the history of the WPC,they were not involved with the dumping of matches and other players fell victim to this, ... well so is the cheating and dumping of matches. <hr /></blockquote>
Sheesha-- to hear that Phillipino or Oriental players may be dumping or cheating does not surprise me. Assuming that's true, how would you suppose that what those players did could have affected the outcome of any other player's matches? Do you think that the illegal behavior of some, along with anti-American bias, led to an emotional disadvantage to our players?

Doc

sheesha
11-11-2006, 10:17 AM
From one real estate broker to another.Earl has never dumped a match in his life.And as far as money bets are concerned thats not anyones problem but the ones placing bets.These guys are playing their hearts out and yes a list of the matches that were dumped in Manilla are being compiled and will be sent to the tournament organizers.The match that you speak of was not last year but 6 years ago when he played Ralph in the finals in Vegas.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Yes,and I have spoken to some of the players .They simply did not feel welcomed at this event by the spectators.When fans are booing and yelling miss,miss while a player is shooting it should not be up to the players to have them thrown out.These players should be protected by the tournament officials and this not to be tolerated.Poor Jeremy Jones was playing and in mid stroke had to endure yells of miss,miss.This is a sport of concentration and skill its a mental game and the American players were treated unfairly.The dumping of matches do predict the outcome of the player advancing.The foreign players have brought this to the highest level ever than before and it got worse on the IPT Tour.

mantis
11-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Sheesha still has not responded to whether or not she is Earl's wife.

Dagwood
11-11-2006, 10:34 AM
You still haven't adressed the issue of earl's behavior, which has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, is the TOPIC of this thread. I don't condone any of the cheating, dumping or sharking of players. But whatever the other players are doing, it's Earl's RESPONSIBILITY to act as a professional, and represent our country with class and dignity. I've met Earl just once, so I don't have the personal experience around him that many other people, to include yourself have. However, just in the one instance that I got to see him play, he showed a total lack of respect to everyone around him by his mannerisms around the table, and was constantly blaming the equipment on his poor play. Everyone had to play on the same equipment, and no one else was complaining. Matter of fact, I played in that tournament, and the equipment was flawless.

As far as Earl wearing his emotions on his sleeve...I've been in the military for the past 8 years, and am currently deployed. One of my responsibilities is to act as a representative of our country. As a professional playing abroad, he holds the same responsibility. If he has a problem with something that is going on then he should be gracefull in victory or defeat, and bring the matter up to the appropriate authorities. Outside of the public limelight, he can rant, rave, scream and throw things to his hearts desire.

As much as I love to watch great pool played, and Earl does play great pool, especially when he's in stroke, I would prefer not to see him play if he's going to continue to act as he does. It does nothing but discredit him, and when he's competing for his country, it discredits his country as well.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 10:35 AM
No,I am not earls wife.He is not married.

mantis
11-11-2006, 10:58 AM
What is you relationship to him that allows youto know him so well?

sheesha
11-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Actually I know a great deal of the players very well besides Earl Johnny Archer,Kim,Nick,Rempe and have for sometime even back to the Jackie Muller days.

dg-in-centralpa
11-11-2006, 01:41 PM
The match I'm speaking of is from last year's Open. Earl and Ralf were on the center table being broadcast on the internet. Earl played like an amateur, didn't watch what was happening, and gave up ball in hand. This is not the actions of a professional. From one real estate broker to another, we learn to read people's actions/reactions, their thoughts and body language. Earl had given up in that match last year when he was down 4-2.After that match, Janet Shimel gave him a pep talk. This year he was at the center table holding his head and shielding his face from the cameras. Why was this? I heard rumors, but I would like to hear it from Earl so I know what is true and what isn't. Not everyone plays as fast, or breaks like he does. Is that any reason to come down on someone? Remember the soft break from Corey Duel? It was a legal break. Earl likes to wear a glove on his right hand, and wear sunglasses to play. What if someone jumps on him about that? What's fair is fair. If the US players are having so much trouble playing over seas, then why do they keep going? The money isn't that great after expenses.

DG

IA8baller
11-11-2006, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr>

As much as I love to watch great pool played, and Earl does play great pool, especially when he's in stroke, I would prefer not to see him play if he's going to continue to act as he does. It does nothing but discredit him, and when he's competing for his country, it discredits his country as well. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red">EXACTLY!! </font color>

Bobbyrx
11-11-2006, 04:44 PM
What about the match with Vandenberg in the IPT. There is just no excuse.

Brian in VA
11-11-2006, 07:21 PM
sheesha,
You have stated that you know Earl well and he has never dumped a match in his life. I watched him do just that to a player at the US Open just two months ago. He absolutely gave up, mailed it in and was playing with no interest in anything but finishing quickly. It was a pathetic display from a 9 times World Champion, 4 time US Open champion and is so far below someone of his level that I was appalled.

I've been a big fan of Earl for over 20 years. His skills are unparalleled with a cue stick in his hands but his behavior has become that of a 12 year old. If I were to behave in such an unprofessional manner at my job, I would expect to be fired. The reason he hasn't been is because he still sells tickets. I have made the decision that I won't watch his matches anymore because I get too upset and I'm not going to continue to enable his ridiculous actions.

If you're that close to him, please tell him he's disappointing his die hard fans at this point and he needs to stop. And there is no excuse for his behavior. None. He chooses to behave that way and he can choose not to but it's nobody else's fault but his own.

Best to you and Earl,
Brian in VA

sheesha
11-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I have expressed all of the replies here to Earl.And first and foremost Earl and Ralph are friends and respect each other greatly.What most people dont know or understand is that Earl has been in alot of pain in the last couple of years and has had several surgeries .The doctors have him on medication to control the pain and yes the side effects are mood swings and depression.I know that Earl has not let this be known as I have seen the depression kick in even more so and this is what I am here for I am speaking with his doctors to change the medication because it has effected him moreso in the last few years and has caused depression.So you see if hes acting that way it could be a possible reaction or side effect.But Earl wants to get back on his game and start winning again.I will stand by his side to see this World Champion comes back to life.And for those of you that love the way he shoots he will be back.But I also want people to know that Earl wants the fans of this sport to treat people with respect and not pull out loud against a player because you have money on the game.

sheesha
11-11-2006, 08:06 PM
You seem to be the only one that gets the whole picture.Thank you for understanding.

Rich R.
11-12-2006, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr> will give you names of 2 players per posting that dumped matches at the World Champships
1}Francisco Bustamante
2}Steve Davis <hr /></blockquote>
I still don't see any proof.
You can name players you believe dumped matches, but, without proof, it doesn't mean a thing.

I won't even ask the question of why two of the top players in the world, with good chances to win, would dump matches.

I guess the bottom line is, how does all of this justify Earl's behavior?
It doesn't.

Fran Crimi
11-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Sheesha, I used to know a lot about Earl. Ask him about his friend Dean who died. He was my boyfriend. There is one thing that Dean swore by when it came to Earl and that was his integrity. Earl doesn't dump and Earl doesn't cheat and it makes him crazy when others do. You and I both know that dumping and cheating go hand-in-hand with men's pool. It's not just other countries. It's everywhere, and it's been going on since forever and it will continue to go on until someone with enough power can stop it.

On the other side of the coin, Earl's acting out isn't just in the last few years. He has a history of blowing up in public. Even if he was right every single time, (and he wasn't,) it doesn't do any good for the sport or for our country. His anger and his protests must happen behind the scenes, not in front of the crowd. The crowd doesn't understand. They only want to see good pool, which is what they're entitled to when they step into those stands.

Things have gotten to a point, unfortunately, where the crowd has been conditioned to react to Earl's every move. Plus, Earl has become more sensitive to the crowd's reactions. It's become a giant snowball rolling down a mountain and it's doomed to keep getting bigger and bigger. Earl is the only one who can turn this around. He will have to remain silent while the crowd carries on. Not an easy thing to do but he'll have to do it if he wants to turn this around. It would be nice to have the help of the referees to keep the crowds quiet. It's unfortunate, but you can't always count on the refs to do their job, so it's going to have to come mostly from Earl. I do think that the refs may be more sympathetic towards Earl if he shows more cooperation with them.

Fran

pooltchr
11-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure I totally agree with your point about the ref's keeping the crowds quiet. I'm not even sure why they should. What's wrong with the crowd getting involved in the match. With the exception of golf (and I'm not sure why that is), most sports allow the fans to be vocal during competition. Have you ever noticed what goes on at a Duke basketball game when the opponents are shooting free throws? Not only are they loud, they are waving anything they can behind the backboard in an effort to "shark" the shooter. How about the "dog pound" at a Browns game? Why is it that pool players and golfers can only perform in dead silence? Every Thursday night, I have to perform in the midst of rowdy customers, drunks at the bar, and a blaring juke box when I play league. Shouldn't the best players in our game be able to focus on the table and tune out the outside distractions?

I agree that Earl is a great player. I enjoy watching him when he is on top of his game. But someone with his skill should be able to handle the distractions without going balistic.
Steve

Fran Crimi
11-12-2006, 10:33 AM
You're not really trying to compare football with pool or golf are you?

As for your Thursday night league, I'm pretty sure most leagues are like that. It's a great social environment for pool and there's nothing wrong with it. There's even some very tough competing that goes on in that type of environment.

Does that mean that pro tournaments should be played that way with all that noise just because 'they can?' Now that's just plain silly.

How about we change Broadway to interactive play-watching where the audience can yell and scream at the actors while they're performing? The actors are professionals. They should be able to handle it.

And last but not least: The refs jobs are to follow the rules. They are not there to create new rules.

Fran

pooltchr
11-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Fran,
Although I have never had the opportunity to check it out personally, I was under the impression that the pro's do compete under similar circumstances at the Masconi Cup. Have I been mis-informed?
Steve

Snapshot9
11-13-2006, 06:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Fran,
Although I have never had the opportunity to check it out personally, I was under the impression that the pro's do compete under similar circumstances at the Masconi Cup. Have I been mis-informed?
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve ... Being a certified instructor, mispelling Mosconi's name is a cardinal sin for a Poolplayer .... lol

pooltchr
11-13-2006, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Fran,

Steve ... Being a certified instructor, mispelling Mosconi's name is a cardinal sin for a Poolplayer .... lol <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry. My fingers and my brain don't always communicate real well! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Steve

Fran Crimi
11-13-2006, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Fran,

Then you should probably check it out personally first and then let us know how it is.

Look, I know what you're trying to do here. You're trying to be slick and prove that the pros do play with lots of noise. I can name a hundred times they played with lots of noise. Charity events, special invitationals and so-on. It happens a lot. But that's not what the pros want for their pro tours.

Fran

pooltchr
11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm not trying to be "slick" about anything. I just believe that players at that level should be proficient enough to be able to deal with distractions. I never said anything about what kind of tournaments the players want. I just think they should be able to adapt to whatever conditions exist. After all, they are the very best in their chosen field.
Steve

Fran Crimi
11-13-2006, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I'm not trying to be "slick" about anything. I just believe that players at that level should be proficient enough to be able to deal with distractions. I never said anything about what kind of tournaments the players want. I just think they should be able to adapt to whatever conditions exist. After all, they are the very best in their chosen field.

Okay, I take it back. You're not slick.

Don't you see where you're headed here? You're headed to wild west tournaments where anything goes. What are you going to tell people --- A little yelling is okay but you all don't let it get out of control? Ha! Good luck with that.

Standards have to exist and controls have to be in place. Referees need to be educated in the fine art of crowd control. All too often they are thrown out into the arena without proper guidance.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting the audience to be quiet when players are shooting. NOTHING wrong with that. In fact, most audience members prefer not to have to hear someone next to them yelling out at the players. It's disruptive all around, and the referee should be on the alert and be ready to stop it if it turns to trouble, just as the referee has the same obligation to stop a player from carrying on. It works both ways.

I don't know what standards other countries have but if any of them are lower, I sincerely hope that those in this country stick to their higher standards and not let themselves be negatively influenced.

While you're at it, maybe you can figure out why Tiger Woods gets visibly upset when a fan distracts him. He's a pro and according to you, it shouldn't bother him, right?

Fran

wayne crimi
11-13-2006, 03:59 PM
With all due respect, I doubt there is anyone here that doesn't respect Earl's game. Respecting him as a person is another matter. As individuals, we get to decide who deserves our respect, who doesn't, and why, NOT EARL or you. From the looks of things, most people here do not respect his behavior. It's really that simple. If he wants respect, he has to earn it.

wayne crimi
11-13-2006, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr>What most people dont know or understand is that Earl has been in a lot of pain in the last couple of years and has had several surgeries. The doctors have him on medication to control the pain and yes the side effects are mood swings and depression. I know that Earl has not let this be known as I have seen the depression kick in even more so and this is what I am here for I am speaking with his doctors to change the medication because it has effected him moreso in the last few years and has caused depression.So you see if hes acting that way it could be a possible reaction or side effect.<hr /></blockquote>

This is not surprising if true.

The last time I saw him on television, some of things he did and said made me almost certain that he was in need of professional help and probably medication.

If current medication is "part" of the problem, he needs to have that addressed immediately.

What kind of surgery did he have?

pooltchr
11-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Fran,
I don't want to see "out of control" fans disrupting tournaments. My point is simply that the pros should be able to handle some distractions without blowing up.
The only way to ensure "perfect" conditions is to close tournaments to all fans, and I don't want to see that happen. I wouldn't want Earl coming after me if I happened to sneeze at the wrong time! With crowds, there are going to be distractions...the players should be able to deal with them professionally.
Steve

mantis
11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I understand what you are saying Steve, but competitive pool in a pool atmosphere, and not a bar should be kept a gentleman's game. Respect for the players and the game should be shown when the players are shooting, especially since the spectators are so close to the action. However, I do believe that professionals should be just that, professionals. They should be professional in both game and behavior. Their is a correct and incorrect way to handle things, and Earl's has been the latter. When someone behaves in a way that you would teach your 6 year old child that it is wrong, then you know your behavior is slightly off kilter. He is behaving like a child that is a sore loser. Meds and medical attention may be required as stated by Sheesha. I hope he straightens it out one way or another though, as his behavior makes pool himself, and america look bad.

eydyen9392
11-14-2006, 09:34 PM
i'm a fil-american but i live in the phil and was able to go the wpc. from the filipinos point of view, earl comes off as a racist cause it seems that he has a lot less respect for asian players than western. just to clarify things, im not sying that he is, im just saying what most filipinos think. i know he is a great player but come on, if he did that in any pool hall here he'd probably be crippled by now. i just hope he changes his ways coz he's one of the best 9-ball players that ever lived!!!

sheesha
11-16-2006, 04:36 AM
There was also no excuse for Vandenburg to allow his family to sit behind Earl and make comments to distract Earl while he was shooting.Earl has nevered allowed anyone that ge has brought to a match disrupt a player that he was playing.Actually when players bring family and friends and they are by the players opponent they should show the most respect than anyone in the room.

sheesha
11-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Thank You.We would be a true sport if the players were surrounded by a group of people that respected them and the sport and thought the way you do.

sheesha
11-16-2006, 04:51 AM
You mentioned you played in that tournament,so basically you dont do this for a living .I see so the equiptment that is being used really does not matter to you then.That explains it this is not how you earn a living so it would not matter to you but it does to the pros.Can you imagine a pro golfer or anyone in any other sport expecting anything less than perfection?Do you believe the pro players of pool deserve less than perfection because they are just pool players?I hear and see many players commenting on the equiptment not just Earl.

sheesha
11-16-2006, 04:59 AM
This is what is so sad .People believing this way.Go to a golf tournament or tennis match and expect to see spectators doing to them what they do at pool tournaments,any and all would be thrown OUT.This is an individual sport not a team sport.Excuse me isnt concentration a part of that.Please if this is a type of behavior you do or like to see please dont attend the pro events they dont want youn there.

sheesha
11-16-2006, 05:01 AM
The Mosconi Cup is a team event.I thought that was pretty clear.

Dagwood
11-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Sheesha,

I may not play or rely on pool for a living, but does this mean I am less critical of the equipment that I play on? If anything, I'm one of the MOST critical players I know when it comes to equipment. And it wasn't just me who thought that the equipment was great...I talked to many of the pro's, to include Johnny Archer, TK from FLA, Joe Tucker, and (RIP) Larry Lisciotti. All of these players agreed that the equipment used for the tournament was top of the line and they didn't have any problems. So it's not just me who thinks that the equipment was fine, other top players thought the same.

Also, IMHO, part of being a professional is the ability to adapt to the conditions which you are forced to play in. A golfer has to adapt his/her game to the type of course they are playing on, and the weather conditions which are present, and if in a tournament, crowd movement and noise, (as small as it is during PGA tournaments). As you are SUCH good friends with Earl, you undoubtedly play golf, so you would know that these condition changes can be incredibly drastic. Why should pool players not be subject as well to condition changes. I'm in no way saying that it should be kosher for a room to have shag carpet tables with loose rails on tables that aren't level, because I believe that there should be at least a standard set by the tour runnning the event which the room has to meet, but if the pockets are a little tighter or looser, the room is a little more humid than average, if the tables are an inch higher or lower than average there shouldn't be a problem. (if I remember correctly, the last one was what Earl was complaining about). What it boils down to is that both players have to play on the exact same equipment. So unless one of the players is a hometown hero, there isn't any advantage to either one. The better shooter during that match will win.

Bobbyrx
11-16-2006, 04:25 PM
They did nothing but cheer for their player until Earl started his crap."Call your pockets louder" etc while Vandenberg was trying to shoot. If he can dish it out he ought to be able to take it.

sheesha
11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Did you attend this event?Did you sit where you heard this conversation?I was sitting right there and I heard a diffrent version.

sheesha
11-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Okay you played in one event so I guess that makes you an expert.

sheesha
11-16-2006, 07:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Sheesha,

I may not play or rely on pool for a living, but does this mean I am less critical of the equipment that I play on? If anything, I'm one of the MOST critical players I know when it comes to equipment. And it wasn't just me who thought that the equipment was great...I talked to many of the pro's, to include Johnny Archer, TK from FLA, Joe Tucker, and (RIP) Larry Lisciotti. All of these players agreed that the equipment used for the tournament was top of the line and they didn't have any problems. So it's not just me who thinks that the equipment was fine, other top players thought the same.

Also, IMHO, part of being a professional is the ability to adapt to the conditions which you are forced to play in. A golfer has to adapt his/her game to the type of course they are playing on, and the weather conditions which are present, and if in a tournament, crowd movement and noise, (as small as it is during PGA tournaments). As you are SUCH good friends with Earl, you undoubtedly play golf, so you would know that these condition changes can be incredibly drastic. Why should pool players not be subject as well to condition changes. I'm in no way saying that it should be kosher for a room to have shag carpet tables with loose rails on tables that aren't level, because I believe that there should be at least a standard set by the tour runnning the event which the room has to meet, but if the pockets are a little tighter or looser, the room is a little more humid than average, if the tables are an inch higher or lower than average there shouldn't be a problem. (if I remember correctly, the last one was what Earl was complaining about). What it boils down to is that both players have to play on the exact same equipment. So unless one of the players is a hometown hero, there isn't any advantage to either one. The better shooter during that match will win. <hr /></blockquote> Okay you played in one event I guess that makes you an Expert. <font color="blue"> </font color>

bsmutz
11-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Seesha,
It sure seems like you've been taking lessons from Earl on how to relate to/communicate with others. You're definitely one of the most obnoxious posters to come along for awhile, regardless of the validity of any of your points.

wolfdancer
11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Sheesh,how can you say anything like that?

(Sheesh....used to express disappointment, annoyance, or surprise)

Deeman3
11-17-2006, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote> Okay you played in one event I guess that makes you an Expert. <font color="blue"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote> <font color="black">

How many events have you played in Sheeh? Does attending a bunch of events over the years and sticking your nose up Earl's butt make YOU an expert? What a jerk? or Jerkess? Do you know F/L?</font color>

DeeMan

dg-in-centralpa
11-17-2006, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote sheesha:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote> Okay you played in one event I guess that makes you an Expert. <font color="blue"> </font color> <hr /></blockquote> <font color="black">

Do you know F/L?</font color>

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

My thoughts exactly or could it be the Pearl himself trying to sway people to his side of the rants?

DG

sheesha
11-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Earl has more important things to do than to reply to the slander post here.People tend to become upset when the tables are turned.It doesnt feel very good does it?

dg-in-centralpa
11-18-2006, 05:04 AM
Your feathers have been rattled from your very first post. No one has "Slandered" Earl. This thread was about his actions, not how well he shoots, or about others "Dumping games" or rooting for foreigners. If you forgotabout this, please reread the initial post. No one here is doubting his playing ability or his love for the game, but his actions of losing his composure. Nothing more nothing less. I, for one, am willing to let this thread die, as you do not understand what we are saying, and you still have not shown us any proof about players dumping. I sincerely wish Earl the best and please tell him so. He is a joy to watch when his game is on.

DG - Happy Holidays to you and Earl

Bobbyrx
11-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Maybe you're onto something Deeman. Maybe its not Earl's fault after all. I would probably act like that too if everytime I moved my right cheek or left cheek ran into Sheesha's nose

Dagwood
11-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I never claimed to be an expert. But I've been around this game long enough that my opinions aren't entirely baseless.