PDA

View Full Version : Predator Z2 shaft experience

IA8baller
11-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I just recieved my new Predator Z2 shaft today and took it out for a test run to see if I thought I would like it or not. I wanted to see if I could see/feel a difference in my shooting with the Predator Z2 compared to my McDermott stock shaft. (I've heard good and bad reports and have seen the deflection ratings information out there and needed to find out for myself once and for all)

I have gotten used to adjusting to the deflection with my McDermott if I wanted to use a lot of english, but I've never felt totally comfortable aiming to "miss" a shot and let the deflection "right the ship" so to say so I thought maybe the less deflection of the Predator Z2 might be a way for me to be more confident on those types of shots. (for the record.....I generally use center ball high/low 90% of the time to stay away from the deflection issues, but sometimes you do need to get a few tips off center to achieve the intended path of the cue ball for break-outs, etc.)

Anyway.......long story short......I absolutely love the Predator Z2 shaft! I kept racking balls up time and time again at $1.00 per rack (bar table) and was simply amazed at how I could use english without having to compensate for deflection, I can simply aim and shoot as long as I don't get too extreme on the english. I was also impressed with the amount of spin/english this shaft induces with no extra effort. I wish I would have gotten this shaft a long time ago. I can't wait to play some more with it!

IA8baller
11-12-2006, 08:35 AM
I've now been using the Z shaft for 3 days and I'm finding myself quickly becoming more and more confident with my stroke using it. When using from 1 to 2 tips of right/left english for shots within 1/2 table I find myself not having to worry about re-aligning the shot in any way for deflection, I just aim like I would for a center ball hit and fire away and I'm getting such good results that I actually find myself relying on english a little more now than I ever have before to get the desired leave for the next shot. Not having to slow myself down to think about these things like I did in the past sure helps getting into "deadstroke"! Last night I ended my night of playing pool at the local bar in the next town down the road by breaking and running 3 tables in a row playing 8-ball and I haven't done that for quite some time (I had been breaking/running tables before now at a rate of aprox once out of every 3 to 4 games played, and occasionally 2 times in a row) The most impressive thing about my 3 table run to end the night (no one wanted to play me after that) was the fact that 2 of the games were not exactly ideal runnable tables, I had to get a couple break-outs in each game but I found myself playing with such confidence that the break-outs weren't even an issue at the time.

I'm posting this information to possibly help someone else out there that might be in the same situation I was in. I had seemed to hit that brick wall where I wanted to take my game to the next level but wasn't exactly sure what I needed to do to achieve that goal. I had seen/heard things about the Predator shaft that got me curious/interested enough to finally try it out for myself. I have played in the local 8-ball leagues for 12 to 13 years and have ended up in the top 10 of the standings (out of 90-100 players) every year for the last several years but wanted to set a goal of getting myself into the top 3 and possibly top player of the year on a consistant basis. I'm 38 years old, I do NOT have a table at home (yet) and practice a few times/wk. I have worked hard at getting a good, reliable, proper stroke and it has payed off. Now I think using this Z shaft will help me just enough to get at a new confidence level that will help get me over thet brick wall I was talking about. If nothing else it gives me a renewed dedication at trying to fine tune my game.

The Predator shaft is not a cure-all by any means so for those of you reading this......do NOT take it that way. A dedicated approach to getting a good stroke 1st is a MUST! From my experience, above average players are the ones who will understand the deflection issues well enough to take full advantage of what the Predator shaft has to offer (there are other shafts from what I hear/read too that would probably be a good choice too, like the OB-1, McDermott Intimidator shafts, etc)

I am not the type of guy who takes the time to sit down and type this stuff out unless I'm darn sure I'm not wasting my time. I only occasionally post on this and a few other sites but I am getting such good results with the Z shaft that I had to take the time to post this in hopes that another player or two out there might finally get curious/interested enough to try one of the few previously mentioned shafts.

Good luck to all of you and if you're ever in Wellman, IA and want to play a few games at the local bar downtown, just ask the locals to call Trevor down to play with you.........I'll be right down (if the wife lets me /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

wayne crimi
11-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Does the shaft feel "stiff" or "whippy" compared to other shafts you have played with?

I have 2 of the original Predator shafts. As much as I love the lower level of deflection, I prefer a stiffer hitting shaft.

IA8baller
11-16-2006, 01:55 PM
The hit feels stiffer than the McDermott shaft I had been using, that's the only thing I can truly compare it to.