PDA

View Full Version : Spanked!

MikeM
07-17-2002, 01:06 PM
I have been playing VERY well for the last couple of weeks. Structured practice and tips from this board have been paying off and I've really been in stroke consistently. Today I accepted a challenge from a gentleman who is another lunchtime regular. He usually beats me 7-3 or 7-4 and since we aren't playing for money they're good cheap lessons. Today, I thought for sure I would give him a tight match.

I broke first. That was my only break. We even stretched it to a race to 9 and I didn't win a game. He was shooting very well but I stunk. Any run I had would stop at the 7 or 8 and give him an easy out. I hooked myself repeatedly, even with BIH. If I made a shot the leave was bad, the only times I got good shape, I missed the object ball. Very frustrating. I just hope it doesn't carry over into league play tonite.

MM

Wally_in_Cincy
07-17-2002, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> I just hope it doesn't carry over into league play tonite.<hr></blockquote>

It might if you let it bother you.
I wouldn't worry about it. We all have days like that. Besides, your league opponent probably won't be as strong as your lunchtime opponent /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif.

Good luck,

phil in sofla
07-17-2002, 01:26 PM
This is an all too common story, and it's probably happened in one form or another to all of us here.

What can you point to as a reason for this? A difference in the equipment or conditions, making for longer ball roll than you have gotten used to, maybe? A little sloppiness borne out of confidence from your recent good shooting? Or an entirely psychological matter, the anticipation of finally beating this guy intruding into your shot making?

MikeM
07-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Actually tonight we play the top team in the league. They have won every session since I joined and they have four of the top ten players in the league! Now, I have beaten three of the four and know I can beat the fourth if I'm on and he's off. You're definitely right about the mental attitude. Fortunately I've surrounded myself with good players this season. I'm the worst player on the team and there's no pressure on me. Thanks for the words of wisdom, I'll keep you posted.

MM

MikeM
07-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Definitely pshycolgical. I have been playing exclusively on this table since it was re-felted last week. He had trouble in the beginning getting used to the speed. I just didn't seem to be able to concentrate like I have been in practice.

MM

07-17-2002, 10:25 PM
Hey Mike!
This used to happen to me exactly as you described. Perhaps you put too much time into drills and not enough into competition? Or, what is far more likely, you confused making more balls with playing better. Or you had unrealistic expectations of your progress. Try to figure out what actually applies. Knowing the problem is half the solution. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

MikeM
07-17-2002, 10:45 PM
Very good points Lorri. I actually shot very well in league tonight. I won three and lost one to the best player in our league (Robby Casteel the owner's son). I was a jump/cut shot in the side away from beating him. I need very much to test myself in tough competition. After league tonight I shot a very good player for $5 a game 9 ball. I should have demanded at least the eight from this guy, but played him straight up (macho thing you know). I only lost $20 and that's because I missed two nine balls. I played very well as I usually do when something's on the line. It's all in the head. I think I need to read one of Tom-In-Cincy's books to get my head in the right place.

MM

Chris Cass
07-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Hi Mike,

Don't stop the drilling. Don't stop the competition. The drills will carry over into your play but like vitamins. You stop taking them and you feel the difference.

Body language, facial expressions, should be as if your a poker player, when in a match. Convince your opponent your better and you'll convince yourself. Your game will go up, and they'll start missing balls. Everyday is a new day. If he's beating you on average 7-4. Then, just make it your goal, to get to 5. You'll go further and win, once you see how easy your goal is to achieve. IMO

Regards,

C.C.

cheesemouse
07-18-2002, 05:18 AM
MikeM,
Just keep on drilling Mike till everything you look at reminds you of a drill. Pretty soon those guys will be refusing to play you w/o weight.... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

griffith_d
07-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Good luck, I sure the game will come back around.

Griff