PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Internet

nAz
11-13-2006, 08:44 PM
old news video explaining the internet... wow how far has it come so far...

http://www.gogosurfer.com/Video/AncientInternet.html

wolfdancer
11-13-2006, 09:24 PM
nAz, The first thing I noticed from that video, was he mentioned there were few "put downs" on the 'net. that must be before the CCB got started.
It's amazing just how fast the internet took off, and how far it has come. My "hi-tech" skills were limited to taking some tubes from the TV down to Radio Shack, to test them.
They now have Creative Zen W which fits in your pocket and holds 30,000 songs, and 240 hrs of video.
I thought when the 33 1/3's replaced the 78's, that music playback technology had peaked. ...how could they ever improve on that?....My first record
player was a windup RCA...with steel needles...everybody sounded like
Rudy Vallee....even Rudy himself.
I bet that would be worth some $$ now...but as I remember, I took it
apart to study the mechanism...at age 8, this is what you
do....unfortunately at that age,the brain ain't wired to put things
back together again....come to think about it....mine still ain't.
I'm thinking though of getting one of them high tech customer service jobs....cable tv went down for a few seconds the other day, and took the internet down with it. The TV came back on, but not the 'net...so I called customer
service . I have a wireless network, and a splitter, on a surge protector. So I had to remove the splitter, plug directly into the wall, remove the wireless router, unload the cable modem....and somewhere in the middle he said, "now let's see what the book says about this".
Well, I'm dumber then he was, because after doing all this, to no avail....I began thinking bout the law of probability
what are the chances of all this other stuff failing just as the cable tv went down? About the same odds as Britney Spears coming over to my house and going....
I thanked him, and he said to call back if I had any more problems....
About the same time I got all the wiring replaced, the 'net was back up, and I was able to get on and start putting people down.
Do they pay these customer reps...or is it just a warm place to stay for 8 hrs, free coffee, and a lunch?

nAz
11-13-2006, 09:59 PM
lol funny post dude!

BTW who the hell is Rudy Vallee?

sack316
11-14-2006, 01:47 AM
couldn't get the video to load, but all this reminds me of is one quote

"We don't see the world market for computers going beyond 5 or 6 machines"

ah yes, how times change!

Sack

wolfdancer
11-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Sack, I think Thomas Watson made a similar remark, then took up golf, when he realized there was no money to be made in computers.
Or maybe that was Thomas Watson, the head of IBM?
I had 5 in my house here about 6 months ago (2 had problems)...had old Tom been kereck....I had cornered the world market in Computers.

Fran Crimi
11-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Yup. I remember those days. The first time I had ever heard about the internet was strangely enough from a homeless man. I used to buy him coffee and we'd sit and chat for a bit. One day, he started talking about the internet and he asked me if I knew about it. I kind of heard of it before but not in any detail. I said, "I think it's that device that the government can use to track you down, right?"

He looked at me like I had two heads. He said, "Girl, you don't know what you're talking about," and he proceeded to explain it to me using the words, 'information highway.' First time I had ever heard that expression.

He told me it was going to change the world. I remember being stunned and also thinking that this guy was a little nuts.

Fran