PDA

View Full Version : Cue Differences

Bassn7
11-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Please describe the physical and performance differences in a snooker cue and a billiard cue compared to a pool cue. Thanks for any insight.

Deeman3
11-16-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll describe my cues for each discipline and that might give you a better idea.

My Snookers cues are smaller in diameter, 9 to 11mm, and have a taper at the lower shaft. The smaller tip is because you are playing with smaller balls in this game. Some of these are one piece cues which makes it harder to carry around. I carry one of the two pieces cues while in America. Weights from 17 to 19 ozs. Length 58"

My 3 cushion cue has a much stiffer spine and is a little larger tip (14mm) with a shorter length ferrel. This is so you can really pound the ball in masse type shots and, for me, the spin seems to "take" better.The cue has a milder taper than the snooker cue. Weight 21 oz. length 57"

My pool cues have what is misnamed as a "pro taper" but actually has a straight length for the last 18" or so of the shaft. The tips are from 12 to 13.5mm on mine. I am more confortable with most draw and normal english shots with these cues but that may just be that I use them 10 times more than my snooker and 3 cushion cues. Weight 18-20 ozs. Length 58~59".

DeeMan

Cornerman
11-16-2006, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> I'll describe my cues for each discipline and that might give you a better idea.

My Snookers cues are smaller in diameter, 9 to 11mm, and have a taper at the lower shaft. The smaller tip is because you are playing with smaller balls in this game.

My 3 cushion cue has a much stiffer spine and is a little larger tip (14mm) with a shorter length ferrel. This is so you can really pound the ball in masse type shots and, for me, the spin seems to "take" better.<hr /></blockquote>I've played with several billiard cues. All of them had smaller tips than my pool cue and they were lighter. 12 mm or less in tip diameter. 17 oz weight. They were also all shorter, anywhere from 54" - 57" long. All of the true billiard cues I've shot with had a big wooden pin.

The only true snooker cues I've played with are single piece, ash shafts. I don't know what the 2-piece modern version looks or feels like.

Fred