PDA

View Full Version : Cue Case Innard's

Slickbald
11-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Where can I find / Who sells the ridged, foam, cue case inserts? I'd like to make a few cases myself and buying cheap cases at the flea market and stripping them seems wastefull and expensive. Thanks!

Slickbald

SPetty
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Slickbald:</font><hr> Where can I find / Who sells the ridged, foam, cue case inserts? I'd like to make a few cases myself...<hr /></blockquote>Howdy Slickbald,

There's some real good information in this thread:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=194173

Come back and post pictures when you're done!

SpiderMan
11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Slickbald:</font><hr> Where can I find / Who sells the ridged, foam, cue case inserts? I'd like to make a few cases myself and buying cheap cases at the flea market and stripping them seems wastefull and expensive. Thanks!

Slickbald <hr /></blockquote>

Slick,

Can you provide more description of the material? "Ridged foam" isn't ringing any bells with me. Another regular on here has been making cases with tube inserts imbedded in foam, then covered.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
That thread brought back a few memories....

DeeMan

SPetty
11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> That thread brought back a few memories....<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, back when this was a fun place to be... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman3
11-21-2006, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> That thread brought back a few memories....<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, back when this was a fun place to be... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yes,

I've even tried to cool my right wing opinions a bit lately....

It was a nice place to be and a good place to exchange ideas on pool but I guess I spent too much time on the NPR side. So how is your game going? Anything shaking at PettyPoint since I left? I miss our gatherings a lot. I get a taste for some tomales and front porch politics every once in a while. I wish I was closer. I don't know how Sid lives his lifewithout me to guide him now. LOL

Ace and I are meeting at Derby City again this year and he may bring a couple of my old Texas gang with him. I don't guess you have seen much of Tony "Molasses" lately. I know he hangs near Big D now.

Take care my good friend. I would drive a long way to get a SPetty hug...</font color>

DeeMan

SPetty
11-21-2006, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">So how is your game going?</font color><hr /></blockquote>Something has gone horribly wrong with my game. I'm about ready for my pool school refresher course. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">Anything shaking at PettyPoint since I left?</font color><hr /></blockquote>LeRoy has built another bed for the upstairs out of cedar trees from our place. It's real nice.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">I miss our gatherings a lot. I get a taste for some tamales and front porch politics every once in a while. I wish I was closer.</font color><hr /></blockquote>Yeah, me too.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">I don't guess you have seen much of Tony "Molasses" lately.</font color><hr /></blockquote>I've run into him a couple of times at Pugsleys - I still have his cooler on the PettyPoint front porch... It's getting kinda icky out there /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif .<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">Take care my good friend. </font color><hr /></blockquote>Back atcha, baby.

Slickbald
11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
I appreciate the link! Bob's methods and the following suggestions will do nicely if I can't find pre-made cores.
I plan to cover this cawe with hand tooled leather that will take me several days to create after I solve for the core. As a pro leather maker, it's the time that eats up my margins. A ready made product is what I really need.

I pulled the naugahide (do you know how many nauga's had to die...) off the mid-grade case I have, to find an injection molded foam core. Somewhere in Aisa they are cranking these things out by the gazillions. I just have to find the distributor. No case makeres are talking.

I'll use the core I have to make the first one. For those that have tried this method:

How long did it take to get to a coverable core? Man time, not cure time. If I could crank out 10 cores in 8 man hours, the ROI would be okay and I wouldn't have to buy cheapie cases at the flea market and strip them!

Thanks for the input!

Deeman3
11-22-2006, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Slickbald:</font><hr> I appreciate the link!
How long did it take to get to a coverable core? Man time, not cure time. If I could crank out 10 cores in 8 man hours, the ROI would be okay and I wouldn't have to buy cheapie cases at the flea market and strip them!

Thanks for the input!
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">My first efforts took about a full day (8 hours) to get 3 finished cores to start applying the leather to. On my next attempt, after collecting more material I made up about 5 cores in the same period. Of course, this may be done faster by a dedicated worker. I have always ascribed to the Maynard G. Krebs theory of "work" and was not particularily efficient. I use the foam method that Bob suggested and it works well for me. However, a couple things you have top get accustomed to. It can be a little messy and getting the liner tubes just right is the most difficult part, for me anyway. I love learning new things as a mechanical engineer (although not practicing for many years) and this process will teach someone a lot. If you have craftmanship in your blood, you can get some excellent results, Mr. Poo aside.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

DeeMan
Case Maker to the Stars.....

SpiderMan
11-22-2006, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">So how is your game going?</font color><hr /></blockquote>Something has gone horribly wrong with my game. I'm about ready for my pool school refresher course. <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm ... last night, SPetty made a ball on the break 5 out of 5 times, and I made a ball on the break 0 out of 5 times. She knows something, and she's not telling.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>Hmm ... last night, SPetty made a ball on the break 5 out of 5 times, and I made a ball on the break 0 out of 5 times. She knows something, and she's not telling.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> No doubt SPetty is setting us up for the next tournament at PettyPoint..... </font color> I am going to Memphis for some good Q this weekend! I remember the picture of Coleman's you took for me a couple of years ago....I'll be thinking of you when I chow down on a couple....

DeeMan

SpiderMan
11-27-2006, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>Hmm ... last night, SPetty made a ball on the break 5 out of 5 times, and I made a ball on the break 0 out of 5 times. She knows something, and she's not telling.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> No doubt SPetty is setting us up for the next tournament at PettyPoint..... </font color> I am going to Memphis for some good Q this weekend! I remember the picture of Coleman's you took for me a couple of years ago....I'll be thinking of you when I chow down on a couple....

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

Dee,

The store on Mill Branch Road, just north of the Holmes intersection, is one of the few left that are still family-owned. It's also right around the corner from my childhood home, and I ate at this Coleman's many, many times in high school.

Last time I checked, Gene Coleman still runs this one himself. He can also be persuaded to play pool at the bar across the street. I'd guess him at about an APA 5 (this was three or four years ago), but he has fun anyway.

Do you still have family in the Memphis area? My folks have retired to Oxford, and I will be heading that way at Christmas.

SpiderMan

Deeman3
11-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Yes, I know that location but never met Mr. Coleman. My brother still lives in Millington. I did have a barbeque although only one as my diet was pretty well busted over Thanksgiving anyway....

I went to Highpockets and saw an old opponent/friend that reminded me of a story or two about Cleo Vaughn over in Blythville. I'll relate that some day as a new one I picked up in Memphis. This morning, I am backed up with work from being away for the last four days.

I went through Oxford on my way to and from Memphis. That's a nice town. My folks, for the most part are here in Alabama but I still have big ties to Memphis, of course.

DeeMan