PDA

View Full Version : Ideology Has Consequences

FatsRedux
11-20-2006, 12:48 AM
The American Conservative
Ideology Has Consequences

Bush rejects the politics of prudence.
by Jeffrey Hart

“Once you get to Baghdad, it’s not clear what you do with it. It’s not clear what kind of government you put in place of the one that’s currently there now. Is it going to be a Shia regime, a Sunni regime, a Kurdish regime? Or one that tilts toward the Baathists, or one that tilts toward Islamic fundamentalists? How much credibility is that going to have if it’s set up by the American military there? How long does the United States military have to stay there to protect the people that sign on for that government, and what happens once we leave?”—Dick Cheney

Smart man, that Cheney. The only problem is that he said that back in 1991 during the first Gulf War when he was secretary of defense in the administration of George H.W. Bush.

http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_11_20/article.html ………………………………………………………………………………………………

Lest anyone say this is a liberal "hit piece". This is from one of the, if not the most staunchly conservative sites around.

Fats

Gayle in MD
11-20-2006, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> Once you get to Baghdad, it’s not clear what you do with it. It’s not clear what kind of government you put in place of the one that’s currently there now. Is it going to be a Shia regime, a Sunni regime, a Kurdish regime? Or one that tilts toward the Baathists, or one that tilts toward Islamic fundamentalists? How much credibility is that going to have if it’s set up by the American military there? How long does the United States military have to stay there to protect the people that sign on for that government, and what happens once we leave?

Smart man, that Cheney. The only problem is that he said that back in 1991 during the first Gulf War when he was secretary of defense in the administration of George H.W. Bush. At that time, Brent Scowcroft was national security adviser and James Baker was secretary of state. Recently, Scowcroft has said that though he has been friends with Cheney for more than 30 years, he no longer really knows him. What has happened to Cheney is anybody’s guess. [ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Halliburton??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Very good article. And I agree, this administration does not in any way resemble Traditional Goldwater style Conservativism, and has given Conservativism, in general, a bad name. Let's hope, if a third party emerges, more than likely filled with those from the centrist positions of each party, and combined with Independents, that they end the wholesale bribery which has become the basis of our election process, and institute Public Financed Campaigns.

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
11-20-2006, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Let's hope, if a third party emerges, more than likely filled with those from the centrist positions of each party, and combined with Independents, that they end the wholesale bribery which has become the basis of our election process, and institute Public Financed Campaigns.

Gayle in Md. <font color="blue">

Gayle,

A shallow hope. There will never be a viable third party. The strongest of late is the Libertarians and they just get weaker with each election. We are stuck with two parties who seem not to serve anyone but themselves. I am sorry to make this observation and would love to have alternatives who actually have a chance at being elected but the process is simply too corrupt from both sides...

DeeMan </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
11-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I couldn't agree more! Sad, but true. Even the framers had doubts about a two party system.

Gayle in Md.

cushioncrawler
11-26-2006, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> .... Let's hope, if a third party emerges, more than likely filled with those from the centrist positions of each party, and combined with Independents, that they end the wholesale bribery which has become the basis of our election process, and institute Public Financed Campaigns ... <hr /></blockquote>
In Ozz, not many years ago, the feds actually voted on introducing public funding of campaigns -- the Democrats (a small new party) held the balance of power, and voted against it (i am not sure who paid them off) -- i now put them last on my ballot every chance i get. madMac (greenie).