PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new cue

07-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi,

I am just getting back into playing and have joined a small league. I would like to purchase a new cue and just wanted a few tips from you.

I am looking at cues for around $500. I have a few questions...

1. What is the "typical" starting weight? 19, 19.25, 19.5 oz?
2. Is it better to start out with only one shaft?
3. Soft or hard case?
4. Moori medium a good tip for an intermediate player?
5. Joint protectors -- a good buy?
6. Brands - good vs bad - Predator, Schon, Viking, Meucci?

I know that all of the above points are more of a personal preference than anything, I am just looking for a general consensus and a good direction to help narrow my search.

Thanks in advance for all your input,

Cory

07-17-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey there Cory!
Predator, of course! (Is there any other?) One shaft has done me fine for the past 7 years, though there are times I'd like the security of another (tournaments). Soft case uis OK if you're careful, real careful, but I prefer a hard case, because who wants to lose their investment? Weight, what are you comfy with? The heavier a cue, the more it helps keep your stroke straight, and it will also move the cue ball further than a lighter cue, but your arm may tire after long sessions. Joint protectors? I wouldn't be without them, especially for the new Uni-Lock joints. Mooris? I think they're a little pricey. I play with a Triangle, but only after heavy experimentation. Good Cheap tip. Good Luck!
Lorri

MikeM
07-17-2002, 10:37 PM
Cory,

Welcome! My first cue was a 19.25 oz. Schon STL13 purchased from Ebay for about $725. It came with two shafts, both with MH Mooris on it. I have since tried many different shaft/tip combinations, but none have matched this particular setup for me. I'm a fairly big guy so I prefer at least a 19oz cue. In your price range there are many options. I think you are on the right track with the brands you are looking at. I have shot with them all and for me the Schon has the best feel. If you also use a break cue, I don't think you need a second shaft, but it is nice if you decide to try different configurations. I would recommend a hard case and they can be found fairly cheap (I have too many, I might be able to sell you one). I have joint protectors on all my cues. Cheap insurance against a bent pin or damaged joint collar. Check out Ebay. There are always about 600-700 cues for sale and I'm sure there is something there for you to try. As a matter of fact I have an older Schon that I am not using that I might be willing to part with. Let me know if you are interested.

MM...stick around this board, it's worth the time.

Voodoo Daddy
07-17-2002, 11:24 PM
Schon sounds like the best bang Cory. They are as solid a cue you'll find in that price range. Sounds like Mike M. is willing to do a solid for you...I'd jump. The case, I would tell you spend a few more bones and get a Gusieppe {sp} Case, cant go wrong there. I will agree with Lorri on the Triangle...been using them 22+ years.

Voodoo

Cueless Joey
07-18-2002, 12:05 AM
I have Szambotti with 8 points, ivory joint/ferrules and buttcaps. It has barbells, spears and ivory checks.
550 takes it. Comes with a free Fellini alligator case. Both signed by Mosconi. Even has Willie's brass chalk holder and ivory cueball.
You pay shipping, I have a paypal account.
I also have Paul Newman's cue from The Hustler. That one costs a little more b/c I heard it has some collection value.

Voodoo Daddy
07-18-2002, 12:22 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Cueless Joe is a riot!!

07-18-2002, 12:38 AM
8 point GUS... I gotta have it. AHHHHHHH... drooling

07-18-2002, 04:13 AM
Sir: Which ever cue you buy should have a Predator shaft. The weight is a personal preference. Joint protectors are a must IMO. I prefer a hard case because it offers better protection. I use a Talisman tip. I think they are as good or better than a Moori and they are very reasonably priced. Good luck in your search.

griffith_d
07-18-2002, 06:35 AM
The cues, Predator, Schon, Viking, Meucci, all make quality cues, as they are all CNC made. I have a Meucci playing cue and a Predator BK break cue. Both a fine cues. But, if I was going to buy again, which I am looking, I would probably but a Schon. A friend of mine bought one and he said it shoots very nice. A lot of people rave about the Schons and cut down the Meucci (I have no problems), but you can get good and bad any CNC cue.

If you can afford it, you might try a custom from Barringer or Mike Gulyassy custom cues. They do not cost much more or the same as your above price range. You can get exactly what you want, right from the get go,...tip, ferrule, shaft, butt cap, etc.

http://barringercues.com/

http://www.babysproshop.com/

I do not work for them, I just like what I see.

Griff

07-18-2002, 08:54 AM
1. What is the "typical" starting weight? 19, 19.25, 19.5 oz?

2. Is it better to start out with only one shaft?

One if production, 2 if custom

3. Soft or hard case?

A tube type(Porper style) or George style case, avoid the soft

4. Moori medium a good tip for an intermediate player?

Talisman is a much better bargain than Moori, plays great

5. Joint protectors -- a good buy?

I have very many joint protectors, all NOT being used. But I wouldn't steer anyone away from them, especially if they are any kind of new to handling fine cues. I simply respect my cues and don't mishandle them.

6. Brands - good vs bad - Predator, Schon, Viking, Meucci?

In order by playability vs cost: 1. Predator 2. Schon 3. Viking 999. Meucci.

I'd probably try and find some cue builder's cue that I liked in the way it hit and have him build me a custom for the $500. THAT"S the cue you'll look back on in time and be proud of.

07-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Everyone,

Thanks so much!!! You have all been helpful. I will let you know which way I go. Thanks for the personal offers, but I really like to buy "new" items.

Thanks again and I look forward to participating here.

Cory

Michelle
07-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Well, everyone else has mentioned all of the cue and case brands that are good and available at your price range, so I'll leave that alone. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tip: I have found that most beginners will stick with what is already on their cue while they are learning/relearning their stroke, then switch to a layered tip when their game is ready for it. When I switched to a Moori medium, OI was amazed at how much more English I was getting, but would not have been ready for it right away.

Weight: I recommend starting with a 19.5, and then if you feel like you could use a little more "oomph" down the road, easing down a little. The lighter cue needs a little more control, and again, is easier to work with once your game is on.

Joint protectors: A must-have. Lint and dust and chalk will all eventually build up inside of the shaft insert and may make it harder (or in some cases impossible) to put the cue together over time. Clean equipment is important.

Hope this helps. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
07-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Cory,
1. Weight average is 19 oz. almost every major brand offers this weight
2. One shaft is a good start
3. Hard case is my recommendation, protects against accidents.
4. Morri Mediums are good tips for any level of playing ability. They promote good stroking.
7. If you get a soft case,, joint protectors are a good thing. If a hard case, they aren't needed.
6. Schön cues are the best for that price range