PDA

View Full Version : Care of phenolic tip

WoodMonkey
11-21-2006, 07:52 AM
I just acquired a break/jump cue at ebay, with a phenolic tip. How should this tip be cared for, chalked, etc.? Is it so hard that it should never need shaping or what?

Thanks

Rich R.
11-21-2006, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WoodMonkey:</font><hr> I just acquired a break/jump cue at ebay, with a phenolic tip. How should this tip be cared for, chalked, etc.? Is it so hard that it should never need shaping or what? <hr /></blockquote>All I do is chalk mine. I've never had to shape it. When it was new, I tried roughing it up a little bit, to help it hold chalk, but I'm not sure that did anything for it.

supergreenman
11-22-2006, 02:13 PM
While the phenolic tip is almost indestructable, you may find it smooths out over time from breaking. I will take a light metal file and give it a little wack every 2 or 3 months.

ceebee
11-22-2006, 09:45 PM
A phenolic tip shouldn't need reshaping (after you have originally shaped the tip for your use).

Yo can lightly rough the surface with some 80 grit paper &amp; the tip will hold chalk rather well. Nice touch for a phenolic tip.

polar
11-26-2006, 06:36 PM
ive been playing w a phenolic tip for about a year now and just about once a day, 6-8 hrs of play, i take a piece of sandpaper and just scrape a small layer off the top to ensure that the chalk will take well. the tip gets a little smooth after breaking and jumping about 20 to 30 times. just a small layer ive found is the key to not miscueing while making a jump.