PDA

View Full Version : For all Cue Makers: Inlays or Stickers

Bassn7
11-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Numerous cues on e-bay claim to be inlaid. I'm sure numerous cues are just good sticker jobs. What are the tell tale signs of the fakes when you have it in your hands? I'm thinking there should be slight differences in each inlay. Each should be slightly unique. Thanks for any input.

jjinfla
11-22-2006, 03:34 PM
That is a great question. A cue maker here showed me a Fury cue and said it was a decal. I was stunned. So if you can't tell the difference, unless you sand it, why pay the extra bucks for the inlaid one?

It will be a shame if the cheap knock offs end up being just as good as the hand made cues.

Just like cars now they have a genuine plactic dashboard and genuine pleather (plastic/leather) seats.

Jake

Bassn7
11-23-2006, 03:52 PM
It would seem pure mechanical physics that the more you put into a cue the less the solid "feel". Although it has no moving parts, a solid piece of wood would be most "solid". I still would like to be able to tell the difference.

BLACKHEART
11-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Ask a welder, which is stronger, a solid piece of pipe or the weld that holds 2 pipes together. The weld is the strongest part of the pipe. A solid piece of wood is strongest when bent against the grain & weakest with the grain. This only aplies if you can lean on that piece of wood enough to break it. Fortunitly MOST of the forces on a pool cue are directed at the ball & the end grain absorbs the brunt of the abuse. So strength really doesn't apply to pool cues, very much. On the other hand cutting a pocket for a point actually strengthens the wood around it. You have the grain of the wood & then the added strength of the point wood AND THE GLUE. As for a hole for a 1" diamond, I don't see any difference good or bad...JER

MrLucky
11-24-2006, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> That is a great question. A cue maker here showed me a Fury cue and said it was a decal. I was stunned. So if you can't tell the difference, unless you sand it, why pay the extra bucks for the inlaid one?

It will be a shame if the cheap knock offs end up being just as good as the hand made cues.

Just like cars now they have a genuine plactic dashboard and genuine pleather (plastic/leather) seats.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">I would have to disagree on this! I had one of those Furys and I could easily tell the difference between its decal and my other cues Inlays! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

pooltchr
11-24-2006, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> That is a great question. A cue maker here showed me a Fury cue and said it was a decal. I was stunned. So if you can't tell the difference, unless you sand it, why pay the extra bucks for the inlaid one?

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="green">I would have to disagree on this! I had one of those Furys and I could easily tell the difference between its decal and my other cues Inlays! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sure you can tell by looking...but I would challenge anyone to take a Fury DL series cue (Overlay) and a Fury NR cue with inlays in a blind test and be able to tell the difference in the way they feel.
Steve

Cornerman
11-24-2006, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> It would seem pure mechanical physics that the more you put into a cue the less the solid "feel". <hr /></blockquote>This isn't true for many things. One reason is the idea that wood isn't homogenous. You can balance and strengthen a piece of wood using splicing and joining techniques. That's why the whole "a one piece shoots better," is pretty misleading.

Fred

MrLucky
11-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Steve ! I referred only to the statement that "you could not see the difference !" Of course, they will play the same if constructed similarly. that was not part of the issue as far as I understood in the post I made. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pooltchr
11-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Phil,
I agree the difference can be seen, although I've met a lot of people who can't tell the difference on the Fury cues. They acutally do a very good job on their overlays, and by placing them under the clear coat, it does make it a little harder to tell.
Steve

Cueless Joey
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
If it's cheap and it's an import....