PDA

View Full Version : A Dominant Eye Question

maxmillion
11-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Which eye should I use? I've seen many places describing the old test for dominant eye (placing finger out at say a cube of chalk at far end of table, closing an eye and seeing which eye the finger moves for}

But, I can make it move for both eye's and I can make it move without closing an eye. I just change eye's in my mind. I'm not even sighted, it's either one eye or the other. Is this common, it probably is but I wasn't sure because having a dominant eye really wouldn't be an issue if most people could just swap?

I can setup a shot with either eye, but I have to slightly put to cue to the side of my chin that I choose to be looking straight down it. If I setup a shot with my right eye and change to my left when down on the shot, everything goe's way out of perspective.

I play right handed so which do you guy's think would be the best?

dr_dave
11-27-2006, 07:54 AM
FYI, this issue has been discussed at great length here several times. There is always lots of disagreement. You might want to check out some of the postings under "dominant eye" under "aiming" here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote maxmillion:</font><hr> Which eye should I use? I've seen many places describing the old test for dominant eye (placing finger out at say a cube of chalk at far end of table, closing an eye and seeing which eye the finger moves for}

But, I can make it move for both eye's and I can make it move without closing an eye. I just change eye's in my mind. I'm not even sighted, it's either one eye or the other. Is this common, it probably is but I wasn't sure because having a dominant eye really wouldn't be an issue if most people could just swap?

I can setup a shot with either eye, but I have to slightly put to cue to the side of my chin that I choose to be looking straight down it. If I setup a shot with my right eye and change to my left when down on the shot, everything goe's way out of perspective.

I play right handed so which do you guy's think would be the best? <hr /></blockquote>

jjinfla
11-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I like Bob Byrne's answer to the dominant eye question, "if you have to be told to put one eye over the cue, you are a hopeless case and should stick to bowling". "Do what feels right, there is no correct way to stand".

Jake

BigRigTom
11-27-2006, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I like Bob Byrne's answer to the dominant eye question, "if you have to be told to put one eye over the cue, you are a hopeless case and should stick to bowling". "Do what feels right, there is no correct way to stand".

Jake <hr /></blockquote>
I have trouble determining my dominant eye too so I have just quit trying to and I don't worry about it. I try not to even think about it.
I think the "Correct" way to stand is the one that is comfortable and gives you the best consistency when delivering a straight stroke. It will almost definitely be different for lots of us.
It is silly to try to reinvent the wheel though and why not benefit from other's experience and studies.
Objectively listen to other's advise, try what makes sense to you and use what works.

bsmutz
11-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't have a dominant eye either. I play with my head lined up evenly over the line of the cue, using binocular vision to line up the shot. I notice when I'm shooting and trying to focus on the contact point on the object ball, that my focus sometimes rapidly shifts from one eye to the other. I've learned by trial and error that it is not a good idea to take the shot while my focus is doing this. Consequently, I'll wait until my eyes settle into and hold on the contact point, then shoot.