PDA

View Full Version : A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives

nAz
11-26-2006, 11:30 PM
would be nice if they managed to keep these promises...

Tuesday, November 14th, 2006
A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives ...by Michael Moore

To My Conservative Brothers and Sisters,

I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You are in a funk, and I understand.

Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans. You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and, to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.

Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:

Dear Conservatives and Republicans,

I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:

1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs. We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with us.

2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral." Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful gift.

3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and we will balance it for you.

4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake or a lie.

5. When we make America the last Western democracy to have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor, regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones, we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.

6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation, when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.

7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.

8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment you were conceived.

9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.

10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you -- and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.

11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."). We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting a good example for the rest of the world.

12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.

I promise all of the above to you because this is your country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of the world.

Signed,

Michael Moore
mmflint@aol.com

pooltchr
11-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Considering he is just another Hollywood personality, and not in a position to keep any of his promises, it really doesn't carry much weight.
Some of what he says sounds good on the surface, but as we have discussed in other threads, things like socialized medical care may not be in the best interest of the country.
Talk is cheap. Let see what the Liberals (His self-applied term, not mine) actually do.
Steve

SpiderMan
11-27-2006, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>
would be nice if they managed to keep these promises...

9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.
Signed,

Michael Moore
mmflint@aol.com <hr /></blockquote>

Geez, what an idiot. I can only pray for gridlock. The second amendment is NOT about deer hunting. And if I had kids, I think I'd protect them with my (non-hunting) handgun rather than my deer rifle. The best tool for the task is not the one you leave at home!

SpiderMan

Fran Crimi
11-27-2006, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would be nice <hr /></blockquote>

Would be nice if you posted that at the site below instead of a billiard owned website.

political forum (http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/)

moblsv
11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
I will make a bargain with the Republicans. If they will stop telling lies about Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them. - Adlai Stevenson

Gayle in MD
11-27-2006, 10:35 AM
ROTFLMAO ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hey, that's a good one! thanks for the laugh friend...

Love,
Gayle

hondo
11-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm lost. Why do we have to post just pool related
subjects on the NON-POOL RELATED forum?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

Would be nice if you posted that at the site below instead of a billiard owned website.

<hr /></blockquote>

Drop1
11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Relax,your not as lost as Fran is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm lost. Why do we have to post just pool related
subjects on the NON-POOL RELATED forum? <hr /></blockquote> You don't Fran is just having a moment. Now back to you being lost, is there anything else you need to admit? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r

Barbara
11-27-2006, 07:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Relax,your not as lost as Fran is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Who the HELL are you to say that?! If you really believe that, then you're just as lost on this NPR side to post all your political posting crap that you do.

What you have all brought on to this board is an air of hostility that BD has never intended to have. That the moderator hasn't shut you all down speaks volume of the tolerance he/she has for you all. This is a privately maintained site and paid for by a privately owned business. AZBilliards shut a bunch of you down because the OWNER doesn't want HIS site to turn out like this has.

Just go here: http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/

Take your discussions where more than 5 people will participate. Thank you.

Barbara

Drop1
11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I guess the owner has not limited political posts,because he,or she, thinks they make a contribution to the non pool side of the Board. I have had good comments,and not so good,from both Hondo,and Fran. By the way who in hell are you. Take your attitude,roll it into a ball,and shove it.

Barbara
11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Well let's start that ball rolling.

Go [censored] yourself. How's that for a politcal statement? You really need to see your [censored] for what you are. Dick head. You are a total [censored].

Barbara

Drop1
11-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Probably as good as you can do,not too original.Please feel free to continue.

Qtec
11-27-2006, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What you have all brought on to this board is an air of hostility that BD has never intended to have. <hr /></blockquote>

The only hostile poster here is YOU! You NEVER argue a point but you are very quick to attack certain posters.
eg,

[ QUOTE ]
Who the HELL are you to say that?! If you really believe that, then you're just as lost on this NPR side to post all your political posting crap that you do.
<hr /></blockquote>

When you were saying[ and many others], "look, Alu tubes, what more proof do you need", I was saying, NO, this is not right. The evidence does not support this conclusion.

"Saddam is trying to get Yellowcake from Niger', I said , this is not right. The evidence does not support this conclusion.
The Wmds, I said there was no evidence.

guess what, crazy Q got it right and you all got it WRONG.
Isn't that whats bothering you? You swallowed the crap and you just don't want to admit you got it wrong. Is it possible that I was beter informed than the CIA etc?
All you guys need to do to stop the political posts is to admit the truth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Here,s a Q for you. The Iraqi Govt has been in power for almost 2 years and yet nothing has been decided.
How come they are still there?

Q.........is it the threads or the content?

Qtec
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Well let's start that ball rolling.

Go [censored] yourself. How's that for a politcal statement? You really need to see your [censored] for what you are. Dick head. You are a total [censored].

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. The problem with this board is...........and I,m glad Barbara has brought it to our attention.....is....more
personal attack and [censored] the debate!

....how about a thread where you have to fill in the blanks on B's response? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Adult only thread? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Q............LOL

DickLeonard
11-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Barbara feel free to call him a #### head.####

hondo
11-28-2006, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Well let's start that ball rolling.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

I just want you to know that I love each and every one
of you.

Drop1
11-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Class will out,but only when a person has some class. And I have to say class is something you have plenty of.

nAz
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

<hr /></blockquote>

lol
Hey now, why not tell me what can and can not be posted in the non pool related section of this billiard owned website. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

Geez, what an idiot. I can only pray for gridlock. The second amendment is NOT about deer hunting. And if I had kids, I think I'd protect them with my (non-hunting) handgun rather than my deer rifle. The best tool for the task is not the one you leave at home!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

You know I have no problems with honest responsible adults owning hand gun... but when it come to semi auto assault style weapon... well that just seems wrong.
don't get me wrong i love shooting them too but I have no problem giving up the joy if there is a chance that it will save someone life.

SpiderMan
11-29-2006, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

You know I have no problems with honest responsible adults owning hand gun... but when it come to semi auto assault style weapon... well that just seems wrong.
don't get me wrong i love shooting them too but I have no problem giving up the joy if there is a chance that it will save someone life. <hr /></blockquote>

Naz,

You seem like a pretty decent guy. If you gave up every gun you owned, it would not save any innocent lives, because you wouldn't have murdered anyone anyway. The same is true of me. On the other hand, Joe Criminal is not likely to turn his guns in at the same time. He may actually feel more secure and emboldened in his criminal behavior.

I realize this is an old and often-used argument, but that's because it's quite sensible.

SpiderMan

FatsRedux
11-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Let's not forget why gun ownership rights were enshrined in the Second Amendment: to allow the people to have the means to fight back if the government ever becomes tyrannical and attempts to deprive them to deprive them of their liberty.

Fats

hondo
11-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Sorry, Naz. I'm with Fats &amp; Spidey on this one.

Chopstick
11-29-2006, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

Is it possible that I was beter informed than the CIA etc?

<hr /></blockquote>

What can I say? You th man. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chopstick
11-29-2006, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

don't get me wrong i love shooting them too but I have no problem giving up the joy if there is a chance that it will save someone life. <hr /></blockquote>

Naz,

You seem like a pretty decent guy. If you gave up every gun you owned, it would not save any innocent lives, because you wouldn't have murdered anyone anyway. The same is true of me. On the other hand, Joe Criminal is not likely to turn his guns in at the same time. He may actually feel more secure and emboldened in his criminal behavior.

I realize this is an old and often-used argument, but that's because it's quite sensible.

<font color="blue">I ran across an interesting statistic that relates to what you guys are talking about. It has to do with concealed carry licenses. No police officer has ever been injured by a firearm that was legally registered and the owner had a concealed carry permit. I image the number for legal assult type rifles is about the same.</font color>

Deeman3
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Chopstick,

You may know I own a collectiojn of fully automatic weapons. These are "machine guns", not the semi-auto toys that nAz is discussing. However, they have been illegal, outside a very expensive and time consuming process since 1934 or so (don't hold me to that date). Anyway, there has never been a murder with any of these weapons. Of course, there are criminals who have made their own or illegally brought them into the country who have killed with such weapons, mostly themselves. The point many have made here is that these criminals will certainly continue to break the law even if we outlaw my M-16's. Why do not rational people get this?

DeeMan

Chopstick
11-30-2006, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Chopstick,

You may know I own a collectiojn of fully automatic weapons. These are "machine guns", not the semi-auto toys that nAz is discussing. However, they have been illegal, outside a very expensive and time consuming process since 1934 or so (don't hold me to that date). Anyway, there has never been a murder with any of these weapons. Of course, there are criminals who have made their own or illegally brought them into the country who have killed with such weapons, mostly themselves. The point many have made here is that these criminals will certainly continue to break the law even if we outlaw my M-16's. Why do not rational people get this?

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

We never got around to talking about your collection. Sounds cool. Maybe I'll get to see it some time. How much does a Federal Firearms license cost? I didn't know it was that expensive. There are some gun ranges here in Orlando that will let you rent a sub-machine gun for an hour have use it at their range. They used to run an ad on TV with a little old lady shooting an oozi.

I have some liberal freinds that I have discussed this with before. They always bring up how many children that have been accidently killed by guns in the house (because even one is too many). While this arguement is on the surface irrefutable, it does lack perspective. There is another item in every household that has accidently killed more people, children included, than every privately owned firearm in history combined. The electric lamp. Should we pass a law banning them over a certain wattage? Even coffee tables have killed more people that guns in the house have.

People are always making these empassioned arguements about this cause or that with no perspective at all. I'll save the rest of this rant for another time. Gotta work now.

Deeman3
11-30-2006, 07:20 AM
While the Federal Liscense is not prohibitive, you have to have a $1,000 tax stamp and that's where it gets a bit expensive. I do keep my autosears very separate from my weapons and am very conscience of storage, security even to the point where I keep only one full auto in my home to prevent someone trying to loot my house looking for the rest. Another funny consideation is actually shooting the damn things. Put several hundred rounds a minute through a weapon and it gets pretty expensive and reloading for a whole winter for 30 minutes of rock and roll in the Summer is just too much work. The Thompson, for instance, can cost around $.35 every time a bullet exits the end of the barrel! A normal .45 automatic pistol or .30-06 is much more cost effective at eliminating Omar...or even these Gators you keep sending up to us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeeMan

Chopstick
11-30-2006, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> A normal .45 automatic pistol or .30-06 is much more cost effective at eliminating Omar...or even these Gators you keep sending up to us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeeMan <hr /></blockquote>

LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I never thought about the cost of ammo. Let's see $.35 at a cylclic rate of say 550, I think that's what Thompsons do, that's $192.50...a minute. Yeeeouch! I guess you'd really have to be mad at somebody to unload that on em.

Reminds me of Chris Rocks routine, don't worry about the guns, just make bullets cost $5,000. One thing you could be sure of, there wouldn't be any innocent bystanders gettin shot. And if you did get shot by mistake you wouldn't have to worry about going to the doctor cause who ever did it would come take their bullet back! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Somebody must have been really mad at him, they put $50,000 worth of bullets in his a$$. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would blow you away, if I could afford it! Soon as my loan comes through I'm gonna be back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good idea about storin the sears seperately. Technically, it ain't illegal if the sear ain't in it.