PDA

View Full Version : Floor Covering for Gagage to Pool Room Upgrade

BigRigTom
11-27-2006, 10:35 AM
I have my Brunswick Sierra Pro 8 in my garage and am getting ready to redo the floor. The garage is really our rec room.
Any advise from all you rec room designers/pool playing fanatics?
Being in Southern California, the tempature variance is not a real big issue. My garage floor is currently concrete....really rough on the legs after an 8 to 12 hour marathon walking around the table.
I want a nice looking floor that will reduce the leg fatique yet be moisture resistant and hard enough to withstand the weight of the table and at the same time endure the constant traffic of walking around the table.
I have looked at a lot of options but have not seen anything that really rings true to be THE ONE for me.

bsmutz
11-27-2006, 11:04 AM
You really can't beat carpet with a pad underneath to get rid of the fatigue/pain factor of standing on concrete for hours at a time. I seriously considered (and still am) just putting carpet around the tables instead of underneath. Home Depot and Lowe's carry six foot wide carpet. My main worry was how to make the seams stick so they didn't become tripping hazards. If you clean the concrete enough, double stick carpet tape will work pretty good. The carpet is also cheap enough to replace as it wears out, but it should last a few years even with daily play. Another (way) more expensive alternative is to use anti-fatigue mats around the table. These can be bought in interlinkable squares so you only need to buy enough to fit the area around the table. My last choice would be to put the fake hardwood floors with the thin blue foam underlayment. It would be softer than the concrete, but I have no idea what the wear characteristics are and I doubt it would be as soft as carpet with a pad. My $.02.

Rich R.
11-27-2006, 11:13 AM
I would suggest a good quality, possibly commercial grade, of indoor/outdoor carpet.

BigRigTom
11-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I did consider this as I had carpeting before. When the hot water heater cracked and flooded the old carpet that was when I decided I had to go another direction. I want something that is easy to clean. I have a pergo floor in the kitchen and foyer (Granite look) and have thought about maybe doing the same except in a wood grain in the garage but was not sure that would be smart.....also I have dogs (2 Golden Retrievers and a Belgium Sheep Dog) and their paws are really noisy on the pergo tile....the sound resonates unbelievably. Sounds like a buffalo herd at feeding time in there. Also considered astro turf for the sporty look but have not found anyone who tried that so don't know how that would be on spills or pet spots when cleaning is necessary.
We tend to tip a few beverages while playing pool so there are also the human spills to contend with including my 3 years old who is learning to play pool but does not always know what to do with the half drank juice box. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif ...at lease he has not tried to set it ON the table yet.

hhsaloon
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
My table was down in the garage on burber (sp) carpet and it never wore out. With your dogs, however, their nails may catch in the loops. My dogs occasionally came down in the garage and I noticed a loop pull or two. I spilled all sorts of beverages and it was very little trouble to clean it up.

After taking out a wall, I moved the table upstairs on brand new carpet, but not very expensive i.e. low quality, shag style (Iím not a carpet connoisseur). This carpet showed its wear around the table in less than a year and looked like pure hell after 3 years, or so I was informed by my girlfriend which I met about that time.

About 2 months ago I ripped out the carpet (I refer you to the previous paragraph) and installed 3/4" hard wood flooring (Home Depotís least expensive 3/4"). Since I installed it, it wasnít that expensive (relatively). The way the table looks (oak on oak), in conjunction with the new cloth (burgundy), is remarkable. Hard wood doesnít care too much for moisture though, as your post mentioned being a requirement.

I also have pergo in the kitchen so I can appreciate large dogs (2 labs) clickity clackin on the floor. It is amusing though when they come running for the food bowl, running in place like cartoon dogs until the grip takes hold. The floating aspect and point load allowances of pergo would concern me. Initially I was going to install pergo instead of hard wood and was about to confirm point load with the mfg when I noticed that, from a material standpoint, the hard wood was not significantly more expensive than the pergo I was looking at.

With respect to astro turf Ė a friend has it in his garage/sports room. He does not have a pool table, but beer does get spilled on it, especially by the time the 8:00pm (EST) game comes on. Spills donít seem to be a problem. We also painted a scaled down version of the Cowboyís field on it - yard lines, hash marks, numbers and the star on the 50. So, something like that could contribute to the sporty aspect you referred to, your team's field of course.

It really depends on how long you want it to stay in a condition that is acceptable. Keep in mind that, if after a year or two, you donít like how the carpet looks, you will be paying (unless you can do it yourself)for disassembly-new cloth-and reassembly of the table in order to replace the flooring. I might factor that cost into your overall decision to justify a higher quality version of whatever material you decide on.

Good Luck.

Rich R.
11-28-2006, 04:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr>I have a pergo floor in the kitchen and foyer (Granite look) and have thought about maybe doing the same except in a wood grain in the garage but was not sure that would be smart.....<hr /></blockquote>Any hard surface, weather wood, tile, etc. will be hard on your legs and feet, as the hours go by.

If you don't mind the look, there are interlocking padded squares that are made primarily for workshops, that may work. They defilitely will not get you a shot at the best home pool room, in Billiards Digest, but they would be easy on your legs and easy to clean up. I know they wouldn't meet the "wife acceptance factor" in my house.

Brian in VA
11-28-2006, 08:01 AM
For what it's worth Tom we just finished renovating our lowest level of the house and I finally got my pool room. The floor was a concrete slab (not very flat either) and we had to decide what to put down over it. Our contractor spent some time leveling it in the worst spots and we finally installed a "floating floor" of bamboo. This is actually a wood floor with interlocking boards that is not adhered to the subfloor in any way. An underlayment goes down first and we went for the better stuff; it's a vapor barrier and has a slight give to it. The result is a floor that looks great, was environmentally friendly to produce and is very comfortable to walk on. It also has a 30 year wear guarantee and we have two dogs and two cats so that is an important factor to us.

The only drawback so far is the noise of the critters on it. I expect at some point we may wind up with some runners to reduce that but maybe not.

As far as playing on it, I've played for 5 hours at a stretch with no fatigue from the floor. The table (9 foot Brunswick Anniversary) is perfectly flat after 90 days.

We got our from Lumber Liquidators (DIY place) and it ran about $3.85 a square foot all in.

Brian in VA

BigRigTom
11-28-2006, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> For what it's worth Tom we just finished renovating our lowest level of the house and I finally got my pool room. The floor was a concrete slab (not very flat either) and we had to decide what to put down over it. Our contractor spent some time leveling it in the worst spots and we finally installed a "floating floor" of bamboo. This is actually a wood floor with interlocking boards that is not adhered to the subfloor in any way. An underlayment goes down first and we went for the better stuff; it's a vapor barrier and has a slight give to it. The result is a floor that looks great, was environmentally friendly to produce and is very comfortable to walk on. It also has a 30 year wear guarantee and we have two dogs and two cats so that is an important factor to us.

The only drawback so far is the noise of the critters on it. I expect at some point we may wind up with some runners to reduce that but maybe not.

As far as playing on it, I've played for 5 hours at a stretch with no fatigue from the floor. The table (9 foot Brunswick Anniversary) is perfectly flat after 90 days.

We got our from Lumber Liquidators (DIY place) and it ran about $3.85 a square foot all in.

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Brian...you are the 2nd person that has mentioned the "Bamboo" flooring....
Do you have any pictures you can post?
It sounds like that may be what I'm looking for and I truly appreciate any additional info you have handy.
Thanks a bunch

BigRigTom
11-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks to all of you for your various input on this subject. I knew you would have some GREAT advise and as usual I am impressed at the willingness of everyone to try to help by sharing information.
Hope I can return the favor to someone when I happen to have the opportunity to share my own experiences.
All you guys and gals are simply great.
Thanks again.

TennesseeJoe
11-28-2006, 06:56 PM
If you do not have air conditioning---a dehumidifier is a must.

ras314
11-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Tom,

You might want to consider cork flooring also. I put in the type that uses glue to install the tiles over bare concrete, pretty easy to do. It isn't much cushion for the feet but is quiet. I notice a ball dropped on it hardly bounces, makes little noise, and doesn't dent the tile.

BigRigTom
11-29-2006, 09:08 AM
That is interesting but I thought that cork would be too soft. How does that hold up over time and what about cleaning up spills like beer, mixed drinks, juice or even doggy pee.... etc
I considered those garage floor tiles advertised in various mail order magazines but they are really expensive and I personally don't want to do the install. I am essentially a lazy guy plus I know that most professionals will do a much better job than I ever could.

Brian in VA
11-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I'll shoot a couple of pics on Thursday evening and post them here or email them to you. You can also see the stuff at lumberliquidators.com

Brian in VA

BigRigTom
11-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Either way will be great....if you post them here everyone will possibly benefit from your efforts.
Thanks again for all your efforts.

ras314
11-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Actually the cork tiles seem to hold up pretty well. Probably depends a lot on how well they a glued down so the corners don't stick up and get broke. I think they are recommended for wet areas like around kitchen sinks and whatnot as they are easy to mop up and don't get real slippery. I think a little less expensive than bamboo but they sure aren't cheap!

Run a web search on cork flooring and those places will make all kinds of claims. Haven't had dogs on mine though.

isumba1999
11-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Tom my sister has cork flooring in her basement where her bar area is located and she really likes it. It is easy to clean up spills. The only thing I have heard her say about it is that in the winter she runs a humidifier because the furnace removes a lot of moisture from the air and can dry out the cork and cause it to breakdown.

Tony_in_MD
11-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Not sure if you will like this idea but I will throw it out anyway. Have you considered putting down a subfloor overtop the concrete? If you have enough height in the room you can build up the floor with 2X4's and flooring plywood. The advantage to this is you can insulate the subfloor. You won't belive how cold a concrete slab can get even with carpet on top of it.

Brian in VA
12-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey Tom,
Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten about you. I've just been too busy to get some pics, download them and figure out how to post them. Hoping to find time Saturday of this week. Hang in there!

Brian in VA

BigRigTom
12-05-2006, 12:05 AM
No Problem Brian, I of all people know how easy it is to get side tracked and sometimes even overwhelmed by it all, especially this time of year.
I am still looking around for alternatives and I still think that Bamboo is the way I want to go. Would love to see your results and once I'm done will gladly share my experience with the whole ball of wax.
Will look forward to those pictures but don't freak out about it...... just do it when you get the time.

BigRigTom
12-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks to Brian, here are the pictures he took of his rec room Bamboo Floor.
The floor "looks" GREAT!
Sounds like you may be having some unforseen issues with the long term stability and quality of the installation......I would be interested to hear how that works out.
My son-in-law has volunteered to help me install it my self if I decide to go that way. I can buy the material at about $1.99 per sq.ft. on the internet but the installers I have talked to want anywhere from $2.50 to $3.99 per sq. ft. to install it .....!!!Can you believe that?!!!!
I am pretty handy but as I mentioned before I am also pretty LAZY. I WILL do it myself before I allow those guys to rip me off though.....I can not imagine how it could possibly be worth so much for the installation....of course I do live in Southern California and the prices here are a bit ridiculous on most things.
Thanks again Brian...happy holidays to you and your family.
http://BigRigToys.com/lib/bigrigtoystore/Bamboo1.jpg
http://BigRigToys.com/lib/bigrigtoystore/Bamboo2.jpg
http://BigRigToys.com/lib/bigrigtoystore/Bamboo3.jpg

Brian in VA
12-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Wow Tom! That was quick!

The issues I'm having have nothing to do with the install as the floor was installed with the finest underlayment available and according to the manufacturer's instructions. I believe it's one of two things. Either the relative humidity dropped and cause some shrinkage (although that shouldn't happen on the length of a board I'm not as familiar with bamboo vs hardwoods). Or the slight deviations from dead flat in my floor (my contractor fixed the worst of it) may be causing some "walk" that is creating tiny gaps in the joints. When I say tiny, I mean 1/64th of an inch. But it's noticeable.

After I get a chance to investigate further I'll get back to you.

Merry Christmas to all!

Brian in VA

Rich R.
12-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Brian, your table and room look beautiful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish I could help with your problem, but I don't know a lot about bamboo either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brian in VA
12-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks Rich! It's really a joy to have my own table and it has such character! I've been good about playing everyday on it, a minimum of 30 minutes of drills or playing some straight pool. The Mayor and I have had a couple of afternoon matches, too!

I really love the floor despite the issue. It's very comfortable to stand on for hours, looks great and is easy to care for. The fact that it's a very renewable resource is important to me, too. I truly think it's just our unique location. I have a couple of tricks I want to try and I'll keep everyone posted.

Happy New Year to you and Kathy! Hope you enjoy your newfound freedom! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA

Tony_in_MD
12-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Wow Brian!!That table and room look perfect together. Since it is in a basement, do you have any problems with a post or column?

Brian in VA
12-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Yeah Tony! I have one post that is just out of frame to the left of the picture. It's a 3 inch post that is occasionally in the way of shots. I have a short stick for those who need it but I try to shoot jacked up for the practice when I confront it.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Now if I my game will only look that good someday! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA - diligently practicing.

wolfdancer
12-26-2006, 11:20 AM
The floor looks so good I've decided to grow my own
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3020/bamboo001pm6.jpg

BigRigTom
12-26-2006, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Wow Tom! That was quick!

The issues I'm having have nothing to do with the install as the floor was installed with the finest underlayment available and according to the manufacturer's instructions. I believe it's one of two things. Either the relative humidity dropped and cause some shrinkage (although that shouldn't happen on the length of a board I'm not as familiar with bamboo vs hardwoods). Or the slight deviations from dead flat in my floor (my contractor fixed the worst of it) may be causing some "walk" that is creating tiny gaps in the joints. When I say tiny, I mean 1/64th of an inch. But it's noticeable.

After I get a chance to investigate further I'll get back to you.

Merry Christmas to all!

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>
I jumped on it right away when I saw the flooring. I was really glad to see those photos &amp; I agree with all the comments about your table and the floor. The whole room looks great together and I'm sure those small matters you mentioned will remain just that "small matters".
Happy holidays and thanks again for sharing. Hopefully I'll be able to show you some comparable results someday in the near future.

Brian in VA
12-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Now that's funny! Thanks for the laugh!

Brian in VA

Qtec
12-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Wolf, when I come visiting, you're gonna had to move that TV. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last week I was playing competition-club against club- and I,m 3-1 down , [ game is 9B ]and the guy snookers me on the 1b.
[ I,m playing in our club and the boys don't expect me to lose!]
Anyway, I get the jump cue out and survey to situ. The 9b will just go into the corner pocket past the 7 and the 1b is close to the 9. Its the thinnest of cuts but there was no other alternative- it was eveything or nothing- I had to go for it. The OB was at least 5ft from the Qb and I had to hit it almost straight on.
FK me if I didn't hit it perfect and the 9 sailed in! After that I made two 9 balls on the snap! I,m not joking. [ I can't ever remember making 2 balls on the snap.]
[ Also I would like t say that Colin's video on breaking has shown me how to hit the balls harder. [ now the only is keeping the QB on the table! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif]
I've been playing most of my life and I can still get pleasure from hitting a ball EXACTLY right. I get that in golf and tennis as well.
IMO there's nothing better than letting your stroke out on a stun shot to just to get the Qb to move 1/2 inch.

[Anybody ever seen John Parrot in his prime?]

Q

BigRigTom
12-29-2006, 11:11 AM
That is really a creative idea and I can't help but wonder how long it will be before you have enough bamboo to redo your floor. You may need more than one plant. Maybe you can let us know when you are done and also provide pictures so we can see how it turns out... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lanny
12-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Check out www.bltllc.com (http://www.bltllc.com) and look for their garage floor coverings.I'm planning to get the diamond tread.

Lanny

BigRigTom
01-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Lanny,
I did consider these floor coverings but the price is pretty steep for what you get. I pretty much decided that the cost was not in line with the quality and the durability. It would look great for a little while but it is too much like linoleum and cost a whole lot more than linoleum would.
I'm still leaning toward the bamboo.
Good luck to you though and if you do get that diamond plate installed post some pictures and let me know how it works out.

Shaft
01-01-2007, 10:06 AM
I have no personal experience, but I have recently heard disturbing rumors (friend of a friend of a friend...) about bamboo: that under the wrong conditions it cracks and splinters.

Repeat: I do not know if these rumors are true! But you may want to ask around and google the issue a bit more.
Good luck.

Keith Talent
01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Tom, if you're looking to save some dough, you could do what I did in my garage. I got carpet tiles from Lumber Liquidators online. Think they were something like $1.40 per sq ft. in the clearance section. Just glued them down on two layers of 1/2-inch OSB, which is about half the price of plywood. This was over 2X4s and insulation, but my place is up in cold country.

These things are rubber-backed and super-tough. I've got a bad leak in there and part of the room was soaked for months ... finally got it squared away and the tiles dried out fine, didn't even need to be replaced.

BigRigTom
01-02-2007, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Tom, if you're looking to save some dough, you could do what I did in my garage. I got carpet tiles from Lumber Liquidators online. Think they were something like $1.40 per sq ft. in the clearance section. Just glued them down on two layers of 1/2-inch OSB, which is about half the price of plywood. This was over 2X4s and insulation, but my place is up in cold country.

These things are rubber-backed and super-tough. I've got a bad leak in there and part of the room was soaked for months ... finally got it squared away and the tiles dried out fine, didn't even need to be replaced.
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Keith,
I am never opposed to saving money and I did consider some various types of carpet tiles but most of the ones I looked at were somewhere between suspect quality and just plain old cheap. I shied away from that idea because I don't want to go to all that trouble then have to do it over again in a year or two.
I don't mind the cost associated with bamboo if it truly is a long term solution. I have looked at the bamboo and it looks near indestructible as some folk claim it is plus when done right it has a really nice look that competes very well with the most expensive floor I've seen.
I am about ready to take the leap and will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks to everyone who have offered suggestions on this subject...now all I need is a couple of grand of loose change to sink into my new floor.....then if it is a mistake I will cry like a banshee! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

On the positive side, my wife will "hopefully" be so impressed with the floor that she will consent to that new Brunswick Gold Crown that I keep dreaming of.....he he /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif