PDA

View Full Version : Play in Tournament or Ring Game

jjinfla
11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
This past saturday I had the option of playing in a $10 tournament where the payout was 60-40-10 and I would be ranked about 8 out of 11 with a slim chance of coming in the money or I could play in a $1-$2 ring game with two other players who's skill is a bit better than me.

So I played in the ring game. We played continuously for 3 hours and I ended up losing about $20.

I think I made the right choice and had a lot more enjoyment for my money. Plus I played continuously and picked up some pointers.

Tournament play just takes too long and is too boring. With no spot it is almost certain that the better player will win and since three of these guys play/played on the FPT my chances really are slim of beating them.

So, which do you prefer? Tournament or Ring game?

Jake

Rich R.
11-28-2006, 04:38 AM
I prefer tournament play, but that is just my personal preference. Although I like watching ring games, I'm not fond of playing in them.

randyg
11-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Two different animals, love them both....SPF=randyg

dg-in-centralpa
11-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I would prefer to play in a tournament rather than a ring game. I also like watching ring games. For me, I'd rather play against someone better than me, just for the learning experience.

DG

Fran Crimi
11-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Ring games can be fun. I think there's more luck involved, particularly if you're playing with no safety shots, as ring games are traditionally played. I've seen players get on a bad luck streak due to no fault of their own, for game after game until the rotation changes, and then it turns completely around and they can't lose, no matter what they do. It's a nice change from tournament play but the luck factor can get to you after awhile, particularly if it goes against you, but it's still fun to do for a change.

Fran

VIProfessor
11-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I definitely prefer tournament or heads up play for a few reasons:

First and foremost, you don't play the entire game in a ring-game format. As a previous poster mentioned, the concept of defense goes out the window, for all intents and purposes. As such, playing primarily in ring games doesn't allow you to develop your safety play or your understanding of the all-important percentages that are so critical to playing the game of nine-ball.

Secondly, a ring game does not have the intense psychological warfare that is part of heads up play. In heads up play, even over the course of a single set, you often see where one player is subjected to pressure until he/she breaks down. This is a critical aspect of the game, and it just doesn't operate the same way in the ring format.

To sum it up, ring games are a lot of fun, and if your goals do not extend beyond being a purely recreational player, there is nothing wrong with them. If, however, you aspire to progress beyond the ranks of the ball-bangers, there is no substitute for heads up play.

Just my humble opinion.

Stretch
11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote VIProfessor:</font><hr> I definitely prefer tournament or heads up play for a few reasons:

First and foremost, you don't play the entire game in a ring-game format. As a previous poster mentioned, the concept of defense goes out the window, for all intents and purposes. As such, playing primarily in ring games doesn't allow you to develop your safety play or your understanding of the all-important percentages that are so critical to playing the game of nine-ball.

Secondly, a ring game does not have the intense psychological warfare that is part of heads up play. In heads up play, even over the course of a single set, you often see where one player is subjected to pressure until he/she breaks down. This is a critical aspect of the game, and it just doesn't operate the same way in the ring format.

To sum it up, ring games are a lot of fun, and if your goals do not extend beyond being a purely recreational player, there is nothing wrong with them. If, however, you aspire to progress beyond the ranks of the ball-bangers, there is no substitute for heads up play.

Just my humble opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

Good response Prof. i guess that's why i love/hate tournaments as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St. ~~it's a battle of wills~~

ceebee
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I like to play in all of the formats, Heads Up, Tournaments &amp; Ring Games. All the formats offer similar or different scenarios in the blink of an eye.

A Heads Up Match or Tournament Play requires that you employ your Safety Game, to get out of tight spots.

A Ring Game, with a rule of NO SAFETY PLAY, requires that you come with a shot, when required, or you sit down. Playing with 6 or 7 guys gets to be exciting &amp; fun or it can become depressing.

I never play in 3 handed Ring Games. That is trap for 2 players.

Good Luck...

Sid_Vicious
11-28-2006, 11:16 AM
"A Ring Game, with a rule of NO SAFETY PLAY, requires that you come with a shot"

That's why I resist playing om ring games. Besides possibly getting cut up, the idea of that possibility causes trouble when an A-player does honestly cough up a C-class shot, and give the next guy a final win for the cash. Subconsciously, many(I included) develop 2-way shots by instinct, and that dog won't hunt in a ring game if it's detected, even though there was no malice of pre-thought..sid

slim
11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
They are both such different animals, but great friendships can be formed in Ring Games.
Roadie posted a ring game concept overseas that is VERY interesting and our locals WANT to try it. Simply put, who ever sells out is the only player that pays, winner still breaks but the seller outer (is that a word? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) then follows the breaker in the next game.

ceebee
11-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Sid, we had some of that so-so shooting &amp; those rascals are guilty of causing the Ring Game to shut down sooner than usual. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to detect that kind of play.

I've had that so-so shooting to deal with, more than once. I just announce to the players, my feelings of distrust, &amp; purposely shoot the cue ball, to give the player behind me a chance to get a run going. The embarassment generally stops the shenanigans very quickly. If I doesn't, I quit playing. If the purpertrating player continues to be a s**thead, I don't play with them at all.

jjinfla
11-28-2006, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>
I never play in 3 handed Ring Games. That is trap for 2 players.

<hr /></blockquote>

You are right there. A few times I gave that a thought during the game. Very easy to do. But I doubt that these guys cared about the money. But who knows? If one guy can't make the shot then it is very easy to set up a shot for his partner.

A while back I watched a 5 man ring game where I thought that four of them were trapping the 5th.

A ring game will let you play under a lot more pressure. Every shot becomes critical. But you do get to play a lot.

Jake