PDA

View Full Version : WPBA Qualifying

slim
11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
I think I already know this answer as it seems obvious, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Are there other womens organizations outside the US where gals can qualify and play in the womens events here in the states?
On the other side of the coin, are there womens tours in other parts of the world where they allow the WPBA's top players to compete? If not, would it benefit the sport from a world wide perspective to make this a possibility?
With all the interest overseas in the mens arena, the probability of the next wave of great women players could easily come from this part of the world.

HarryDC
11-29-2006, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slim:</font><hr> I think I already know this answer as it seems obvious, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Are there other womens organizations outside the US where gals can qualify and play in the womens events here in the states?
On the other side of the coin, are there womens tours in other parts of the world where they allow the WPBA's top players to compete? If not, would it benefit the sport from a world wide perspective to make this a possibility?
With all the interest overseas in the mens arena, the probability of the next wave of great women players could easily come from this part of the world. <hr /></blockquote>

Slim

No to your first question!
Yes to your second question!
Maybe, Maybe not to your third question?

The WPBA a United States Tour is dominated by European and Asian players at this time. Interest for me declines with every new European or Asian player that shows up. Why don't you try the Euro Tour? Maybe the Women's division of the British Pro Pool Players Tour.

There is not much interest here in pool among the average American who doesn't play pool. The WPBA is the only really great tour in the United States. I only speak for myself though. I'm sure someone else may have more interest in new European and Asian female talent?

HarryDC

jjinfla
11-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Then on the other hand maybe the women should restrict the WPBA only to women who are US Citizens.

Women who come here from other Countries and win money and take it back home really can't contribute to actually promote or assist in running the WPBA.

Not to worry though, I doubt the WPBA will ever do that.

Jake

slim
11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Even if they do well the costs alone for everything are Huge. I am amazed at the ones that come here because of the cost of doing business. The gals have proven to be a better product to market than the guys. They appear to have a much better chance of giving pool the recognition it deserves than the guys.

Deeman3
11-29-2006, 03:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Then on the other hand maybe the women should restrict the WPBA only to women who are US Citizens.

Women who come here from other Countries and win money and take it back home really can't contribute to actually promote or assist in running the WPBA.

Not to worry though, I doubt the WPBA will ever do that.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Jake,

I think that might be a very bad idea. The U.S. Women have made great strides just because of the competition they now face. if they are to get to the top again, they will be best served by increasing their skills to match the Asian and European Players, not by excluding them for short term gains in the rankings.

We are seeing much the same happen in men's pool but it happend a little slower. It will just take some hard work and better player development for the U.S. to compete.
</font color>

DeeMan

Rich R.
11-30-2006, 04:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slim:</font><hr> The gals have proven to be a better product to market than the guys. They appear to have a much better chance of giving pool the recognition it deserves than the guys. <hr /></blockquote>You got that right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
11-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Deeman,

I mistyped, I should have said "could" and not "would". In fact I would not want to see them do that. It is better to watch the best women play.

Yes the WPBA sure has been doing an excellent job for the women. They pay out around $100,000 for each event with the added feature of the top 4 being on TV. They only take in $32,000 in entry fees.

Their business model must be pretty good to be able to add $68,000 for each event. The men still haven't figured out how to do that.

I don't know where the women get their money but it sure seems to be working.

Jake